View previous topic :: View next topic
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 08/28/2019 02:49
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
No I meant Doin Time

Oh so she has two covers of "Doin' Time"

And yeah I don't hate Lana Del Rey, Free at Last or whatever her 2017 album was called was pretty decent despite a few terrible clunkers and the first that didn't feel like a slightly altered clone of Born to Die, but yeah I kind of agree this overly dubbed Icon status has all to do to with image more so than the music she's actually produced. But I'm more than happy to listen to Norman Fucking Rocwkell despite the Awful Fucking Title with open ears if it's out or not (is it?).

And yeah to Baystate's point there probably is a decent dose of sexism with regards to how Lana's been cricticized (though unlike some have argued the "Industry Plant" label has been applied to plenty of male artists) but a not insignficiant subsection of her fans are the absolute. fucking. worst when it comes to playing the "cis-het white men can't get her so shut up card" in dismissing any sort of criticism that comes from men rather than, you know, countering it with actually substantial, supportive artistic anaylsis, so it all balances itself out.

So yeah, "Video Games" is still a stunner, which is OK I guess, everything else has been meh to agreeable at best. Her first three albums are pretty much interchangable pieces of real estate with re-arranged furniture.

This thread is fun, and has certainly lived up to it's title. Wonder how long it goes before the eventual lock.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 08/28/2019 02:52
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Her father, Robert Grant, helped with the marketing of the album, which was available for purchase on iTunes for a brief period before being withdrawn. According to David Kahne, who produced Grant and Label owner David Nichtern, Grant bought the rights back from her label, 5 Points, as she wanted it out of circulation. In an interview, Nichtern stated: "Her and her new manager came in and said, 'We want to get this off the market. We’re going for a completely new deal. We’ll buy you out of the deal'. So we made a separation agreement".

Ok I learned some new stuff by Googling these people and reading more. She clearly has a rich and well-connected dad who helped her start her career by financially supporting her. Still, she didn't get signed to a major label until she had a track that blew up online. Which would make her less industry plant on the spectrum than many (most?) of the artists signed to major labels, for whatever that's worth.
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 08/28/2019 02:56
  • Post subject:
Yeah that seems to be an odd bit of cherry-picking when trashing artists for having connections that helped 'em make it big, Lorde certainly didn't get much criticism despite being discovered at 13 and clearly being groomed as a pop star (may have to do with the music though), while the likes of Khalid, Chance the Rapper (yes he does), Billie Eillish and Clairo get the "Industry Plant" label thrown around with scorn, even if some of them published music well before being signed.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 08/28/2019 03:00
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
And yeah to Baystate's point there probably is a decent dose of sexism with regards to how Lana's been cricticized (though unlike some have argued the "Industry Plant" label has been applied to plenty of male artists) but a not insignficiant subsection of her fans are the absolute. fucking. worst when it comes to playing the "cis-het white men can't get her so shut up card" in dismissing any sort of criticism that comes from men rather than, you know, countering it with actually substantial, supportive artistic anaylsis, so it all balances itself out.

To clarify I wasn't saying the term industry plant is more frequently applied to women. That sentence was about delegitimizing the artistic abilities of female pop musicians who co-write their music, which happens regardless of how 'authentic' their come-up was. I don't pay attention to her fans any more than I can help, so I'm not aware of that dynamic.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 08/28/2019 03:01
  • Post subject:
Quote:
This thread is fun, and has certainly lived up to it's title. Wonder how long it goes before the eventual lock.

Although I'm having fun playing the bad guy this time, locking threads is usually the job of Fischman or Skinny. Right? Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 08/28/2019 03:04
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:

I can't remember the last time an active music thread got locked - can anyone refresh me? I feel like things would have to go off the rails in a big way for that to happen. Like an invasion of stans sleuthing out home addresses or something.
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 08/28/2019 04:07
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Quote:

Although I'm having fun playing the bad guy this time, locking threads is usually the job of Fischman or Skinny. Right? Very Happy

Clearly you don't remember BEA's best and sexiest nightmare, the man they called 'J,'
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 08/28/2019 04:20
  • Post subject:
It is obvious that every female singer is somehow reminiscent of another female singer, right? Like Lana's just a new Feist? And Feist was just a new Tori? And Tori was a normie Laurie? And Laurie was half Ono/half Dalton? Or something equally as absurd.

Fuck you. Fuck this shit. And keep my name out your goddamn mouth.

Link

lol, big up the crew
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/28/2019 04:36
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Quote:
She's no Fiona Apple.

Quote:
(And if you mention Chan Marshall in the same breath as her again, then ima snap. Mad )

Quote:
Cat Power and Fiona Apple influences

Rolling Eyes

Oh by the way, I actually said that out of context to what you said... I'm kinda dumb and didn't read the whole thread without responding.

All I was saying is she hasn't written an album (that I've heard) that musically matured like Fiona's Idler Wheel. But I'm not saying she can't - just haven't seen it happen yet. I can't remember the release name, but her 2017 effort seemed like a weaker Born to Die effort instead of something musically fresh - that's all.

Influences, sure, I can get behind that -and again, I did say I REALLY dig her born to die record. It was a grower for me, but I still like putting it on.

EDIT: oh shit I did it again... (not read the thread before replying) I have no idea what's going on... I'll just see myself out... haha
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/28/2019 04:41
  • Post subject:
I actually was here for jman, but had a year or two where I wasn't on the site... how did he get banned anyway?
  • Visit poster's website