GHOSTEEN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Daydreamer

• Posted: 10/09/2019 07:00
  • Post subject:
Nick Cave was one of the greats it took me the longest to get into. Since he has several phases it's a hard question where to start with him.

I for one wouldn't recommend Murder Ballads as a first choice for classic Cave, since it's a bit long and takes a time getting into. I think Let Love In is the better choice as a first album, followed by The Boatman's Call which represents the gentler Nick Cave the balladeer. And then you could try some modern Nick with Push The Sky Away which is the most accesible one from this decade.

So I'd take this route.

Let Love In by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Classic Cave, has some of this most well known songs and has his trademark gothic sound.

The Boatman's Call by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Piano ballads on this one, and his lyricism is definitely on godly lever throughout this record.

Push The Sky Away by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Here comes the best part, I honestly think 2010's are his best decade, even though he should be well past his prime. Only three albums released, yet two are great and the third one is just relesead and appears to be on the similar level. This is the minimalistic, ambient Cave, and I think that the style suited him perfectly.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
Jhereko

• Posted: 10/09/2019 14:53
  • Post subject:
Coming right at the end of the end of the decade gives this album an extra significance as if it's closing multiple chapters. Crazy to get something this good this late in the game.

I think listening to some of the Bad Seeds' 90s work (Good Son is I think the most consistent work but it all carries the qualities that are undeniably him) is a good place to start. Then you could probably skip ahead to Push The Sky Away, Skeleton Tree then this.
  • Visit poster's website
Lachapelle

Canada

• Posted: 02/06/2020 23:17
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
If you have the time and will to do it, that's the best way into Nick's discography.

So here's another update..

I have been absolutely loving my venture into Nick Cave's work. I haven't skipped a single album the whole ride through, and I genuinely spent a good amount of time digesting each album before moving onto the next. This guy is a legend. I've yet to hear a track I would call poorly executed or lacklustre. It truly amazes me that I never hear his name pop up in my music circles. I'm going to be spreading the word of Cave to as many people as I can.

I have just reached Nocturama and I am a bit worried to give it a spin as it is singled out as the only Bad Seeds album that is not a classic, with some even calling it a disaster altogether. Any thoughts on this? I don't think I can skip it seeing as I've already come this far (over 15 albums later).
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/07/2020 00:30
  • Post subject:
Cave for the Nobel 2034, just you watch.
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2020 03:16
  • Post subject:
Lachapelle wrote:
I have just reached Nocturama and I am a bit worried to give it a spin as it is singled out as the only Bad Seeds album that is not a classic, with some even calling it a disaster altogether. Any thoughts on this? I don't think I can skip it seeing as I've already come this far (over 15 albums later).

Nocturama is fine. I wouldn't call it a disaster, it's more that it's a lesser retread of the last few albums before it. It's mostly just uninspired and forgettable, but the closing track is pretty great.

I wouldn't put off listening to it, because Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus is fantastic and his best of the '00s.
Lachapelle

Canada

• Posted: 02/13/2020 17:59
  • Post subject:
babyBlueSedan wrote:
I wouldn't call it a disaster

Ok so I've listened to Nocturama multiple times now and I don't understand the hate. I'm not sure off the top of my head where I believe it should rank in his past discography, but even if it did land at the bottom it is nowhere near a "bad album" as I've seen many others describe it. I feel like this happens often to albums released in between classics, but given the quality of Nick Cave's previous output I'm shocked that people could dismiss it altogether.

Now I'm even more excited to continue this journey, knowing that I've endured/enjoyed his worst.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Lachapelle

Canada

• Posted: 04/12/2020 16:43
  • Post subject:
Well.. 6 months later.

I'm currently spinning Ghosteen for the 1st time. What a journey.

Nick Cave may very well be my favourite artist of all time now. Thank you for making this thread.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 04/12/2020 16:54
  • Post subject:
I was able to catch it live when it came out. It was a beautiful experience, even if it wasn't Nick Cave's most matured album. There were times where the album was unnecessarily slow, but it managed to stay new and fresh enough to keep me in a state of serenity.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 04/12/2020 19:30
  • Post subject:
Lachapelle wrote:
Well.. 6 months later.

I'm currently spinning Ghosteen for the 1st time. What a journey.

Nick Cave may very well be my favourite artist of all time now. Thank you for making this thread.

Applause

I still lurk even though I hardly post, but was surprised to see this thread still active. Even more surprised that it resulted in a new superfan. Thank you for taking the time and effort to properly digest the albums. I hate that I wasn't here for recommendations but the fact that you did it chronologically over a decent amount of time is impressive. I literally listened to them all in random order over the course of a few days. He truly is the GOAT, I don't care what anyone says. Probably the reason I'm still alive.

Ghosteen took me aback on first listen, which honestly was well over a month after initial release. Like I said, I was scared. But also it didn't help that I was in a very dark place for the latter half of 2019 which had me avoiding pretty much all music and films. Anyone who knows me knows those two mediums are my life, so I must admit to have supplemented myself with far less healthy activities. However, Ghosteen helped me through those times, and while I'm unsure I'll ever be happy again, I have my escape back.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 04/12/2020 22:29
  • Post subject:
Always glad to have another Nick Cave fan on BEA. And it’s a huge thing to listen to his whole discography in 6 months time, cudos to you.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website