GHOSTEEN

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
badseed

United States

• Posted: 10/04/2019 13:30
  • Post subject: GHOSTEEN
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds debuted their new album on YouTube yesterday. Surely that's not unprecedented but as someone who doesn't follow what the cool thing to do in the music business as it's an ever changing world, that's an interesting way to do that.

Anyhow, it's a double LP, called Ghosteen. If you like Nick Cave, or you're one of those people who tries to listen to everything, check it out.

I'm personally scared to listen to it.

The same thing happened when Skeleton Tree came out in 2016. It's a weird case when you're 25 and think you know everything then you discover an artist you like so much that you listen to their whole discography (15 studio albums - plus most of the Boys Next Door, Birthday Party and Grinderman stuff) all within a couple days and immediately declare one man your absolute favorite public figure of all time. It brings me a strange fear that I may not like the next one. That after 40 years in the business this is the point where Nick Cave will start to regress and fizzle out like 99.9% of the greats do. Skeleton Tree turned out fine. But what about Ghosteen?

I've tried to avoid reviews both from critics and fans. I know they're out there though because Facebook (where I'm a member of at least 5 different Nick Cave groups) was blowing up when I checked it yesterday. I don't really want to know what I'm getting into, because as loyal a fan as I am I truly should have been planning for it and listened at the moment it became available.

Regardless of how I feel about Ghosteen, whether I love it or hate it, I will not let it change my opinion about Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. For better or for worse, Nick's my dude. He can do no wrong to me. If it's not for me, it's not for me. But 16 albums before it, even the worst of which still has such extremely beautiful moments that I will cherish forever, will not ever go more than a year unlistened, and so in my mind Nick Cave and his ever changing lineup of Bad Seeds will always be my favorite band.

Anyhow, if you listen to Ghosteen, please leave a comment or review here. Let me know what your history is like with the band (if it's your first album or you've listened to some stuff or everything once or if you're a big fan too). As much as I enjoy conversing with fellow fans in the Facebook groups, I'm actually more interested in hearing the opinions of people who haven't fallen for him like us. We may be too passionate to listen without bias. Anyhow I'll check this thread again after I listen. I won't wait too much longer. I just need the time to be right so I can give it my full attention.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/04/2019 14:58
  • Post subject:
I'm going to have to give it another listen today, maybe with a lyrics sheet. It's slightly lengthy, but it goes by fast.

I had a whole bunch of thoughts when I was listening to it, but I didn't write any of them down, and a good night's sleep has seemingly wiped those clean.

I remember the main thing going through my head is that I wish he full-assed it. He should've shot for a full-blown Sigur Ros-esque higher plain elation. It's oddly minimalist, yet... not? Which might come off to some people as weak. It feels like casual solace.

No solid opinions on the album (albeit, I'm not one of these people throwing it a 1-star review after listening to only one side Laughing ). It might grow on me, it might not. For such a simple album, I feel like there's a lot to analyze. For now, I think my views on it will swing positive. It has the makings to even be my AOTY... but I need to listen to it more.

Quote:
Let me know what your history is like with the band (if it's your first album or you've listened to some stuff or everything once or if you're a big fan too).

And I'm someone who has Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds as one of their most listened artists (15 or so albums, haven't heard Nocturama), who would gladly put two or three of their albums in my top 100, but doesn't particularly have a favourite or consider any piece of their body of work a magnum opus.

Also, I think Nick Cave will be a serious contender for the Nobel come the mid-2030s. Just wait.
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 10/04/2019 16:43
  • Post subject:
I listened to this on the stream last night and my main impression was that it was too much to take in on one listen. The songs are big and beautiful, with a lot going on, but also all very similar and they kind of fly by without leaving an impression. I thought the second side was way better, and Hollywood is a masterpiece. I tried listening to it again at work and I had to stop because I kept tearing up, so I think my impression will improve. I didnt care for Skeleton Tree on first listen but after a couple more it was one of my 30 or so favorite albums ever.

Nick Cave is one of my favorite artists and honestly one of the artists I think has aged the best. Even better than like Tom Waits or David Bowie. To put out this trilogy of albums, which has almost no reference musically to any prior works, in his 60s is incredible. Yet even though he's shifted from post punk into alternative rock into ballads into whatever this is (ambient new age??) his music has kept the central themes and storytelling throughout. I'm hoping Ghosteen grows on me after I'm able to listen again. Undoubtedly though I can see this being difficult for a lot of people to listen to because of the heavy subject matter.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 10/05/2019 10:24
  • Post subject:
Listened to the stream and once again yesterday, and I think it's even better than Skeleton Tree. That opinion might change, but damn, how do those 50-something year olds release something so trendy and fresh (not to mention good)?

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Lachapelle

Canada

• Posted: 10/08/2019 14:48
  • Post subject: Re: GHOSTEEN
badseed wrote:
I'm actually more interested in hearing the opinions of people who haven't fallen for him like us.

Seeing as Ghosteen is getting such great reviews I figured I have to give it a shot. However.. I've never listened to Nick Cave.

So before diving into the album I figured I owe it to him (and his band) to go through his past work. I've seen you and many others give him such high praise and it has me excited to explore the discography. Seeing as the group has such a large back catalog I've decided to start by making a playlist of the top 20 songs listed here on besteveralbums (excluding the ones from Ghosteen).

I've gotta say I'm enjoying what I'm hearing so far. I'm looking forward to working my way to the new release. I will want to listen to at least a couple albums in full before jumping into it. Which ones would you suggest to be must-listens before streaming this new one?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/08/2019 14:58
  • Post subject: Re: GHOSTEEN
Lachapelle wrote:
Which ones would you suggest to be must-listens before streaming this new one?

Ghosteen would be a terrible place to start with Nick Cave. It's important to know where he comes from before diving into it.

I'm spin these:

Murder Ballads by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

The Good Son by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Henry's Dream by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Which all showcase some slightly different aspects of their music. Hope you enjoy them. The Boatman's Call is a great album, but there really isn't any reason it's Cave's top-ranked album on here. He has a whole bunch of great albums that are all kinda on-par with each other.

Should note, after a couple listens, I think Ghosteen might be one of his best.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 10/08/2019 17:25
  • Post subject:
My 3 picks for start would be:

Tender Prey by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Combines his early work with a bit more accessible songs, The Mercy Seat is an absolute must listen for anyone who is a music afficionado. Also it's the one most cherished by the fans (or at least I think so)

The Good Son by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Probably the best place to start.

Murder Ballads by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Has his biggest singles.

Let Love In, No More Shall We Part and my favourite Henry's Dream are also good choices for getting into his music.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 10/08/2019 18:08
  • Post subject:
I absolutely loved Ghosteen, it's my AOTY so far.

I loved Skeleton Tree too, but if Skeleton Tree was raw grief in the wake of unimaginable loss, Ghosteen is more settled grief, the idea that grief is part of your everyday life and that that's okay, that you can live with it. Sometimes it'll knock you down, but sometimes you can move on.

I'd agree though, this isn't the place to start with Cave. My personal start with him was this:

Abattoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus by N... Bad Seeds

I think Murder Ballads is a solid intro too. I'd also personally recommend listening to his two previous albums in order before getting to this one, there's a sort of progression here that makes sense.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Lachapelle

Canada

• Posted: 10/08/2019 20:09
  • Post subject:
Thanks for the suggested albums!

After doing some more reading I've decided to delve even further into the past, with a couple streams of a compilation from The Birthday Party which I absolutely loved. I'm now moving onto his debut with The Bad Seeds so I can get a better sense of the transition of style and sound between both ventures. After listening to just the 1st track - Avalanche, I had to go back and listen to the original from Leonard Cohen a few times (which is also a fantastic song). Now that I've listened to both versions back-to-back I'm loving the way Cave transformed the original to his liking. Maybe now I can continue this journey..?

I am starting to become unsure that I'll be able to skip any of his previous albums now that it seems I'm fully invested, so it may take me some time to get to this newest release. Either way, I'll dig at the local record stores this week to see if I can stumble across any of his material - and if so, then maybe I'll skip ahead.

Also. I stumbled across this https://www.theredhandfiles.com/ and have been reading many of the letters. Cave sounds like a such a genuine person.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 10/08/2019 21:02
  • Post subject:
Lachapelle wrote:
Thanks for the suggested albums!

After doing some more reading I've decided to delve even further into the past, with a couple streams of a compilation from The Birthday Party which I absolutely loved. I'm now moving onto his debut with The Bad Seeds so I can get a better sense of the transition of style and sound between both ventures. After listening to just the 1st track - Avalanche, I had to go back and listen to the original from Leonard Cohen a few times (which is also a fantastic song). Now that I've listened to both versions back-to-back I'm loving the way Cave transformed the original to his liking. Maybe now I can continue this journey..?

I am starting to become unsure that I'll be able to skip any of his previous albums now that it seems I'm fully invested, so it may take me some time to get to this newest release. Either way, I'll dig at the local record stores this week to see if I can stumble across any of his material - and if so, then maybe I'll skip ahead.

Also. I stumbled across this https://www.theredhandfiles.com/ and have been reading many of the letters. Cave sounds like a such a genuine person.
If you have the time and will to do it, that's the best way into Nick's discography. Also Avalanche cover is probably better than Cohen's original, and that's saying a lot.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website