Album of the day (#3265): Damn. by Kendrick Lamar

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 11/24/2019 21:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#3265): Damn. by Kendrick Lamar
Today's album of the day

Damn. by Kendrick Lamar (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 2017.
Overall rank: 430
Average rating: 80/100 (from 968 votes).

Tracks:
1. Blood.
2. DNA.
3. Yah.
4. Element.
5. Feel.
6. Loyalty. (Feat. Rihanna)
7. Pride.
8. Humble.
9. Lust.
10. Love. (Feat. Zacari)
11. XXX. (Feat. U2)
12. Fear.
13. God.
14. Duckworth.

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 11/25/2019 01:04
  • Post subject:
This is a good album, but the hype that followed it was a little much. I get that it's more accessible, while being more personal to Kendrick, but the consistency isn't really there. There are some really good songs, but only two or three I'd remotely consider as top ten Kendrick songs.

Track picks
4. Element.
5. Feel.
7. Pride.
14. Duckworth.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 11/25/2019 06:16
  • Post subject:
This album is a trainwreck. Have never liked it, and probably never will. If it was any other artist who made this, people would clown it and forget about it within a few months. The fact that it is #1 of 2017, and so high up on the rank, alongside RYM, gets to me.
Sorry if I sound bitter, but alongside Yeezus, it is potentially the most overrated album of the decade!
The only tracks I like are Pride, Humble, XXX, Fear, Duckworth - and none of them (maybe Pride) comes close to the level Kendrick has shown on previous releases.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
wenny

Australia

• Posted: 11/25/2019 10:41
  • Post subject:
In absolute agreement with the other takes here. How could this possibly be so high up here? Shameful that hype can play such a role in the placement of such a record. TPAB and GKMC are huge landmarks, but jesus does this one flop quick. DUCKWORTH. and ELEMENT. would be the two highlights.
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 11/25/2019 13:17
  • Post subject:
I actually think this album is overhated among serious music listeners. There are a couple duds but overall I think it's more consistent all the way through than Section .80. I still just kind agree with this write up I have on my 2017 chart for this album:

Call me a Kendrick stan if you want, but this is one of the best pop rap albums that currently exists. There really was no winning for Kendrick going this direction (as far as critic backlash goes), and I do understand the backlash this album gets. BUT...it is obvious this album only receives as much hate from critics that it does because he is following up two of the greatest rap albums out there today, in particularly TPAB (props to P4k for not roasting this album). If any other artist not so critically acclaimed released this, or if this were Kendrick's debut album, I think this would be actually be much more critically acclaimed. The thing is, critics dont want pop rap from Kendrick right now because that will be deemed to be a subgenre downgrade from jazz rap. So really no matter the quality of this album, it was bound for heavy backlash from music nerds from the get-go. This is why the album is praised outside of the album hobbyist culture. The public would much rather have an accessible pop rap album than another jazz rap album. Regardless, no matter how I approach this album, I love just about every minute of it. Plus it's not like Kendrick has given up his lyricism in the process of taking a more mainstream approach. Kendrick does sound more vulnerable and introspective than ever before on this album. I will admit 'HUMBLE.' is probably one of my least favorite tracks in his discography, but aside from that song I never skip anything. Certain tracks like LOYALTY, GOD, and LOVE get a ton of hate, but I love all three of those tracks. GOD is actually one of my favorite songs by him, because of how fun the vocals are to sing/rap along too. This album also released at one of the greatest times of my life, and was a soundtrack for the summer I initially moved to Orlando. Overall, I really don't blame Kendrick for going in this direction because in my opinion he killed it and following up GKMC and TPAB is no easy feat. Kendrick consistently has reinvented his sound on each album, and on each album he has not disappointed me yet. So yeah, I think this is not only one of the years best albums, but to me it is obviously one of the greatest pop rap records on the market.
  • Visit poster's website
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/25/2019 13:29
  • Post subject:
Echoing sentiments here - this is bang average.

Sorry I have been away all!

#1-#100 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3641

#101-#200 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=49444

Check Me Out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
swagnadalf

• Posted: 11/25/2019 15:39
  • Post subject:
I don’t agree with your assessments at all. This album is an all-time favourite and was from the first time I heard it when it leaked. Listening to it is like having my deepest frustrations with America reflected back at me. It’s the most complex app expression of black suffering and struggle I’ve heard in music so far this century.

Content aside it also has the most incredible flows and rhyme patterns from Kendrick yet. Not exaggerating. It’s the fucking greatest.
  • Visit poster's website