Favorite/under appreciated artist and introductoryalbum

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
LankyLen

• Posted: 10/09/2019 16:14
  • Post subject: Favorite/under appreciated artist and introductoryalbum
As you can tell from my list, my musical taste isn’t the most varied. However, I’m open minded and always on the lookout for good music.

What I’m hoping is that folks will list a favorite or underrated artist and then give a good album for someone unfamiliar with their music to start with.
  • Visit poster's website
Lachapelle

Canada

• Posted: 10/09/2019 18:35
  • Post subject:
Peter Hammill.

The front man for the epic prog-rock group known as Van Der Graaf Generator. One of my favorite vocalists who has a great run of solo material, as well as an amazing discography with VDGG. I'd probably start with a record from his group if you're into proggier works (or if you are a fan of saxophone). For an intro to VDGG I'd go with H To He, Who Am The Only One. And for his solo work I think I'll choose Nadir's Big Chance but ask me tomorrow and I'll pick another. The same goes for VDGG honestly.. as there are far too many classic albums to choose from.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
pctrooper

United States

• Posted: 10/09/2019 19:40
  • Post subject:
I'll second Peter Hammill. Definitely one of my all-time favorite musicians. "Pawn Hearts" was the first Van Der Graaf Generator album that I heard and it blew me away. I've been a huge fan ever since. I also think that his first solo album, "Fool's Mate" might be a good one to start out with, but I can't argue with "Nadir's Big Chance" either.

Another recommendation... Based on our shared appreciation of "Hot Rats", I think you should check out Soft Machine. I love their first two albums (called volume one and volume two) which are both really trippy psychedelic jazz rock, but another favorite of mine from them would have to be "Bundles", which is an entirely instrumental album. In fact, "Bundles" sounds an awful lot like "Hot Rats". I think you might really be into it if you like jazz/rock fusion. It features the amazing guitarist Allan Holdsworth.
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 10/09/2019 21:59
  • Post subject:
Steve Sanders of the Oak Ridge Boys act (deceased)-Before becoming a member of the act, six solo gospel albums were done as well as a pop album under the name Pyramid.

Billy Joe Royal (deceased)-Cherry Hill Park, Royal Treatment, and his second self named album are my most favorite from him.

James Otto-Start with the Sunset Man album and then go to his album named Shake What God Gave Ya!

God bless you and James always!!!

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
NJ

United States

• Posted: 10/09/2019 22:34
  • Post subject: Re: Favorite/under appreciated artist and introductoryalbum
LankyLen wrote:
As you can tell from my list, my musical taste isn’t the most varied. However, I’m open minded and always on the lookout for good music.

What I’m hoping is that folks will list a favorite or underrated artist and then give a good album for someone unfamiliar with their music to start with.

Your list is certainly not the least varied I've seen - I think it's actually pretty good, anyways. Since I'm not sure what you've listened to, I'll probably not be reccomended super out-there bands. There are a few genres lacking, though, and I'm not sure if that's due to you simply disliking them or not having heard them. Looking through your list, and perhaps this is what you meant, you seem to be lacking in a lot of music from African-American and female artists. For the former, I'll reccommend the always classis Marvin Gaye (What's Going On) and Miles Davis (Kind of Blue) and Otis Redding (Otis Blue), and, for more recent acts, Kendrick Lamar (To Pimp a Butterfly). I absolutely loved TPAB despite not being a huge rap fan (I'll probably make a post about this once I listen to DAMN.). Female artists, I'd go for Bjork (Vespertine is her best, but Post or Homogenic are better starting places), Kate Bush (Hounds of Love) and Joni Mitchell (Blue). All of those albums are masterpieces.

Okay, for the interesting stuff: Genres. Two related genres I highly reccomend you look into are shoegaze and dream pop. Easily the best (starting place) of those genres is Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. It's the best studio album of the 90s, imo. Cocteau Twins (Heaven or Las Vegas), Ride (Nowhere), Slowdive (Souvlaki), and Broadcast (Haha Sound). There are some great foreign artists in those genres as well, such as Sigur Ros (Agaetis Byrjun) and Fishmans (Long Season). The latter's live album 98.12.28 is my favorite live album ever.

Also, have you listened to The Smiths (The Queen is Dead), The Stone Roses (The Stone Roses), Pixies (Doolittle), Joy Division (Unknown Pleasures and Closer), and Sonic Youth (Daydream Nation)? These are all great 80s alternative acts, imo. For the 00s, I highly reccomend Sufjan Stevens (Illinois), Arcade Fire (The Suburbs for the 10s, and Funeral for the 00s), and The Strokes (Is This It).

Finally, for now, you should listen to some Pavement. Slanted and Enchanted is always a classic. And Captain Beefheart, since you're a Zappa fan, if you havent. Probably Safe as Milk or Lick My Decals, Off Baby (the latter if you're into weirder stuff). If you like the latter, listen to his masterpiece, Trout Mask Replica.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 10/12/2019 02:39
  • Post subject:

You Can't Take It With You by As Tall As Lions
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 10/12/2019 03:45
  • Post subject:
You've got Ween & Battles on your list, so you're a good man.

The opportunity is endless, so here's one for you.

Another Setting by The Durutti Column
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 10/12/2019 08:33
  • Post subject:
Here's something you could easily like

Is This Desire? by PJ Harvey

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
LankyLen

• Posted: 10/21/2019 11:41
  • Post subject:
Starting with Lachapelle’s suggestion of Van Der Graf Generator’s H to He Who Am the Only One. Will listen to the Peter Hammill suggestion next.

So far VDGG is right up my alley. First track, Killer goes some interesting places! Thanks for the recommendation!

Just finished the album. Fantastic!! Great example of early prog rock. Sounded like an orgy of Yes, Zappa, and Hawkwind. Loved it!!
  • Visit poster's website
LankyLen

• Posted: 10/21/2019 15:00
  • Post subject:
Listened to Peter Hammill’s Nadir’s Big Chance. I liked this better than VDGG. Still quirky and proggy, but with a dash of pop sensibility thrown in,

Thanks again Lachapelle!
  • Visit poster's website