Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 09/06/2019 15:51
  • Post subject: Re: Random Album #5
RadioBallet wrote:

10 Very intriguing instrumentation and songwriting here. The song is bizarre enough for a revisit. It's sort of like space-age pop on LSD passed through a distortion filter.

VERDICT There were many interesting ideas here but some are either not fully fleshed out, outdated, or lack some more fire to become noteworthy. Have to give praise to the vocal performance throughout the record. This is a good listen, particularly if you're into oddball 60's psychedelia. The closing title track is my pick for sure if you want a taste.

FAR Out!!! Cool
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 09/06/2019 16:20
  • Post subject:
What do you think are the odds that you'll discover an amazing album with the "random album" tactic? I'm really curious. And also genuinely intrigued by the idea, might try it sometime.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
RadioBallet

Canada

• Posted: 09/06/2019 16:34
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
What do you think are the odds that you'll discover an amazing album with the "random album" tactic? I'm really curious. And also genuinely intrigued by the idea, might try it sometime.

With the 5 albums I've hit so far my hopes are actually pretty high that we'll come across something awesome soon enough. I thought I would be hit by trash after trash and it would be a needle in a haystack kind of challenge to find something even decent. Then again, maybe it is that way and we've just had some luck. I'm just as curious as you are and eager to find a hidden gem!
  • Visit poster's website
RadioBallet

Canada

• Posted: 09/06/2019 17:26
  • Post subject: Random Album #6

Lost Weekend by Erase Errata

PREAMBLE Not sure what to expect... maybe political?

1 Really lanky and jagged though funky at the same time. Post-punk perhaps? As to the song they could have thought out the hook a little more.
2 More linear and catchy, takes on a psychedelic tone on the instrumental sections.
3 Good sound thus far. This track is hypnotic and disorienting, though I wish the songs were better written.
4 More punky and politically inclined now. Very lacking in depth and undercooked, regardless.
5 Vocals are tame and lack the attitude to fit the music, which is actually good. This track is a little more memorable. I love the clangs, they play well with the riff.
6 Lyrics are decent but they can't be appreciated without serious concentration, this due to a lack of presence in the vocal performance which doesn't seem to change in tone throughout the album (not helped by its placing in the mix either).
7 Call and response finally spices up the vocals a tiny bit but this gets cut short before it can amount to much.

VERDICT What I liked the most was the instrumental aspect of the album though it lost texture and atmosphere by its halfway point. The vocals were weak to say the least and every song was quite underdeveloped. Given its 20 minute run time (and with research I confirmed it is not an EP) it gives me the idea that the band really rushed through this and there was not time given for any ideas to develop completely. Despite this, it's not terrible. I guess Watch Your Language (5) is my favorite track but it's not very noteworthy either in my view. Thanks random album button.

Rating: 4/10

Last edited by RadioBallet on 12/28/2019 19:46; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
LankyLen

• Posted: 09/12/2019 11:54
  • Post subject: Great idea
Hoping you get that hidden gem soon! I’m enjoying watching your journey
  • Visit poster's website
RadioBallet

Canada

• Posted: 09/12/2019 14:02
  • Post subject: Random Album #7

Amateur Girlfriends Go Proskirt Agents ...ng Plastix

PREAMBLE Alright cover speak to me, uh, post-punk dance revival? Wait this is from Norway... No idea.

1 Oh, of course, Nu-Jazz! Well-layered. Dramatic opening with a clear direction. This has me excited
2 Crazy breakbeat on the drums builds on the momentum of the first track. Takes a wild left turn to go into a mysterious, neo-noir sort of feel. Can't tell if it sounds like the soundtrack to a children's Halloween movie or an animated James Bond.
3 Really lounge-y track with some relentless, weirdly engaging cowbell (I love me some good cowbell). Latin feel on this one. Good sax. Album is flawless so far, really consistent though varied. Different elements and instruments take prominence at the right moments.
4 Starts off sounding like the soundtrack to a Bond movie filmed in Panama. Intensity turns up. Now the bass sounds either like a car engine or a hungry swamp monster, can't really tell. Insane drumming. This was a BLAST.
5 A laid back track, good change of pace. More electronic this one. A needed breather but not of masterpiece caliber like its contemporaries thus far.
6 Don't ask me how and I don't expect you to relate but the image in my head is an ice cream truck taking a wrong turn and getting lost in Luigi's Haunted Mansion. I don't get how that works either, no. This has my mind RACING.
7 What in the world? This album is terribly entertaining. I like how the slow tracks thus far are well placed, providing rest from the frantic ones.
8 THIS IS LITERALLY CALLED TINTINNAMPUTATION and it's trying to destroy my hearing. The tinnitus synths end up playing well with the drum and bass when they kick in. Strings are thrown in for good measure and make for a surprisingly heartfelt conclusion to another mind-melting track.
9 A little more linear than the other tracks. Would be a little underwhelming if it weren't for the insane drumming on it. Still solid.
10 bruhhhhhhh. I'm going to marry the first several bars of percussion on this. Though a little pale in comparison to the strong tracks this is still really solid.
11 The album itself is sort of slowing down now because of the last three solid though relatively lifeless tracks. I think they'd be better placed elsewhere on the track listing. Still having a great time though.
12 Insane groove on this one. Keyboard, bass and drums bounce off each other irresistibly. Magma-hot saxophone melting through the mix every so often. Still a slow track but its amazing texture bring it over the last three. I'm starting to get concerned about the song titles too.
13 Glad the bass gets some of the spotlight before the run-time ends. The album is indeed slowing to a stop and not necessarily in a bad way. It's just cruising in style with the windows down now. Have to point out the little voice samples scattered throughout the album are a nice touch as well.
14 Ends on the same slow cruise of the second half of the album with maybe a touch of melancholy.

VERDICT Definitely the best album I've ever heard out of Norway. Not that I've heard any others, but I'm sure it could easily stand in such a category...
Anyway talking seriously this thing blew my brains off and even made me verbalize my confusion at times. It was thoroughly engaging, masterfully mixed and driven by a prestigious performance (particularly on the drums). It was very consistent in its sound though always varied and innovative. Easily created scenarios in my mind (wacky as they may have been) and sent me on a journey with a clear destination. The album does begin with great intensity and shifts down a couple gears on the 9th track for a different experience, though by no means a bad one. In fact, it offered some welcome relief, that second half. Though many tracks are worth a mention I think my favorite one is a tie between Behind the Eightball (4) and Happy J**z Girls (12). I want to thank LankyLen for posting a bit ago, that got me excited to slap that button once more, and man did it pay off. To my ears and opinion, we've found our first gem, only 7 albums in! Thanks, random album button!

Rating: 9/10

Last edited by RadioBallet on 12/28/2019 19:39; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 09/12/2019 19:22
  • Post subject:
Based upon your colorful descriptions, I’m really curious to check that Xploding Plastix someday! Added to Wish List. Cool Thanks!
  • Visit poster's website
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2019 05:51
  • Post subject:
Yeah, after reading your review, I definitely had to put that album on my playlist for the day...incidentally, in the midst of some free jazz records. It was pure hysteria, but I kinda feel like it's missing something and subsequent listens might not be as much fun. Or maybe the tornado of free jazz had warped my perception of it...who knows?

Keep it going, man!
  • Visit poster's website
RadioBallet

Canada

• Posted: 09/13/2019 12:42
  • Post subject:
Jameth wrote:
It was pure hysteria, but I kinda feel like it's missing something and subsequent listens might not be as much fun. Or maybe the tornado of free jazz had warped my perception of it...who knows?

You make a great point, and that's the one flaw really with the way I'm rating these albums and it's actually been on my mind for some time. With just one listen I really can't tell exactly how the album will age, or if it will grow on me or do the opposite. I may also not be in the perfect mindset or mood to best enjoy a particular random album one day and I could be the next. This really is a first-reaction kind of thing and further listens are super important to overcome the subjectivity of the moment. Not to mention I have next to no context, be it the artist's previous discography or the artist's mindset or identity. I'd love to repeat this one in the future along with that one by Tilt. If ratings change I will update them on the album's original post for sure.
  • Visit poster's website
guzguzgarbit
Book Of Noraia

France

• Posted: 09/14/2019 08:09
  • Post subject:
Great diary so far, keep it going. Too bad I've already heard the Xploding Plastix album...
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website