2010s Music Diary

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
NJ

United States

• Posted: 03/19/2020 20:06
  • Post subject:
Hopefully I'm not boring everyone by listening to so much CSH, but they're what I'm in the mood for right now I guess. I'll listen to a new artist next time. I was thinking of revisiting Let England Shake since I only got like 1/3 through that album before deciding I wasn't in the mood for it like a year ago, so I should give it another chance. Having listened to so many sad lyrically-driven albums lately, though, I could do with a fun electronic dance album. With that...

How to Leave Town by Car Seat Headrest - Significantly better than MBIKMB and Teens of Style, in my opinion. I really liked all of the songs on this album, though Space Cadets was definitely the standout track for me. Not on the same level as Teens of Denial or Twin Fantasy, but a very solid album with Toledo's signature (and really depressing) poetry and great melody writing. A solid final Bandcamp release before his Matador days.

Edit: I now think this is on the same level of Teens of Denial. Definitely not TF, though.

Last edited by NJ on 04/09/2020 06:35; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
fjooso

• Posted: 03/23/2020 07:55
  • Post subject:
At first Danny’s scattershot delivery might be a bit disorientating but once you get over that hurdle, what you get is one of the decade’s best. And one of the beautifully tortured portraits of existentialism, depression and isolationism the genre has to offer.
  • Visit poster's website
NJ

United States

• Posted: 03/26/2020 23:55
  • Post subject:
fjooso wrote:
At first Danny’s scattershot delivery might be a bit disorientating but once you get over that hurdle, what you get is one of the decade’s best. And one of the beautifully tortured portraits of existentialism, depression and isolationism the genre has to offer.

I thought Atrocity Exhibition was great, just on a subjective level I don't really feel like revisiting it except for Ain't It Funny. I can appreciate the genre, and truly love a lot of the music in it, but at heart I'm an alt-rock guy, not a hip-hop guy, so I have my biases there. It is a great album, on an objective level I'd consider it for the top ten of the decade I've listened to, though I don't put much weight into "objective" lists.

Also, I listened to Pure Heroine a while ago, I've just been too lazy to write anything up about it. I'll try to do that tonight.
  • Visit poster's website
NJ

United States

• Posted: 03/27/2020 04:48
  • Post subject:
Pure Heroine by Lorde - I liked this more than I expected to. All the tracks were at least pretty good, though it was a bit frontloaded. After Team, I'd say all the worst tracks came next, but none of them were really bad, and it had a strong finish. 400 Lux was probably my favorite song on the album (I'm a sucker for sad love songs), but Royals is always a nostalgic classic for me. I like Lorde and her overall style, so while I wouldn't say I was amazed by this album or anything, it was solid. I'm looking forward to Melodrama, since Green Light is my favorite song of hers I've heard.
  • Visit poster's website
NJ

United States

• Posted: 04/09/2020 06:34
  • Post subject:
Monomania by Car Seat Headrest - Don't worry, I'll run out of albums of theirs to listen to eventually. I don't know why they're the only artist I seem capable of listening to, but whatever. This was a great album. Maybe my second favorite of theirs, though it's certainly no Twin Fantasy. Definitely on the same level as HTLT and Teens of Denial, and a lot better than MBIKMB and Teens of Style. Regarding ToS, however, Maud Gone was perhaps the standout track to me (though lyrically it made the least sense in the context of the album), and I appreciated it more this time around than I did when I listened to that album, though perhaps I should give it another listen. All the songs were fantastic, though. I felt that Souls through Anchorite were where this album really hit its stride, though. This is a really heartbreaking album, though I don't find it as oppresively depressing as Twin Fantasy, probably since that album is less vicious. This is an angry album, and the subject here has much more agency than he does on TF, which is a less tragic situation. Nonetheless, when this album hits, it hits hard. Musically it's pretty good, the melody writing is fantastic for the most part, but the instrumentation isn't anything to write home about. Pretty standard CSH fare, though more electronic. Lyrically, though, it's much more aggressive, and that's what makes it stand out. A great sequel to TF.
  • Visit poster's website
NJ

United States

• Posted: 04/10/2020 05:04
  • Post subject:
Nervous Young Man by Car Seat Headrest - Okay, look. The numbered albums aren't on spotify, so in order to listen to them I'll have to purchase them on bandcamp and I don't have money, so until Making a Door Less Open is released next month I won't be able to review another CSH album, so this is it for now. The only question is whether I'll be able to listen to any other artist to review until then... Anyways, this was a solid, heartbreaking album, but really long, and it unfortunately dragged quite a bit during the last half. That being the case, I can't say it's on the same level as Teens of Denial, How to Leave Town and Monomania, but it's closer to them than MBIKMB or Teens of Style for sure. The Gun Song was the obvious standout to me, it's probably in their top three songs. I'll try to listen to some other artists over the rest of the month.
  • Visit poster's website
NJ

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2020 05:19
  • Post subject:
So I found the numbered albums on youtube... I guess this really is the end of me posting about CSH on this diary of mine, though. The next album isn't a 2010s album, so I won't get to talk about it. Maybe I'll quickly mention it, but not give it its own entry. Anyways, thanks for putting up with me as I listened to all 12 of these, I'm gonna listen to some new stuff tomorrow. I just needed to go through his whole discography. I don't have too much to say about these, so I'll keep it short.

1 by Car Seat Headrest - This is... not very good. It has some solid tracks (up all night, kid war, etc.), but... yeah, it's not good. The quality is utterly terrible, there's no real focus or meaning behind the tracklist, and lyrically it's okay, I guess. To think he'd release 4 not four months later is insane, and the fact that Twin Fantasy wasn't even a year away is insane.

2 by Car Seat Headrest - This is 20 minutes shorter than 1, which I appreciated, though I don't think I enjoyed the best tracks as much as 1's. Pretty much the same in every other regard.

3 by Car Seat Headrest - The beach songs were a huge step up in terms of concept and songwriting and represent a huge leap in overall quality for him. The rest of the tracks are pretty much the same. This album is alright, because of the beach songs, but the rest is not much better than the first two.

4 by Car Seat Headrest - Apparently 3 is the most popular of the numbered albums, but to me this is easily the best one. All the songs are solid and fun. It's not a great album, but it's a really enjoyable listen, in my opinion. Definitely worth checking out.
  • Visit poster's website
NJ

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2020 21:38
  • Post subject:
I Love You, Honeybear by Father John Misty - This was pretty much exactly what I was in the mood to listen to today. Something soft, nice, witty, lyrical and not overly long. What a phenomenal album. It's pretty perfect in every way. Musically it's not the most experimental or interesting, but it's such a pleasant listen. Easily one of my favorites from the decade. Certainly top 10, though I'm not sure it's quite able to make it into the top 5. Still, amazing. Loved the lyrics and all the songs were super solid. I'm gonna go listen to Pure Comedy now.
  • Visit poster's website
NJ

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2020 23:24
  • Post subject:
Pure Comedy by Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear may have missed out on the top 5, but this one didn't. Easily one of the best albums I've ever heard. It's not a perfect album - I've heard the complaints lodged against it, and they're not wrong, really - but it doesn't have to be. It's long, full of itself, doesn't really offer any answers, etc. But it doesn't have to. Isn't that really the point? I for one liked all of the songs, and some of them, especially at the very beginning and end, are some of the best I've heard from the decade. It's just a phenomenal album. Because of the length I can see myself revisiting Honeybear more often, but I do think this is the better album. Perhaps top 3 from the whole decade. I truly loved it. I wouldn't have guessed I'd be such a big FJM fan, but this is what I love about getting to do this diary. Ever since I've started it I've been much more motivated to listen to albums and I've discovered so many new artists I love and expanded my tastes a lot, and I've only just begun. It's so exciting. I'm not always able to listen to albums, as those who have followed me this whole time are aware (sorry for my constant hiatuses), but I really look forward to continuing with this in the future.
  • Visit poster's website
NJ

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2020 01:38
  • Post subject:
The Idler Wheel... by Fiona Apple - It definitely took me a while to warm up to this style. I wasn't sure I'd enjoy it much at first, but by the end of the album I think it ended up being what I can only describe as important to me? I don't know how to put it any better. I'm not sure I'll ever be in the mood to listen to it again - it's just too minimalistic for me - but by the last song, just the combination of the emotional, powerhouse vocals and the phenomenal lyrics resulted in a really solid experience overall that I really valued. It meant a lot to me. It took a while for me to enjoy it, but I did. I can't say I love the style, or that I'm super interested in the rest of her discography as a result, but I'm very glad I listened to the album.
  • Visit poster's website