Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes- Home
42%
 42%  [9]
Total Votes : 21

cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 10/11/2019 02:00
  • Post subject:
Yeah back then it was justfiably considered sleazy, but today it would just be considered trend-riding and pandering- and as a marketing image probably wouldn't have make much noise at all (even if back then it was all hiss and no bite, commercial-wise). Just how society marches on. Not a good matchup based on authenticity, that's for sure, but to me it's all about the tunes and "All the Things She Said" is one of the great pop songs of the decade in spite of the ballyhooed vessel it came from and "Home" is... a song.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 10/11/2019 03:29
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
Yeah back then it was justfiably considered sleazy, but today it would just be considered trend-riding and pandering- and as a marketing image probably wouldn't have make much noise at all (even if back then it was all hiss and no bite, commercial-wise). Just how society marches on. Not a good matchup based on authenticity, that's for sure, but to me it's all about the tunes and "All the Things She Said" is one of the great pop songs of the decade in spite of the ballyhooed vessel it came from and "Home" is... a song.

I actually think it would get more flack if it were released today. First of all, it would be illegal in Russia. Second of all, for the reasons I mentioned (especially the child sexualization part) and the presence of social media to amplify that outrage, there would be more revulsion in the west.
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 10/11/2019 04:56
  • Post subject:
Both songs were overplayed on Belgian radio stations: I’m going to abstain
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 10/11/2019 08:28
  • Post subject:
I wonder if anybody's ever explicitly asked Putin for his opinion on TaTu Think ... they still have a moderate following in the former USSR even as they ahem played down the "tragic lovers" act with following releases.

Kind of the most interesting thing about T.A.T.U: they represent a very specific, weird, kind of hazily defined pop culture moment in time, one that certainly wouldn't get the same reaction today- which makes it great for a tournament like this that certainly is based a lot on nostalgia. And it's just a great over-the-top pop song on it's own right.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/11/2019 15:37
  • Post subject:
Neither of these genres are my thing. My kids love that Tatu song. My girlfriend loves that Home song. So it's kind of a draw for me. Both really good singles though. Loved the back & forth between baystate & CGD on this one too. Interesting stuff.

Went Home because my girlfriend is sitting next to me. If my kids were sitting next to me would have picked Tatu. Peer pressure rules! lol.

edit: Steph & I listened again and now prefers the first one. She's sort of sick of Home at this point.
  • Visit poster's website