Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 09/12/2019 04:57
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Interesting. So do you only use albums released before the album you’re considering as reference points to compile the rating?

Yep! THERE you go! NOW You Got It!! Dancing

Going back to the example of Beck's "Mellow Gold" (never intented to spend this much time on it); upon hearing the "Loser" song I had to think of "Pepper" from Butthole Surfers' 1996 "Electriclarryland" album... mostly because of the similar dopey beats, and abstract lyricism. But I can't/won't factor in any comparison of a non-existant reference point, in the sense that I haven't yet reviewed any albums from 1996. But I'll stack any 1994 album up against all others released that same year, or any artist/LP that arrived before it.

Similarly, upon hearing "The Downward Spiral" recently, I was impressed to notice some unique percussion that brought to mind Disc 2 of Meat Beat Manifesto's "Subliminal Sandwich" double album from 1996. Again, wouldn't be released until two years further down the road... so it's not factored into the score for NIN. But when I get to properly sit down with MBM as I'm reviewing 1996, more than likely "Downward Spiral" WILL be a reference point.
Aw heck, let's see how the whole thing breaks down...

The Downward Spiral by Nine Inch Nails
Back in '94 my roommate was the manager of a Sam Goody Records and she frequently brought home new releases, so I got to hear this when it first came out. Twas VERY abrasive compared with "Pretty Hate Machine" (and I had missed the "Broken" EP), so this was a fairly big leap. But Ministry had already crossed over to psuedo-Metallic-Industrialesque noise a while back, and Crash Worship were already at their peak of stinkin' popularity... so not as if the harsh soundscapes kicked up on "Downward Spiral" were entirely unprecedented. I thought it kinda sucked, and apart from the unavoidable/inescapable singles broadcast on Alt-Radio and MTV, never bothered hearing the album again until last week.

Trent Reznor was a self-avowed fan of Al Jourgensen and the Wax Trax! scene, so this album recalls one of Ministry's many side projects; "The Last Temptation of Reid" by LARD = 70.9513, but a much better upgrade thereof (plus 5 points) = 75.9513.

Possibly more ambitious than, but not quite so good (minus 3 points) as NIN's 1st album = 92.493

I actually like this album quite a bit more (plus 5 points) than NIN's "Broken" EP = 84.9332

One notch better (so it earns one extra point) than Ministry's '92 "Psalm 69" album = 85.3733

I don't recall which track features distorted vocals ala "Crash & Burn" from Ministry's "Twitch" album = 98.762, but that 1986 LP is a personal fave (still in my Top 100 last time I checked), which NIN doesn't quite live up to (minus 5 points) = 93.762

Some of the textural soundscapes bring the madness of J.G. Thirlwll to mind, but not so much Foetus as one of Jim's other projects; Steroid Maximus... like a much better produced version of the "Quilombo" LP (plus 3 points) = 75.2021

On at least one track of "Downward Spiral" there's a rhythmic quality that reminds me of the 1st Wiseblood album (again, JG Thirlwell) = 93.895

Same could be said of a similarity with some of the beats on 1992's "Pure" by Godflesh, although with more spit & polish (plus 2 points) = 75.615

75.9513 + 92.493 + 84.9332 + 85.3733 + 93.762 + 75.2021 + 93.895 + 75.615 = 677.2249 /divided by 8 = 84.6531

And, overall I had to deduct two more points off the total for the lengthy moments of rather unintersting ambient noise. Artsy filler.

84.6531 - 2 = 82.6531
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2019 03:22
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Got it. Yeah - I wasn't a huge fan at first, then it grew on me and I dig it, but it didn't like launch into amazingtown either. I don't have a good sense of comedy (we as the questions!) sometimes, so you are joking on the numbers, but your overall review is what you thought? I personally found the arrangements of guitar and bass intriguing. Few were writing in drop D like that in the 90s (for bass anyway). Some claim Radiohead or Muse ripped him off and I can see that, but I also feel like I'd rather listen to them before I put on Grace unless I'm hankering for something new. Anyway, to each their own. I just find the why fascinating.

Looking forward to more how.

Nun ja, es ist nur eben so ein geschmakssache Wink

I guess the funny thing is... that I really wasn't joking about the numbers (as they're essential to my process), but also wasn't expecting that element to be a detraction from the discussion of building charts. Think I'll give it some thought and hopefully find a way to deliver more of the "How" without so much arithmetic to clutter things up.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2019 03:37
  • Post subject:
Your methodology is either mad or genius... probably mad genius. No but seriously, it's pretty cool - I like how you implement something called a "horizon of expectations to your methodology. The concept is you can't expect someone from 1950 to put out a record that sounds like it came from 1990... or the meanings behind things in 1950 mean the same, etc... all I'm getting at is you reference things (or it seems you try to at least) that are reference points from before the time period the record you are reviewing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon_of_expectation

Anyway, cool methodology.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2019 03:39
  • Post subject:
I think your rating system is very cool. Controlled chaos, somehow both zany and formalistic. And I am in awe of your dedication to seeing this project through.

How did you arrive at your rating for this album? At 1946, the earliest in your ratings.

The Voice Of Frank Sinatra by Frank Sinatra
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2019 13:27
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
I think your rating system is very cool. Controlled chaos, somehow both zany and formalistic. And I am in awe of your dedication to seeing this project through.

How did you arrive at your rating for this album? At 1946, the earliest in your ratings.

The Voice Of Frank Sinatra by Frank Sinatra

Oh Jeez! d'oh! Frank Sinatra... well, we all have skeletons in our closet. I hate Sinatra. If you're a fan, I'm truly sorry but in a fit of frustration (or something) I gave a 5/100 to several dozen Sinatra albums all at once and within several minutes. I've never listened to that particular album, but I can assure you that I haven't played such a prank on any other artist. Hopefully a stunt like that won't discredit or delegitimize my entire rating scheme. Oh sure, I've given some really low scores elsewhere but those ratings are all sincere.
You may notice that rating was given back in November 2014, nearly five years ago, and it was completely immature. Maybe I should go back a delete all those 5/100 ratings. Think Nah! I just really dislike Sinatra. Not talking

Sinatra At The Sands by Frank Sinatra
Actually, I did give a 50/100 to the 1966 live album "Sinatra At The Sands", because I thought it really captures the essence of who he was, and I like Count Basie's orchestra. That's my highest rated Sinatra album
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2019 17:18
  • Post subject:
I'm not a fan of Sinatra either Laughing

Hate isn't the right word for my feelings, but I can definitely see why people hate him.

What about your next earliest rating?

Souvenir Album by Ella Fitzgerald
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 09/14/2019 01:57
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
I'm not a fan of Sinatra either Laughing

Hate isn't the right word for my feelings, but I can definitely see why people hate him.

What about your next earliest rating?

Souvenir Album by Ella Fitzgerald

You're absolutely right... "hate" (such a terribly poisonous term) isn't exactly how I feel toward Sinatra's legacy. But I really do think his music is just SO gawdawful boring, and his flat vocals are rather 'Johnny One Note'. Frustration arises when I observe the heaps of praise and high ratings are given for such overwhelming mediocrity. IMHO Laughing But, yeah... I'll even admit he's got a few decent songs throughout his career.

Regarding Ella Fitzgerald, I think she was an incredibly great artist!! The first thing I notice about "Souvenir" is that its got a 1947 release date... must have been revised, since BEA only went back to 1950 when I began rating. My favorite Ella album is "Sings The Cole Porter Song Book" = 82.055

Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Cole Porter S...Fitzgerald
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 09/14/2019 03:13
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Your methodology is either mad or genius... probably mad genius. No but seriously, it's pretty cool - I like how you implement something called a "horizon of expectations to your methodology. The concept is you can't expect someone from 1950 to put out a record that sounds like it came from 1990... or the meanings behind things in 1950 mean the same, etc... all I'm getting at is you reference things (or it seems you try to at least) that are reference points from before the time period the record you are reviewing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon_of_expectation

Anyway, cool methodology.

OMG! This is absolutely AmazeBalls!!! Laughing
Many thanks, and much appreciated!!!

"The horizon of expectations and rubrics invoked for a reader from previous texts will be aroused by a new text and are adjusted, transformed or merely replicated depending on the boundaries of the genre. A 'horizon of change' occurs when a reader's interaction with a new text results in invalidation of a 'familiar experience' or provides a new encounter. The 'distance' between the horizon of expectation and the horizon of change is called the 'aesthetic distance'.[7] A text of which no horizon of change occurs fulfills all of the expectations of the reader and can be considered 'light reading'. These interactions satisfy the reader's sense of familiarity in the way of 'beauty', romanticism and the expected happy ending. If a composition challenges a reader's expectation, it can do so either with a positive result in the way of a new perception, or a negative one as in an unpleasant new experience. These expectations however may dissolve, or a negative aspect of a new text may become explicit, and thus form its own familiar expectation and become 'part of the horizon of future aesthetic experience'."
Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

The "horizon of expectations" could entirely be the crux of all this chart building nonsense. I'll certainly ponder that. Smile
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 10/06/2019 00:04
  • Post subject:
Just a quick note to mention; with the latest update to my "Top 100 Albums of 1994", I've reached a total of 80 album rankings. As I continue rating albums, it's likely that anything currently positioned beyond the first 40 will probably be pushed further out past the Top 100.

For 1994 my goal is to build additional custom charts for Top 101 - 200, and 201 - 300, but I typically try to only include albums that rate at least 60/100.
So for what it's worth, I'll predict the albums currently positioned at # 79 (C.O.C) and 80 (Rollins Band)...
#79. "Deliverance" rated 55/100 Neutral

#80. "Weight" rated 45/100
(Pee-yew, what a Stinker!!) Rolling Eyes
...will eventually get kicked out, and not be included within the Top 300, to make room for more worthy entries.
  • Visit poster's website
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 10/06/2019 07:56
  • Post subject:
Compilations are Albums too!!

Regional comps and label samplers are always great ways to discover new music!

Hey Drag City by Various Artists

In 1994, Drag City was a hot-shit label of rising prominence, so I eagerly grabbed this 2xLP comp to catch up on all the buzz. Was already familiar with several artists among their roster, and curious to learn more of those bands I'd only heard about / having read positive reviews in fanzines. Quickly traded this lackluster sap-sucker, but having listened to it again recently... here's the breakdown:

= ~ {-2 {-1 ~ {-2 ~ ~ {-1

-1 for the Fruitcake track which runs on too long,
-2 for the Alastair Galbraith track (which sucks lo-fi ass)
-1 for Vocokesh

((( Score = 72.1 )))
  • Visit poster's website