Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 09/14/2019 19:58
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
D-

Wasn't that funny when Pitchfork did it 18 years ago, and I guess putting less effort in it doesn't make it any better.
Yeah I think it was an OK satire, but there's a lot of rehashing of already heard jokes and ideas here. Much like that new Tool album really Rolling Eyes
On the more serious side, splitting the whole of progressive (rock, metal, pop, whatever) music spectrum into just 2 groups is incredibly redundant and doesn't explain anything. And then putting Tool in the same group as ELP, of all the bands. I really think that 95% of this hate for Fear Inoculum is caused by the long wait and hype. There's nothing that wrong with it as far as I can tell, and all the most common arguments against it could apply to literally any album ever. Except the drumming criticism in this thread, which to me is the most baffling of all. I know I'm not supposed to fight with strangers on the internets, but I mean have you heard Danny's drumming on this album? I seriously doubt the hearing of anyone who thinks the drums here aren't good. But y'all know that quote about opinions...

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 09/15/2019 01:59
  • Post subject:
its a good solo drummer album.

which is the problem. there is no restraint or nuance here. its just all-out.
  • Visit poster's website
BARDAMU

• Posted: 09/15/2019 15:39
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
splitting the whole of progressive (rock, metal, pop, whatever) music spectrum into just 2 groups is incredibly redundant

I think the word you're looking for is "arbitrary" not "redundant" -- if that's the case then yes, obviously it is. I state outright in my post that those are just two specific sides of one axis, and that I prefer work that sides to one pole than the other. Yes, prog rock has all kinds of other properties, but I was illustrating that my interests in the genre lean toward the sillier or weirder side than the self-serious side of progressive music.
  • Visit poster's website
BARDAMU

• Posted: 09/15/2019 15:42
  • Post subject:
Let me also just say that the fact that the only active actual discussion about music today on BEA in The Year of Our Lord 2019 is a multi-page thread about a fucking Tool album is so deeply rich it's positively delicious. What absolutely post-apocalyptic state is BEA in rn?
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 09/15/2019 16:09
  • Post subject:
BARDAMU wrote:
Let me also just say that the fact that the only active actual discussion about music today on BEA in The Year of Our Lord 2019 is a multi-page thread about a fucking Tool album is so deeply rich it's positively delicious. What absolutely post-apocalyptic state is BEA in rn?

Since this account is 120 days old, who were you before?
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/15/2019 17:58
  • Post subject:
BARDAMU wrote:

Thanks for leading the way!
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 09/16/2019 00:07
  • Post subject:
BARDAMU wrote:

pretty apocalyptic, though we have periods where the NCR does a new housing project
  • Visit poster's website
manurock

Spain

• Posted: 09/16/2019 14:37
  • Post subject:
I haven't heard Fear Inoculum yet. I have only started listening to Tool some months ago and am still digesting Lateralus.

Having said that, I wanted to point out:

1. The fact that this thread in BEA about a new album got so much attention and, looking broader, that Tool beat a pop artist like Taylor Swift in the Billboard and appeared in the media is something I celebrate taking in mind this band's musical stlye and the current music (lack of) interest in the mainstream.
2. I find interesting that most comments here rate this album badly while the average rating for the album in this webpage is 81/100, tied with Lateralus and Aenima and better than 10,000 days.
  • Visit poster's website
BARDAMU

• Posted: 10/03/2019 14:30
  • Post subject:
manurock wrote:
looking broader, that Tool beat a pop artist like Taylor Swift in the Billboard and appeared in the media is something I celebrate taking in mind this band's musical stlye and the current music (lack of) interest in the mainstream.

The new Taylor Swift isn't very good, but it's certainly better than "Fear Inoculum," and imo I don't think Tool has ever put an album out that's better than Swift's "1989."
  • Visit poster's website
manurock

Spain

• Posted: 10/03/2019 16:07
  • Post subject:
BARDAMU wrote:
The new Taylor Swift isn't very good, but it's certainly better than "Fear Inoculum," and imo I don't think Tool has ever put an album out that's better than Swift's "1989."

Every one has its own music taste, what I miss in today's top sold albums is variety. Swift is a good artist but its music is more similar to other mainstream artists than Tool's, that's for sure.
  • Visit poster's website