Low and Kid A

View previous topic :: View next topic
NJ

United States

• Posted: 08/10/2019 20:39
  • Post subject: Low and Kid A
Hey everyone! I joined like a month ago, and I've been updating my album chart constantly since, but this is my first post. I thought it'd be fun to compare the history of my two favorite albums from my two favorite artists, which would be David Bowie's Low and Radiohead's Kid A. They're both quite similar albums in a few ways, mostly having to do with their initial reception. Most of you already know this is my guess, but for those who don't: both albums were large departures from the artists' previous works and the common musical standards of the time, which naturally led to very polarizing reception. Over time, however, their reception grew, and now they're considered amongst their respective artists' greatest accomplishments and amongst the greatest albums of all time. I guess many call them "grower" albums; they're hard to listen to, but eventually they'll "make sense." Personally, I think that's nonsense; I loved Low immediately and certainly didn't have the disdain for Kid A others seemed to have upon first listening to it. Anyways, so they're similar in their slow reception, and also in their more electronic, atmospheric sound. However, Kid A seems to have been "forgiven" much more than Low; it's one of the most popular and acclaimed albums of all time, almost as much so as OK Computer, whereas Low isn't nearly as talked about as much as Ziggy Stardust or Hunky Dory, which is a shame. There's probably a few reasons for this: Kid A pointed the way more for future music than Low, and Low is primarily instrumental, which really throws people off. It's been a much harder journey for Low: 42 years later, and there's still asterisks around its legacy. I guess there's not too much of a point to this point, but I felt like talking about how both artists had an album like this. What do you think of them?
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 08/11/2019 02:20
  • Post subject: Re: Low and Kid A
NJ wrote:
Hey everyone! I joined like a month ago, and I've been updating my album chart constantly since, but this is my first post. I thought it'd be fun to compare the history of my two favorite albums from my two favorite artists, which would be David Bowie's Low and Radiohead's Kid A. They're both quite similar albums in a few ways, mostly having to do with their initial reception. Most of you already know this is my guess, but for those who don't: both albums were large departures from the artists' previous works and the common musical standards of the time, which naturally led to very polarizing reception. Over time, however, their reception grew, and now they're considered amongst their respective artists' greatest accomplishments and amongst the greatest albums of all time. I guess many call them "grower" albums; they're hard to listen to, but eventually they'll "make sense." Personally, I think that's nonsense; I loved Low immediately and certainly didn't have the disdain for Kid A others seemed to have upon first listening to it. Anyways, so they're similar in their slow reception, and also in their more electronic, atmospheric sound. However, Kid A seems to have been "forgiven" much more than Low; it's one of the most popular and acclaimed albums of all time, almost as much so as OK Computer, whereas Low isn't nearly as talked about as much as Ziggy Stardust or Hunky Dory, which is a shame. There's probably a few reasons for this: Kid A pointed the way more for future music than Low, and Low is primarily instrumental, which really throws people off. It's been a much harder journey for Low: 42 years later, and there's still asterisks around its legacy. I guess there's not too much of a point to this point, but I felt like talking about how both artists had an album like this. What do you think of them?

Welcome! I love Low and like Kid A. What do you mean by asterisks? #64 all-time is really high!
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 08/15/2019 14:02
  • Post subject:
Everyone I know in real life who has an interest in music which comes near to matching mine discusses Low at least as much as Ziggy, and definitely more than Hunky Dory.