Hail Yourself

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 12/17/2019 02:53
  • Post subject:
Sorry for not responding but that other The Field album is also excellent.
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 12/18/2019 18:54
  • Post subject:
Onto some recs:

Per LedZep,

Tales From The Thousand Lakes by Amorphis

I fucking loved this and I'm glad you recommended it to me because I've been meaning to peep this one. I saw this was recently repressed in a metal forum from somewhere else on the internet and buzz caught my attention but I never got to it until now. Fantastic melodic death metal that really carries a sort of Viking/fantasy feel, at least to me. It's a potent 40 minute album which is a primetime length for death metal records, imo. Death metal is a metal subgenre I often find myself struggling with, so if you're like me and need a record to guide you in the right direction, please check this out.

Per Lowkey,

Nothing Is Still by Leon Vynehall

You were right, a lot of good textures on this record. Kind of like an classical-ambient house hybrid record which really hits the spot in the winter time. Definitely a record that can grow with time. I will be revisiting it as I study for boards next semester.

Regarding studying music, I have a playlist on Spotify where I keep my favorite studying albums, but I also have a list on rym for those who are curious. I dedicated it to my fellow classmates so I apologize in advance for the watered down explanations on some classic albums.

Currently, I am listening to Xièxie by Celer as recommended by Tha1ChiefRocka. Sorry I didn't get to it sooner, the 90 minute runtime made me delay my listening session but I'm doing some light board studying at the local coffee shop atm so this will be perfect as I study some neuro. I'll post about it next.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 12/18/2019 18:55
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Sorry for not responding but that other The Field album is also excellent.

No worries, my good man.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 12/18/2019 20:12
  • Post subject:

Xièxie by Celer

So I'm on the final minutes of this 90 minute ambient-drone record and it's easy to see how sonically related this is to Ornitheology by Chubb Wolf. It's broken up into 11 tracks instead of two long 45 minute pieces, so there is more variation than Ornitheology and it does feel like there are more components to the compositions. Xiexie definitely strikes the same vein of emotionally tense ambient-drone that is simultaneously soothing. I like the Japanese train field recordings for the extra push of escapism. Ultimately this record is just as great as Ornitheology, but if I had to pick between the two, I think I'd choose this one. Many thanks again, Tha1ChiefRocka, for the rec. If you haven't checked it out yet, I'd say it's worth setting some time aside in your day for it.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 12/19/2019 00:46
  • Post subject:
I’m really glad you liked Amorphis! That album is their masterpiece imo, a perfect blend of melodic death, black and goth doom genres. And the fantasy lyrics and imagery, which I’m not always a fan of, are perfectly executed here. Makes me feel like I’m in the middle of a Finnish lake with a perfect view of some Kalevala-style battle. Their newer stuff is very different and even more melodic (they sold out!), but just as good.
And love that rym chart, I mostly listen to music while studying so I’ll surely try some of those.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 12/19/2019 02:12
  • Post subject:
Celer has over 200 releases according to discogs, so it's hard to find what's good, but that one certainly is. Glad you found some enjoyment from it!
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 12/20/2019 03:46
  • Post subject:

Duster by Duster

I honestly didn't think Duster had it in themselves to create another fantastic LP. Slowcore in 2019? Sure, their old slowcore is amazing, Stratosphere is in my top 5 favorite albums of all time. But that was made at a creative peak of the genre and there is definitely a novelty factor with the record that can contribute to people's enjoyment. But their self-titled effort right here exceeded my expectations. Despite the 20 years in between releases, this sounds like a great logical follow up to their sophomore record, Contemporary Movement. It's not just a copy-and-paste of that because it shows Duster evolved as a band for their comeback. Their self-titled is still slowcore, but it feels more shoegazey and raw-psych/space rock. Signature Duster sounds still exist on the record: soft-spoken vocals, lo-fi recording, easy guitar notes, a 4 minute track of straight guitar feedback which sounds like an idea taken straight from their Stratosphere sessions. It also all sounds sooooo excellent, it had my mouth watering. I was very pleased with this album and I'll proudly place it high on my end of the year list, which should be finalized soon, if not now.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 12/20/2019 22:22
  • Post subject:

Maison Rose by Emmanuelle Parrenin

Another album I found while shuffling through Lowkey's chart. Excellent French-alps avant folk/psych folk. I don't exactly know what makes this considered a psych folk release (since that's what it's labelled on rym), but I don't exactly care either because it's the escapism this album evokes. Sure, this album is sung in French, but the way the songs are composed and played sounds like it comes straight out of the French alps. Its avant-garde approach keeps you on the edge of the seat throughout the album's duration. You can't exactly predict what the next song will sound like, and I think that's a great thing. Perfect for winter listening.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 12/24/2019 04:46
  • Post subject:

Mirror In Darkness by Serpent Column

Late addition to the Favorite Albums of 2019 list. This thing is batshit crazy. It's black metal with mathcore and it's an absolutely ferocious listen. Mirror In Darkness starts without giving you a chance to catch your breath. Its entire 44 minute duration is just relentless organized chaos that does not, and I mean does not, calm down until it's finished. Super fun listen for those looking for some seriously punishing, but unique black metal.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 01/02/2020 04:49
  • Post subject:
Hope everyone had a happy New Year's celebration to ring in the new decade! Just wanted to share my NYE experience and my listening goals for the new year and beyond.

So for New Years, I went to Bassnectar's NYE 360 concert and it was a magnificent experience. I normally don't listen to dubstep and festival edm when I'm on Spotify or searching for new artists and I definitely don't chart those types of albums. You'd think I wouldn't be interested in edm concerts. Well, during the summer of 2019 I went to my first edm concert and it was a mind-changing experience. It is NOT simply playing the same tracks off Spotify live. The artists are live mixing their sets, making each concert a one-of-a-kind experience. The visuals have yet to be matched by non-edm concerts: there are bright lights, lasers, psychedelic videos, it's all one crazy trip. Plus the crowd itself acts as an enhancer for the experience as everyone is dressed up in the most vibrant outfits and cheer loudly for some wicked drops. Speaking of drops, I never get sick of them. Sure, you could say edm is formulaic since it's just build-up and drop after build-up and drop, but in the concert setting it works. As a concert goer, all you need to do is be in the moment and you'll find yourself relentlessly dancing and raving the night away.

The Bassnectar concert was seriously fun. His set was loud, trippy, and commanding. I do regret not wearing earplugs because it was also very fucking loud. However, the high volume caused my whole body to feel the vibrations from the bass, which certainly feels therapeutic to an extent. A whole storm of strobe lights, lasers, and psychedelic imagery really amplified the music he was mixing. Even if you didn't like the music, it's hard to not be stunned by the visuals. Even the police officers, who thought the music sounded ridiculous, were mesmerized by the stage. I've had the pleasure of seeing some great artists live from small gigs to stadium-filled shows, but that was easily the best concert I've ever been to. No other concert has made me dance for 7 hours straight AND still have energy when the night was over. I didn't want it to end. I still haven't even heard an album by the man, but holy shit was his show incredible. I would definitely pay to see him live again.

Regarding my listening goals, I only have a few. First, I want get in the habit of reviewing the music I listen to, not because I want to become the next Pitchfork writer or Anthony Fantano, but because I want to become more well-spoken when discussing music. I don't know what it is, but I feel like my writing skills and ability to communicate my thoughts and feelings about music have regressed. I've been recycling the same phrases over and over and sometimes I find myself regurgitating a phrase I read or heard from a review instead of speaking for myself. Frankly, I'm kind of tired of it and I want to be more thoughtful with my opinions. I want to be able to start writing lengthy reviews that are worthy of being featured in a publication. I believe if I become a better writer and communicator of my thoughts and feelings towards music, then it can translate into other scenarios. Being well-spoken is certainly a benefit in life and I want to become better communicator. I think implementing this goal into my music hobby will be an excellent step towards reaching that goal.

Second, I have been a little too addicted to collecting physical copies of music. Purchasing vinyl records and CDs certainly isn't a bad hobby, it's just that I've put myself into risky financial situations recently because I want a pressing of an album I just heard and loved. After all, I am still a medical student, so my income doesn't really let me splurge. So, to combat this problem, I'm going to limit the amount of new album listens and increase the amount of relistens to music I already own. I need to get better at truly appreciating the records and CD's I've owned. Yes, I bought them to collect them, but at the same time, I bought them to enjoy them and play them. I think implementing this goal will help reduce my spendings and also increase my appreciation for albums that I already think are great. Also, I think it will help me spend less time looking up new music and more time focusing on studying for boards, which I take this summer.

Lastly, and this goal is somewhat related to the first, I want to get better at listening to and reading lyrics. When it comes to albums, atmosphere/feel is undoubtedly the most important quality I look for. I'm tired of neglecting some albums that do have compelling song lyrics, but I'm more infatuated with the vibe they deliver. And yes, some albums like metal albums with harsh vocals do make it difficult to listen to lyrics, but what's stopping me from simply googling lyrics if they're available online? Sincerely listening to and reading lyrics will add more depth of appreciation towards my favorite music and simultaneously increase my ability to communicate my opinion.

I want to thank those who've sent me suggestions for music this past decade on BEA and also thank the friends I've made on this website. You all are truly BEAutiful people. Thank you guys for being the outlet I need to get these thoughts regarding music out of my system. I don't exactly have that many people I can discuss music with on the same level as we do and I certainly don't know anyone irl that appreciates metal music, jazz music, ambient music, or any other difficult genres like we do. I hope you all have a wonderful new year and new decade.