Best of 2010s Charts?

View previous topic :: View next topic
ledaero

United States

• Posted: 11/25/2019 21:48
  • Post subject: Best of 2010s Charts?
Has anyone else been working on their Top Albums of the 2010s charts? I've been trying to refine mine over the past few months and I think it's done *pending any great late 2019 releases (Frank Ocean?)*

Here's the link to my chart: https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=54617

Would love thoughts and comments, and would love to check out other users' charts!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/25/2019 22:02
  • Post subject: Re: Best of 2010s Charts?
ledaero wrote:
*pending any great late 2019 releases (Frank Ocean?)*

Don't hold your breath. Could maybe seeing RTJ4 out by the end of the year, but other than that, I don't think we're in for any last minute 'surprises'. Still plenty of releases though.

I'm thinking of doing a major revamp of my 10s chart before the decade's spent... spice it up a little. What a decade though. I have some 3,000+ releases logged as listened on BEA. The amount of music has been overwhelming.

Probably the best decade for music since the 70s.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 11/25/2019 22:41
  • Post subject:
I've been relistening all the albums from 2010-2017 cause I wasn't active much back than (and also wasn't listening to much music pre 2016), rating them and adding to 2010s chart. I think I'll have a decent top 100 by the end of the year, but I'll need maybe 6 months in 2020 to balance the chart and remove those 2019 albums I know I've overhyped haha. Feel free to drop a rec anytime.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 11/25/2019 22:58
  • Post subject:
Yeah i just finished revamping mine a month or two ago and I love looking at it and just scrolling through my updated great taste in music Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/19/2019 18:58
  • Post subject:
https://www.tinymixtapes.com/features/2...ses-decade

Tinymixtapes has put out a solid but surprisingly mainstream list. Can't believe it, but there's only 3 releases on there I haven't heard (albeit two are in the top 10, bizarrely including the #1). Worth combing through. Their writing's always great.

I'll work on adding it to the site in a sec.

Spoiler: Carly Rae Jepson's in the top 20, which's wild for TMT.

EDIT: Added it to the site only to realise the sole 2019 record on the list is Triad God's Triad... not sure what they had against this year.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 12/21/2019 07:24
Hayden wrote:

Don't know if I agree with that, but then again I don't know how to rank decades so I guess point-mute. Can see how it can be an exciting time for musical discovery especially since the sheer breadth of releases available is overwhelming compared to previous eras.

Anyways have started listening to a few albums I've missed especially in my pre-BEA years (2010-early '12), as well as doing some re-listening, realized some albums I still have ranked high I don't think I've perused in years so a good time to see how they play in hindsight I guess.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/24/2019 21:22
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
Hayden wrote:

Don't know if I agree with that, but then again I don't know how to rank decades so I guess point-mute. Can see how it can be an exciting time for musical discovery especially since the sheer breadth of releases available is overwhelming compared to previous eras.

Anyways have started listening to a few albums I've missed especially in my pre-BEA years (2010-early '12), as well as doing some re-listening, realized some albums I still have ranked high I don't think I've perused in years so a good time to see how they play in hindsight I guess.

Yeah - I'm not sure about the 70s comment, as for me it's about the 60s and 90s (usually) as the best decades when I do a gut check, but so far my ratings average like this:
This section cheats because I don't have anything really below an 80 most of the time (and also have a smaller sample size from Modern onwards):
Early Music: 81.1
Baroque: 84.2
Classical: 88.3
Romantic: 85.5
Modern: 86.7
Post-Modern: 80
1920s: 85
1930s: 86.9
1940s: 87.7

Where I have 200+ ratings... that likely need to be re-evaluated like CGD said:
1950s: 74.8
1960s: 75.6
1970s: 77.7
1980s: 76.9
1990s: 79.3
2000s: 80.1
2010s: 78.1

Just revamped my 2010s chart... kinda... like more like took my spreadsheet of 2010s and made my chart match it closer. I also didn't do a song for song analysis for much of it and I'm also not 100% I like that methodology anymore... idk. Like I have albums in the 50s that I'd like to think were more like top 20.

The other issue I have is what to do when 60 albums are more or less on the same par? OR they are just all of a B range, but DIFFERENT... like not better or worse, just different.

Anyway, of the ones I listened to all these are pretty great: (stuck somewhere between all this stuff is shit and all the shit is shit with shit on top and man I love these)
Top 100 Music Albums of the 2010s by RoundTheBend
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/24/2019 23:03
  • Post subject:
I'm strongly in the "best decade since the 70s" camp.... although it's only really the first half of the 70s that was really awesome. The 90s leave me mostly flat (or annoyed) and the 00s are much the same. And the 80s were... well... the 80s. But I have found so much to love in this current decade, and across a good variety of genres.
  • Visit poster's website