Here's How: 1994

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 08/12/2019 23:55
  • Post subject: Here's How: 1994
The inspiration & motivation is thus; I've had several inquiries regarding methodology of chart building, along w/ suggestions to document my listening habits & formulation of rankings within dis here BEA diaries forum. As I begin winding down my audit of 1993 (a few dozen albs yet stewing & brewing within thee ol' 'wish list'), decided to use this opportunity of documenting my chart construction process... as I begin slogging thru the underground ROCK landscape of 1994. Yep, I'm perceiving it all thru a fanatic lens of Indie/Noise/Psych & Weird-Shit. But that's just the way I dooz it. Cool
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 08/13/2019 00:43
  • Post subject: Re: Here's How: 1994
NoisyBeast wrote:
The inspiration & motivation is thus; I've had several inquiries regarding methodology of chart building, along w/ suggestions to document my listening habits & formulation of rankings within dis here BEA diaries forum. As I begin winding down my audit of 1993 (a few dozen albs yet stewing & brewing within thee ol' 'wish list'), decided to use this opportunity of documenting my chart construction process... as I begin slogging thru the underground ROCK landscape of 1994. Yep, I'm perceiving it all thru a fanatic lens of Indie/Noise/Psych & Weird-Shit. But that's just the way I dooz it. Cool

Awesome! Looking forward to it! And of course I my coast just a bit in your jet stream. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 08/13/2019 01:14
  • Post subject:
Nice! You've certainly got some of the most exhaustive listening history of anyone on this site; looking forward to it.
  • Visit poster's website
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 08/13/2019 01:15
  • Post subject:
1993 wasn't exactly my favorite year for music. Upon updating my Top 100 chart, merely three entries from '93 broke through. Within my 1990's top 100, only eight albums were added from '93. And that's after listening to / ranking more than 400 albs from said year!! Shocked Sheesh!!!

For 1994, I'm limiting the total number of album rankings to 300. Hopefully!! Very Happy
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 08/13/2019 02:02
  • Post subject:
In anticipation of 1994, I recently started browsing thru BEA's top 94 rankings.
Jeff Buckley's "Grace" alb is numero uno. I've yet to hear it!!
Previously checked some of his dad Tim's old records (which are alright)... I'm guessing a bit o' high-ranking status hinges upon "Hallelujah" & a Leonard Cohen connection? Can't really say until I've heard the full album.
Next, I began browsing some '94 charts by several of those BEA users whom I love & respect. Love
...just to get an idea of what's currently out there.
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 08/13/2019 04:19
  • Post subject:
Step 1. Download CSV File

If there's a "First and Foremost" / or if I post nothing else on the subject of chart making....
...DOWNLOAD THE CSV FILE!

I cannot emphasize it enough... *** Download CSV File *** for each year!

Regardless of how you enjoy using this site, my #1 rule to building a solid chart for any single year is to utilize the most beneficial feature of BEA; Download CSV File.

You'll be able to view, rank, sort, edit & save the entire year's BEA album data in spreadsheet format!!! WOW!

On my iPhone and iPad, I prefer the remote cloud accessability of Microsoft Excel XLS data (download it from yr App Store).
Dropbox is my friend!!! Very Happy

On my iMac at home, I like using the "Numbers" program. Either way, you get to view the entire BEA list of albums for each year... including the obscure albums you may love; which appear only in custom charts.

Example: Select the "Statistics" tab >> Best Albums By Decade >> Best Albums Of The 1990's >> 1994 >> Download CSV File

Seriously... it's the most powerful tool I've found on this site. Building charts / Ranking albums would be SO extremely difficult and/or sloppy, careless without it!!!

I hope this helps!
Feel free to ask if any questions, and have fun listening to great music!! Very Happy

EDIT: I need to correct that statement about albums appearing within the year's CSV file.
BEA's downloadable CSV file is capped at 1000 entries, and only the albums which are already ranked within charts "earning points" (top year, decade, top 100) appear in the downloadable CSV files.

So, when researching outside sources for albums to upload to BEA's database... a LOT of albums are already there, but are NOT showing up in the CSV file... because they are only in custom charts.

Last edited by NoisyBeast on 08/24/2019 15:05; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 08/13/2019 05:27
  • Post subject:
oh hey, always glad to see more spreadsheet action. so I guess my main question would be how do you play with the data? Do you get into any custom formula stuff?
  • Visit poster's website
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2019 01:51
Tilly wrote:
Awesome! Looking forward to it! And of course I my coast just a bit in your jet stream. Very Happy

Jeff... my main man!! I've gotta credit you for encouraging me to give this forum a try. When was that... like, two years ago?? Think I pondered it for so long, fearing this forum would steal too much time away from actual chart making. But hopefully the exchange of ideas will benefit us all. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2019 01:56
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Nice! You've certainly got some of the most exhaustive listening history of anyone on this site; looking forward to it.

Howdy Chief! Funny, I just recently listened to a Lords Of The Underground LP from 93, and one of their song titles bears a striking resemblance to your own BEA handle! Cool Boom shaka laka!!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2019 01:56
NoisyBeast wrote:
Jeff... my main man!! I've gotta credit you for encouraging me to give this forum a try. When was that... like, two years ago?? Think I pondered it for so long, fearing this forum would steal too much time away from actual chart making. But hopefully the exchange of ideas will benefit us all. Very Happy

At least! lol. Glad to see you finally trying it out. I personally will love hearing your take on 1994.

I'm currently going through Sleater-Kinney's discog in preparation for their latest release.
  • Visit poster's website