Someone finally uses the 'Random Album' button

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RadioBallet

Canada

• Posted: 08/21/2019 17:22
  • Post subject: Someone finally uses the 'Random Album' button
So I realized I will eventually get bored out of my mind if all the music I listen to is working towards that discography journal. So I decided I'm going to have some fun. If you look on the 'Resources' tab there's a 'Random Album' button. So what I'm gonna do is slap that and rate whatever comes up at the risk of exposing my ignorance and getting my ears vioted. I hope we find some really weird stuff and maybe even something to add to my chart. If you happen to know or have an opinion on any of the albums that show up feel free to share that. I'll post any notes I make on albums as I listen to them so you could technically even listen along to an album if you want. I'm gonna keep it simple and loose.

Imma hit that button right now and I'll post what I find in a little while more. Wish me luck!

Finds Thus Far:
(10) Masterpiece - 0
(9) Excellent - 1
(8) Great - 2
(7) Good - 1
(6) Decent - 2
(5) Indifferent - 0
(4) Poor - 3
(3) Bad - 1
(2) Terrible - 0
(1) Should Not Exist - 0
(0) Triggers Existential Crisis - 0

Last edited by RadioBallet on 12/29/2019 13:30; edited 7 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
RadioBallet

Canada

• Posted: 08/21/2019 18:04
  • Post subject: Random Album #1
Oh boy...

Make Some Noise by Krystal Meyers

PREAMBLE I have no idea what I'm about to hear but judging by the cover we're gonna get thrown back to some 2000's Disney Channel pop. Let's see what we get:

1 So the album opens with the title track and just as I expected we get some good old 2000's electropop with overdriven guitars for that punky edge and what not. I thought this would be trash right off the bat but I really like this song. It's got a lot of energy and that hook is sorta catchy. Nothing too noteworthy on Krystal's voice.
2 Hey this isn't bad either. Now, judging from the lyrics Krystal is either a Christian artist or this is aimed towards 10 year old girls.
3 Good fuzz bass, synths have become quite meh now. Straight ANTHEMS so far though.
4 So the first 3 songs were actually good but the songwriting just PLUMMETS here, hopefully it's only a dip. Lyrics are getting really corny. And yes, this confirms it, she's a Christian artist.
5 Still corny but the synths are okay. The lyrics haven't told me anything about Krystal and the struggles that she's asking God to help her with.
6 The more Christian songs here are really generic of their genre.
7 Okay so she actually brings up an interesting dilemma here. Right after pleading to be forgiven for her bad behavior she premeditates going out at night. She even wonders if she could be held guilty for just one little slip, but the night calls her and it drowns out her doubt.
8-10 I lost interest by this point. Lyrics are really empty. Nothing worth noting, just more of the same. One really awkward use of autotune to cover up a mistake on track 9 literally made me laugh.

VERDICT Well, the first few songs had my hopes up, sadly they diminished into disinterest by the end. I honestly thought this was going to be worse than it was though. My pick for best track has to go to Beautiful Tonight (track 7). Thanks, Random Album Button.

Rating: 3/10

Last edited by RadioBallet on 12/28/2019 19:43; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RadioBallet

Canada

• Posted: 08/21/2019 20:54
  • Post subject: Random Album #2
I enjoyed that first one so much I decided to slap that button again. Good thing I don't work today.

Nobody Cares About Your Creative Hub So...lf Biscuit

PREAMBLE I like long titles. This has to be punk or something rebellious. The band name sounds super familiar too but I can't pin it down. Let's see what this is:

1 Yea so definitely sounds punky but maybe more on the indie-rock side (after research I found this is deemed C86. Seems these guys are big on it. I've never heard of that, excuse my ignorance. Anyone willing to expand?). Definitely English. This level of satire can only come from such a place as that.
2 Other than the lyrics which are seriously impressive there is nothing that calls the attention. This kind of music should be more exciting than this.
3 Woaa they get going here. Great guitar riff, hilarious lyrics! Lots of attitude. This guy is really fed up. The bit about the guy who gets into cycling killed me.
4 I was hoping they'd keep the momentum but they just need to be a little more memorable. I can hardly tell the songs apart. Lyricism has not failed once though.
5 haha
6 I think perhaps this would be more appreciated by an English person or someone more versed in pop culture. The references are flying past me but they just keep sending more and more!
7-9 These songs are BEGGING for a catchy guitar hook to be laid over them. THE LOST POTENTIAL KILLS MEEE.
10 lol
11 I often wish I was English, yawn
12 Glad they turned up the volume on this one it's becoming a bit too much of the same.
13 I'm glad this ends here, it couldn't have gone much longer without losing some points.

VERDICT Who are these guys? The lyricism is absolutely hilarious and clever. The amount of references is ridiculous. Morrissey would be jealous. Sadly, Half Man Half Biscuit only got half of the job done, though they did that half extremely well. Had these songs had hooks or riffs like Knobheads on Quiz Shows (track 3) did this would be an easy 80. In fact that song blows the rest right out of the water and is my clear pick for this one (and STRONGLY recommend you give that track a listen). This is decent, but it could have been great. Thanks Random Album Button.

Rating: 6/10

Last edited by RadioBallet on 12/28/2019 19:44; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 08/21/2019 21:24
  • Post subject:
Cool Idea. I'm onboard.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 08/21/2019 22:03
  • Post subject:
Indeed.
Should be a fun thread. Thanks for venturing out!
  • Visit poster's website
RadioBallet

Canada

• Posted: 08/21/2019 22:38
  • Post subject:
Thanks guys, I just found out I won't be working tomorrow, guess what I'll be up to Cool
  • Visit poster's website
RadioBallet

Canada

• Posted: 08/22/2019 04:51
  • Post subject: Random Album #3

Viewers Like You by Tilt

PREAMBLE Not sure what to expect here. Being 1999 and the band called Tilt this has to be an average alternative rock album or an Offspring ripoff. Just a guess.

1 Alright! We get some raw, thrilling punk rock and a story about a little schizophrenic girl getting locked up in her house and coming back to haunt it. And we have a female vocalist! This is awesome!
2 These two songs are REALLY melodic for being punk rock. The vocalist has a great edge but at the same time sounds like she would also fit the cut in a musical with her really open phrasing.
3 So they're treating various topics very successfully and manage to do so cohesively.
4 Loving the imagery in their lyrics. It allows the songs to obtain their own identity and come to life.
5 Man, the energy does not subside whatsoever. Still melodic, still clever, still going. Could they do so for the rest of the album?
6 Adds a hint of pop into the mix just when variety was needed.
7 These songs are full of engaging details. Love the stutters on this one. The ball HAS NOT DROPPED.
8 WOAH. Point noted. An edgy and unapologetic standpoint on religion. The fire keeps catching instead of dying out and we're more than halfway through already.
9 Alright a less creative track but only marginally.
10 And they correct that by flipping out the most politically-intense line-dance song ever. Y'all gotta hear this.
11 Feels a little incomplete when compared to the other tracks so far. Could this be dying out?
12 Every time I foresee a drop they just counter it. This is a contender for the punk rock national anthem. HOW DO YOU ROCK THIS CONSISTENTLY FOR SO LONG??
13 They actually made me care about Johnny
14 Though a weaker track it is a fitting end to close with that classic "I'll do whatever I want" statement that somehow doesn't sound cliched at all.

VERDICT I tend to fall asleep when I listen to albums this late at night but this kept me engaged WITHOUT FAIL for its whole duration. They didn't even drop the ball once. There are no real masterpieces here but none of the tracks are just decent. They're all great, and you know what that means? That this album is great, and it ROCKS. Perhaps Pious (6) has the most to say but Restless, Irritable & Discontent (12) is an absolute anthem, becoming my pick. I wonder if their other albums are worth a visit as well. Recommend this one if you're looking for some fiery punk rock with a lot to say. Thanks, random album button!

Rating: 8/10

Last edited by RadioBallet on 12/28/2019 19:45; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 08/22/2019 15:47
  • Post subject: Re: Random Album #3
RadioBallet wrote:

Viewers Like You by Tilt

PREAMBLE Not sure what to expect here. Being 1999 and the band called Tilt this has to be an average alternative rock album or an Offspring ripoff. Just a guess.

1 Alright! We get some raw, thrilling punk rock and a story about a little schizophrenic girl getting locked up in her house and coming back to haunt it. And we have a female vocalist! This is awesome!
2 These two songs are REALLY melodic for being punk rock. The vocalist has a great edge but at the same time sounds like she would also fit the cut in a musical with her really open phrasing.
3 So they're treating various topics very successfully and manage to do so cohesively.
4 Loving the imagery in their lyrics. It allows the songs to obtain their own identity and come to life.
5 Man, the energy does not subside whatsoever. Still melodic, still clever, still going. Could they do so for the rest of the album?
6 Adds a hint of pop into the mix just when variety was needed.
7 These songs are full of engaging details. Love the stutters on this one. The ball HAS NOT DROPPED.
8 WOAH. Point noted. An edgy and unapologetic standpoint on religion. The fire keeps catching instead of dying out and we're more than halfway through already.
9 Alright a less creative track but only marginally.
10 And they correct that by flipping out the most politically-intense line-dance song ever. Y'all gotta hear this.
11 Feels a little incomplete when compared to the other tracks so far. Could this be dying out?
12 Every time I foresee a drop they just counter it. This is a contender for the punk rock national anthem. HOW DO YOU ROCK THIS CONSISTENTLY FOR SO LONG??
13 They actually made me care about Johnny
14 Though a weaker track it is a fitting end to close with that classic "I'll do whatever I want" statement that somehow doesn't sound cliched at all.

VERDICT I tend to fall asleep when I listen to albums this late at night but this kept me engaged WITHOUT FAIL for its whole duration. They didn't even drop the ball once. There are no real masterpieces here but none of the tracks are just decent. They're all great, and you know what that means? That this album is great, and it ROCKS. Perhaps Pious (6) has the most to say but Restless, Irritable & Discontent (12) is an absolute anthem, becoming my pick. I wonder if their other albums are worth a visit as well. Recommend this one if you're looking for some fiery punk rock with a lot to say. Thanks, random album button!

Rating: 85/100

Not something I would have sought out on my own, but it did turn out to be an entertaining find.
  • Visit poster's website
RadioBallet

Canada

• Posted: 08/22/2019 16:19
  • Post subject: Random Album #4

Compliments Please by Self Esteem

PREAMBLE Seems interesting enough. Looks glamorous and artsy but I have no idea what to expect.

1 cool intro
2 some well-written electropop. Diggin'.
3 I like the vocalist, lots of expression in her voice.
4 these songs have intricate and varied arrangements while remaining cohesive. Good amount of colors in the palette
5 not as catchy or thought-out as the other ones
6 iffy on the interlude
7 this one tries too hard
8 songwriting quality has dropped with the last couple tracks and so has the flow of the album. Perhaps it's only a dip. Seems the album's style is tilted towards R&B as well.
9 not a fan of the gospel-style choir here. This is beginning to lose its color.
10 Yes, they pick up the pace again!
11 hand claps + acapella add some variety but the song is not that good
12 these choruses are really hit or miss... the gospel-style harmonies are becoming really formulaic.
13 better interlude
14 lyrics are also dropping in quality. Let's throw in a meager guitar solo for the heck of it. You have two songs to redeem yourself.
15 Yes! Darker and angrier. Brings some much needed variety. This was becoming bland and monotone.
16 Who is this guy and why does he just jump in? The song is okay but this was just a strange choice for a closer

VERDICT Started good but slowly made its decent into the plains of the passable. Lost its flavor and attention for detail as the minutes passed. In the end it's only decent but I liked Monster (10) and Rollout (15), sorta tied for my pick. Who knows though, perhaps the band will drop a better release later on down the road as this was only released a few months ago and this seems to be their debut. Thanks random album button.

Rating: 6/10

Last edited by RadioBallet on 12/28/2019 19:45; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RadioBallet

Canada

• Posted: 09/06/2019 13:43
  • Post subject: Random Album #5
If getting laid off has a bright side it's that I can do a little more of this. Yay!

Farewell Aldebaran by Judy Henske & Jerry Yester

PREAMBLE Judging by the year (1969) and the cover we're in for a little trip here.

1 So we get some psychedelic folk rock with a real gritty edge set to a marching rhythm. What else to expect?
2 I didn't think we'd go in this direction so suddenly but now we have some very light and playful pop rock, which is sort of deceiving as there are some pretty dark undertones to this.
3 Haunting but maybe just a little corny. Really captivating vocal performance though. I'm enjoying the diversity of the album thus far.
4 Intriguing lyricism on religion though the music isn't too captivating on this track. Can't complain about that harpsichord action though.
5 I'm liking a lot of the chord progressions here. There's an otherworldly feel to the album thus far. It hasn't returned to the harder rock sound of the opener, settling on a folkier sound.
6 I love the instrumentation on this one, particularly that bell or piano thing (can't really tell).
9 This is nice but some aspects of the album feel a little outdated
10 Very intriguing instrumentation and songwriting here. The song is bizarre enough for a revisit. It's sort of like space-age pop on LSD passed through a distortion filter.

VERDICT There were many interesting ideas here but some are either not fully fleshed out, outdated, or lack some more fire to become noteworthy. Have to give praise to the vocal performance throughout the record. This is a good listen, particularly if you're into oddball 60's psychedelia. The closing title track is my pick for sure if you want a taste. Thanks for the trip, random album button.

Rating: 7/10

Last edited by RadioBallet on 12/28/2019 19:46; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website