Top 10+ Music, Movies, and Visual Art of the Week (2023)

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 01/03/2020 17:42
  • Post subject: Top 10+ Music, Movies, and Visual Art of the Week (2023)
WHAT IS THIS LOG???

This is a log where, over the course of a given week or set of weeks, I consistently track about 90% (or even as much as 100%, but not always) of the Rock, Jazz and Classical music I am listening to, and/or the Films, Paintings/Visual Art I am viewing.

Sometimes I track all of it but when I am extra busy this is almost never the case.

For the given week(s) I also rank all the selections. The rankings on this log only reflect how much I favored them during the given period of time, not "overall" or "all-time". Therefore, while higher rated works will more frequently out-perform works rated lower than them, this will not always be the case -- they will not always reflect the same rankings on my "Greatest" lists. Just because a work is rated above another does not mean I enjoy it more 100% of the time (just most of the time; closer to 100% the wider the ratings differential).

Many factors can make me temporarily favor a lesser rated work over a higher rated one, including but not limited to:

-Very often, a new work to me will rank higher than it usually might, even above others with higher ratings, due to being temporarily enhanced by the excitement of discovery. There can be a similar "excitement of discovery" when I've made a new realization about a familiar work, and especially if I've just upgraded it to a higher rating, or am considering doing so.
-My mood or perhaps even something in my personal life during the given week(s) may cause me to temporarily favor a particular genre or expressive type.
-I may be particularly focused on a genre or artist or type of art (etc) so my interest is more heightened towards those over others during the given week(s).
-One of the factors taken into account for the rankings here is how much time I spent on a work and/or how much I listened to, viewed or evaluated the work during the given week(s). Ex: If I listened to Highway 61 Revisited 10 times but Velvet Underground and Nico only 1 time, there is a very good chance I was much more consumed by Highway 61 Revisited during that time frame, and it will likely out-rank it here, even if otherwise I usually would favor, rate and rank Velvet Underground and Nico above it.

These kinds of factors are temporary and are ultimately not given permanent consideration in my overall ratings and rankings as they usually only apply for a matter of days or a week or two, so would tend to represent a minority of my experiences with a work. My overall ratings reflect the ranking and rating that work most consistently sustains over the course of time, not fleetingly.

On this log, a higher ranking than expected for a lower rated work can be a legitimate reflection that I am strongly considering upgrading it. Similarly, a lower ranking than expected for a higher rated work can be a legitimate reflection that I am considering downgrading it. But neither of these are always the case -- just an indication that it might be. Sometimes, more revisits may be needed to make a final determination, especially if with a work that has been stably rated and ranked for a considerable period of time before that.

To qualify for inclusion here, the work has to rate 6.8 or above -- or at least did so at some point during the given week(s).

If I include an additional "Top 10+" for lower rated works (such as 4.8/10-6.7/10) then of course those can be included as indicated.

Below the "Top 10+" list(s), you will find where I log any ratings changes to the music, films or paintings/visual art for the given week(s). This has usually been reserved for ratings changes to works rated 6.8/10+ (or upgraded to this), unless otherwise indicated.

Ratings updates initially colored in BLUE are those I've revisited within the given week(s) or, if not, very recently before that (close enough).

Ratings updates initially colored in RED are not based on a revisit of the work DURING the listed week(s) or very recently, but usually a result of ratings tweaks being made in comparison to others or it may be part of a "domino effect" of changes that can follow from a change in my ratings scale or a general reconsideration of an artist, type of work, genre, etc.

Below that you will find where I track my "Top 50 Works of Art of the Year". These are what I favored the most over that year, whether the work is new or old to me. The higher the ranking, the more I favored that work and the more it dominated my interests over the course of that year. Again, this will not always reflect the same rankings as one will find on my overall "Greatest" lists, as it is for that year only, but will certainly tend to favor the higher rated works. Very rarely does anything below 8.8/10 end up winning for the year, and if it did, it was probably considered 8.8/10 or above at that time even if not any more.

This log started back around 2008-2009 on a site called listology (that crashed later) and began as just a really good way to track what I was listening to or viewing and also became a good foundation from which to build my lists from as they were rapidly growing at that time (especially as these had expanded between rock, jazz, classical, cinema, and later, paintings). Updates could be difficult to keep up with as my lists expanded and this log became a good source to see them all in one spot so one didn't have to keep checking each individual list out to see if anything had changed. This log also soon became a good source from which a lot of interesting discussion would take place, and this remains my favorite reason for keeping it running. It is also just sort of a personal "game" (so to speak) with myself, to keep my interest and discipline peeked along the way, to help keep my mind "sharp" in thinking with and determining ratings/rankings along the way and across a huge scale of qualitative increments. Outside of that, the "Top 10+" rankings for each week or set of weeks, the "Top 50 of the year" rankings, and so on, are rather meaningless in the scheme of things, in that they're ultimately not too essential for the main lists that I work on but rather "notes" or a reflection of my thinking along the way. It's all terribly nerdy, of course, but it works for me, and over the years some users across listology and BEA seem to have found it of some interest too, and that community and discussion has been helpful for me in fine tuning my lists, my views, criteria, analyses, etc (and hopefully, helpful both ways, too). Ultimately, my favorite result is if the log leads to interesting discussion about the works themselves, about ratings/rankings, about discoveries in art, and the like. So if you feel inclined to share your thoughts or have a question, or have a recommendation, you are more than welcome to do so.

I try to take up all discussion and answer all questions. Generally speaking, all are welcome (particularly those that are genuine, not trolling). Naturally, those questions best aligned to which works/genre(s) I'm most currently featuring on this log (which also displays my immediate, active interests), are (usually) those that get the better and quicker responses. If I am very focused on a particular art or genre, I am not usually all that good at discussing much about another, as I am best with those I am actively invested in, being inspired by and actively thinking about. While there are certain common denominators that make all art comparable, each art tends to require its own way of thinking and evaluating it in its own contexts, and I tend to get fairly immersed in this alone when I am seriously invested in a particular genre or type of work, therefore I find it difficult to shake that mindset and discuss other works as freely and with as much interest.

That said, if you have something to say or ask about any of the various arts I pursue, whether I am actively logging it or not, just go for it. It can never hurt and I'm not here to stop or inhibit you from saying what you want when you want to say it. Even if I don't give a good answer right then and there, it's harmless to get it out there and we can always come back to it when it's more aligned to my active interests (and you can always remind me later too).

One last note: I lead a fairly busy life and when I am replying or posting on BEA, it is usually in between things plus often from my phone (not the best for typing). So although I usually keep a BEA tab open throughout the day for quick access, I am not (usually) ACTIVELY on the site for more than short spurts of time here and there and am often hurried when I reply or say something. So forgive me if those replies can be haphazard (poorly written, punctuated, descriptively rushed, etc). They are usually a bit sloppy with me banking on the hope that I still got the gist of my main idea(s) across. You are always welcome to follow up if you want clarification or don't know what the hell I meant! I can usually explain something better if I return to it with a little more time or by the second or third crack at it (we hope), but I usually don't try and further clarify any of these unless someone continues the discussion or asks me to. My more official reviews/analyses for a given work (though infrequent) tend to be better, more well thought out, better detailed and specified, examples of what I actually think about said work(s) than my often haphazard replies or the notes in this log, which are usually more the "gist" or "general idea" or an "abbreviated version" of my thoughts. So take my more haphazard replies/notes with that in mind, and feel free to ask further if I haven't explained myself well enough. I do hope to add more official reviews/analyses in the future.

Top 10+ Music, Movies, and Visual Art of the Week (2020)

NOTE: This is a log of my favorite works of music, cinema and/or visual art for the given week(s). The rankings here will not necessarily parallel my overall rankings, as these are only what I favored for the given week(s). To qualify for inclusion, the work must be rated 6.8/10 or better (or at least was at some point during the week). This log will also include updated ratings for my various lists (below the "Top 10+" section)

Below that, there will be a running listing of my "Top 50 Works of Art of the Year". This is simply a log of my favorite art over the course of this whole year, whether old or new to me. This list is cumulative, week-to-week, until its final standings at the end of the year.

Recommendations and suggestions welcome. For my criteria, go here: http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...hp?t=15503

Bold = Newly added
Bold + Italics = Was already listed but recently upgraded/downgraded

Top 10+ Music, Movies, and Visual Art of the Week(s): 1-1-2020 - 1-12-2020
The Doors - The Doors (1966)
Blonde On Blonde - Bob Dylan (1966)
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan (1965)
The Third Man - Carol Reed (1949)
A Genuine Tong Funeral - Carla Bley/Gary Burton (1967)
Volunteers - Jefferson Airplane (1969)
We Insist! Freedom Now Suite - Max Roach (1960)
All Bitches Die - Lingua Ignota (2017)
Let the Evil of His Own Lips Cover Him - Lingua Ignota (2017) ...NOT RATED YET ... but probably at least 7.5+ & excellent chance at 7.8+ with further listens
Sunset Boulevard - Billy Wilder (1950)
Millions Now Living Will Never Die - Tortoise (1996)
History of Heat - Sadaf (2019) ...NOT RATED YET ... but probably at least 7.3+ & solid chance at 7.8+ with further listens
Everybody Knows This is Nowhere - Neil Young (1969)
Suspicion - Alfred Hitchcock (1941)
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Quentin Tarantino (2019) ...Echoes Tarantino's influences throughout, such as Sergio Leone, Welles (Touch of Evil), Scorsese, old B movies (etc). The whole film plays with the idea of a "western within a western", and its nostalgic recreation of late 60s Hollywood makes several references to the present while also being the past. The ending in which Tarantino subverts history, replaces it with his own ultra violent resolution, thus giving the middle finger to his critics that have denounced him for this very thing, can be viewed from several angles. Here he seems to be using it to alter the course of history, as a force of "good", to rearrange the trajectory of the very period and sort of filmmaking that shaped his own, but this is also left very ambigious, open ended and allusory for the viewer to recreate how events may have transpired in this new "course of history", and thus rendering the whole period lovingly immortal instead of its actual horrific end. Here he seems to transform the "end of the 60s" (which Tate's murder symbolized) into an immortalization of it, lending extra creedence to the nostalgia trip we've partaken in with him in all the previous scenes (which seemed shaky in their necessity, or were they?). Is Tarantino also alluding to not just a salvaging of a bygone hollywood era but perhaps Polanski too thus rewriting the trajectory of his life and potentially altering a key historical precedent to the recent Hollywood climate to which Tarantino himself has been lambasted for ("#Metoo" etc)? Im not sure but the film begs many such possible questions/ambiguities and interpretations in its apparent motivations and in its many quotations (of Leone, Welles, through the revisionist characters and events, etc) and the many possible allusions stemming from this. This may all hold the potential for one of the better films of the decade, potentially very intriguing in the context of a swansong and the conflation of period, Hollywood, Tarantino's influences, personality and juxtaposition with the time-line and inspiration of his life and career. Quite an interesting work and extraordinary in ways, but overall I am somewhat torn on just how great it is. But as noted, there seems potential left for much more interpretation and significance depending on just how profoundly Tarantino has conflated these elements and influences with his own art and how well this holds up through multiple views (does it hold up AS cinema, IN the filmic language itself or is too much of this only relevant if you know the history, backstories etc?). At times Tarantino's integration seems significant while during stretches I wasn't sure, or perhaps missed the correlation... Well worth another viewing or more, with potential for upgrade.
Are You Experienced? - Jimi Hendrix (1967)
Miracle in Milan - Vittorio de Sica (1951)
Pavilion of Dreams - Harold Budd (1978)
Let My Children Hear Music - Charles Mingus (1972)
Late For the Sky - Jackson Browne (1974)
Laura - Otto Preminger (1944)
Odd Man Out - Carol Reed (1947)
A Better Tomorrow - John Woo (1986)
This Year's Model - Elvis Costello (1978)
Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan (1975)

FAMILIAR ROCK/JAZZ ALBUMS - RE-RATED:
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan (1965) 8.2/10 to 8.3/10
Let My Children Hear Music - Charles Mingus (1972) 8.3/10 to 8.2/10
Pavilion of Dreams - Harold Budd (1978) 8.3/10 to 7.9/10

NEWLY ASSIMILATED ROCK/JAZZ ALBUMS - RATED:
All Bitches Die - Lingua Ignota (2017) 7.6/10

FAMILIAR FILMS - RE-RATED:
The Third Man - Carol Reed (1949) 7.3/10 to 7.6/10
Miracle in Milan - Vittorio de Sica (1951) 8.1/10 to 7.6/10
Suspicion - Alfred Hitchcock (1941) Not Rated to 7.3/10
Laura - Otto Preminger (1944) 7.3/10 to 7.0/10
A Better Tomorrow - John Woo (1986) Not Rated to 7.0/10

NEWLY ASSIMILATED FILMS - RATED:
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Quentin Tarantino (2019) 7.1/10
Odd Man Out - Carol Reed (1947) 7.0/10

TOP 50 WORKS OF ART OF THE YEAR (2019)

PAST WINNERS: 1995 - 2018

(NOTE: My series of "Top 10 of the Week" lists only actually goes back to 2008. Prior to that are simply my noted favorite works of each given year without any attempt to keep further record)

2018: Symphony No. 9 in D Minor "Choral" - Ludwig van Beethoven (1824)
2017: Sistine Chapel (Ceiling & The Last Judgement) - Michelangelo Buonarroti (1512; 1541)
2016: Sistine Chapel (Ceiling & The Last Judgement) - Michelangelo Buonarroti (1512; 1541)
2015: Astral Weeks - Van Morrison (1968)
2014: Sistine Chapel (Ceiling & The Last Judgement) - Michelangelo Buonarroti (1512; 1541)
2013: Requiem - Giuseppe Verdi (1874)
2012: Citizen Kane - Orson Welles (1941)
2011: Citizen Kane - Orson Welles (1941)
2010: Symphony No. 9 in D Major - Gustav Mahler (1910)
2009: Nostalghia - Andrei Tarkovsky (1983)
2008: The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady - Charles Mingus (1963)
2007: Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart (1968)
2006: Rock Bottom - Robert Wyatt (1974)
2005: A Love Supreme - John Coltrane (1964)
2004: Kid A - Radiohead (2000)
2003: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Wilco (2002)
2002: In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel (1998)
2001: Astral Weeks - Van Morrison (1968)
2000: Symphony No. 9 in D Minor - Ludwig van Beethoven (1824)
1999: Violin Partita No. 2 in D Minor - J.S. Bach (1723)
1998: OK Computer - Radiohead (1997)
1997: The Bends - Radiohead (1995)
1996: 2001: A Space Odyssey - Stanley Kubrick (1968)
1995: Throwing Copper - Live (1995)

TOP 50 WORKS OF ART OF THE YEAR (2019)
1. Rock Bottom - Robert Wyatt (1974)
2. The Doors - The Doors (1966)
3. Sistine Chapel (Ceiling & The Last Judgement) - Michelangelo Buonarroti (1512; 1541)
4. Ys - Joanna Newsom (2006)
5. Piano Sonata No. 32 in C Minor - Ludwig van Beethoven (1822)
6. Symphony No. 9 in D Major - Gustav Mahler (1910)
7. Blonde On Blonde - Bob Dylan (1966)
8. The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground (1966)
9. Das Lied von der Erde - Gustav Mahler (1909)
10. String Quintet in C Major - Franz Schubert (1828)
11. Mass in B Minor - Johann Sebastian Bach (1749)
12. Symphony No. 9 in C Major "The Great" - Franz Schubert (1826)
13. Symphony No. 5 - Gustav Mahler (1902)
14. Requiem - Guisseppe Verdi (1874)
15. Symphony No. 9 in D Minor "Choral" - Ludwig van Beethoven (1824)
16. Down Colorful Hill - Red House Painters (1992)
17. Symphony No. 5 in C Minor - Ludwig van Beethoven (1808)
18. Elektra - Richard Strauss (1909)
19. Don Giovanni - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1787)
20. Symphony No. 41 in C Major - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1788)
21. Dreamtime Return - Steve Roach (1988)
22. Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix (1968)
23. Pulp Fiction - Quentin Tarantino (1994)
24. Piano Sonata No. 29 in B-flat Major "Hammerklavier" - Ludwig van Beethoven (1818)
25. Symphony No. 3 in E-flat Major "Eroica" - Ludwig van Beethoven (1804)
26. Winterreise - Franz Schubert (1828)
27. Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart (1969)
28. The Blue Angel - Josef Von Sternberg (1930)
29. M - Fritz Lang (1931)
30. Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morissette (1995)
31. Desertshore - Nico (1970)
32. Pelléas et Mélisande - Claude Debussy (1898)
33. Peter Grimes - Benjamin Britten (1945)
34. Variations in Dream-time - Anthony Davis (1982)
35. Symphony No. 5 in E Minor - Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1888)
36. The Days of Wine & Roses - Dream Syndicate (1982)
37. Sonata in G minor for Piano and Cello, Op. 19 - Sergei Rachmaninoff (1901)
38. Exile On Main Street - The Rolling Stones (1972)
39. Loveless - My Bloody Valentine (1991)
40. Glagolitic Mass - Leos Janacek (1926)
41. Symphony No. 8 in G major - Antonin Dvorak (1889)
42. Quartet for the End of Time - Olivier Messiaen (1941)
43. Fidelio - Ludwig van Beethoven (1805; revised 1806-1814)
44. Dimension Gate - Aurora (1994)
45. Master Of Puppets - Metallica (1986)
46. Post to Wire - Heather Duby (1999)
47. Frigid Stars - Codeine (1990)
48. Hejira - Joni Mitchell (1976)
49. Astral Weeks - Van Morrison (1968)
50. Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta - Bela Bartok (1936)

TOP 50 WORKS OF ART OF THE DECADE (2010-2019)
1. Sistine Chapel (Ceiling & The Last Judgement) - Michelangelo Buonarroti (1512; 1541)
2. Symphony No. 9 in D Major - Gustav Mahler (1910)
3. Symphony No. 9 in D Minor "Choral" - Ludwig van Beethoven (1824)
4. Rock Bottom - Robert Wyatt (1974)
5. The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground (1967)
6. Citizen Kane - Orson Welles (1941)
7. The Doors - The Doors (1967)
8. Brazil - Terry Gilliam (1985)
9. Peasants' War Panorama - Werner Tubke (1987)
10. The Garden of Earthly Delights - Hieronymus Bosch (circa 1500)
11. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel (1998)
12. Ys - Joanna Newsom (2006)
13. Symphony No. 9 in C Major "The Great" - Franz Schubert (1826)
14. Requiem - Guisseppe Verdi (1874)
15. Down Colorful Hill - Red House Painters (1992)
16. Blonde On Blonde - Bob Dylan (1966)
17. Piano Sonata No. 32 in C Minor - Ludwig van Beethoven (1822)
18. Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band (1969)
19. Symphony No. 15 in A Major - Dmitri Shostakovich (1971)
20. Symphony No. 4 in E Minor - Johannes Brahms (1884)
21. Mass in B Minor - Johann Sebastian Bach (1749)
22. Touch of Evil - Orson Welles (1958)
23. Nostalghia - Andrei Tarkovsky (1983)
24. Faust - Faust (1971)
25. Symphony No. 5 in C Minor - Ludwig van Beethoven (1808)
26. Glagolitic Mass - Leos Janacek (1926)
27. The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady - Charles Mingus (1963)
28. A Love Supreme - John Coltrane (1964)
29. Metropolis - Fritz Lang (1927)
30. Symphony No. 9 in E Minor "From the New World" - Antonin Dvorak (1893)
31. Symphony No. 41 in C Major - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1788)
32. Symphony No. 3 in F Major - Johannes Brahms (1883)
33. Symphony No. 3 in E-flat Major "Eroica" - Ludwig van Beethoven (1804)
34. Have One On Me - Joanna Newsom (2010)
35. The River - Bruce Springsteen (1980)
36. Even the Sounds Shine - Myra Melford (1994)
37. Variations in Dream-time - Anthony Davis (1982)
38. Lady of the Mirrors - Anthony Davis (1980)
39. Improvisie - Paul Bley (1971)
40. Philosophy, Medicine & Jurisprudence - Gustav Klimt (1907) [University of Vienna Ceiling Paintings; Destroyed in 1945]
41. The Reminiscences of Judge Schulze (Parts II, III, & VII) - Werner Tubke (1967)
42. The Beethoven Frieze - Gustav Klimt (1902)
43. Vertigo - Alfred Hitchcock (1958)
44. Astral Weeks - Van Morrison (1968)
45. Werckmeister Harmonies - Bela Tarr (2000)
46. Afternoon of a Georgia Faun - Marion Brown (1970)
47. Ptah, the El Daoud - Alice Coltrane (1970)
48. Pulp Fiction - Quentin Tarantino (1994)
49. Taxi Driver - Martin Scorsese (1976)
50. Hex - Bark Psychosis (1994)[/i]

Last edited by AfterHours on 06/12/2023 04:48; edited 40 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 01/12/2020 23:54
  • Post subject:
NOTE: Weekly (or otherwise) lists of these "Top 10+" lists will now be added, each separately from the last, as new posts in this thread, instead of all collected on the 1st post first page. The main reason for this is that over the span of months or a year-plus that first post gets very long and tends to load more and more slowly. This new format should fix that.

So, the general sequence of the thread will tend to go: (1) Top 10+ list; (2) Any replies/comments/suggestions + often a "recent updates" post such as this one; (3) Next week or week(s) Top 10+ list; (4) Any replies/comments/suggestions + often a "recent updates" post such as this one ... Etc

Note that Ill often do multiple weeks consecutively as "one" Top 10+ entry when I either dont have enough updates for it to seem worthy of an update or I am very focused on a particular genre or Art and making several ratings/rankings changes to it, so I'll want to keep going and keep those all organized in one place (which sometimes takes 2, 3 or several weeks to get to a good point on).

These series of Top 10+ lists/updates are kind of the "Mother Brain" for all my lists. For those interested, it makes it easier to know what's being worked on and then one can just jump to those instead of searching and clicking on all of them and trying to figure out which have been most recently updated.

(However, no promises that Ill catch everything I listened to or watched or updated the rating/ranking of, in any given week or series of weeks. I can be notorious for leaving some out, especially during my busiest periods...)

-------------------

Recent ratings/rankings updates as follows...

Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan (1965) 8.2/10 to 8.3/10
Let My Children Hear Music - Charles Mingus (1972) 8.3/10 to 8.2/10
Pavilion of Dreams - Harold Budd (1978) 8.3/10 to 7.9/10

All Bitches Die - Lingua Ignota (2017) 7.6/10
Let the Evil of His Own Lips Cover Him - Lingua Ignota (2017) ...NOT RATED YET ... but probably at least 7.5+ & excellent chance at 7.8+ with further listens
History of Heat - Sadaf (2019) ...NOT RATED YET ... but probably at least 7.3+ & solid chance at 7.8+ with further listens

GREATEST ALBUMS OF ALL TIME (ROCK & JAZZ): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=15276

--------------------

The Third Man - Carol Reed (1949) 7.3/10 to 7.6/10
Miracle in Milan - Vittorio de Sica (1951) 8.1/10 to 7.6/10
Suspicion - Alfred Hitchcock (1941) Not Rated to 7.3/10
Laura - Otto Preminger (1944) 7.3/10 to 7.0/10
A Better Tomorrow - John Woo (1986) Not Rated to 7.0/10

NEWLY ASSIMILATED FILMS - RATED:
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Quentin Tarantino (2019) 7.1/10
Odd Man Out - Carol Reed (1947) 7.0/10

GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME (Mid-Revision): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=15558
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 01/14/2020 00:28
  • Post subject:

NOTE: This is a log of my favorite works of music, cinema and/or visual art for the given week. The rankings here will not necessarily parallel my overall rankings, as these are only what I favored for the given week. To qualify for inclusion, the work must be rated 6.8/10 or better (or at least was at some point during the week). This log will also include updated ratings for my various lists (below the "Top 10+" section)

Below that, there will be a running listing of my "Top 50 Works of Art of the Year". This is simply a log of my favorite art over the course of this whole year, whether old or new to me. This list is cumulative, week-to-week, until its final standings at the end of the year.

Recommendations and suggestions welcome. For my criteria, go here: http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...hp?t=15503

Bold = Newly added

Top 10+ Music, Movies, and Visual Art of the Week(s): 1-13-2020 - 1-26-2020
Appetite For Destruction - Guns N' Roses (1988)
Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morissette (1995)
Down Colorful Hill - Red House Painters (1992)
Happy Sad - Tim Buckley (1968)
Rock Bottom - Robert Wyatt (1974)
What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? - Robert Aldrich (1962)
Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix (1968)
Da Capo - Love (1966)
Strange Days - The Doors (1967)
Radio Ethiopia - Patti Smith (1976)
Mean Streets - Martin Scorsese (1973)
Blue - Joni Mitchell (1971)
Hejira - Joni Mitchell (1976)
Amsterdam - The Lofty Pillars (2001)
Harvest - Neil Young (1972)
Channel the Spirits - The Comet is Coming (2016) ... NOT RATED YET ... but probably at least 7.0+ & excellent chance at 7.3+ with further listens
The Clash - The Clash (1977)
Laughing Stock - Talk Talk (1991)
London Calling - The Clash (1979)
Five Leaves Left - Nick Drake (1969)
Implosions - Stephan Micus (1977)
I Could Live in Hope - Low (1994)
Dead Magic - Anna Von Hausswolff (2018) ...Like her other albums (that I also initially rated pretty high some years ago) this one seems to have some diminishing returns on each listen: 7.6 --> 7.5 --> 7.3 and now 6.8 ... Still quite a bit above Scaruffi's 5/10
Lil Peep Part One - Lil Peep (2015) ... NOT RATED YET ... but seems like 7 maybe 6.5ish so far
Horses - Patti Smith (1975)
Forever Changes - Love (1967)

Twin Infinitives - Royal Trux (1990) 9.1/10 to 9.0/10
Lorca - Tim Buckley (1969) 9.0/10 to 8.9/10
Irrlicht - Klaus Schulze (1972) 9.0/10 to 8.9/10
Images and Words - Dream Theater (1992) 7.9/10 to 7.8/10
I Could Live in Hope - Low (1994) 7.9/10 to 7.8/10
Dead Magic - Anna Von Hausswolff (2018) 7.3/10 to 6.8/10

Last edited by AfterHours on 01/28/2020 06:39; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 01/27/2020 21:39
  • Post subject:

NOTE: This is a log of my favorite works of music, cinema and/or visual art for the given week. The rankings here will not necessarily parallel my overall rankings, as these are only what I favored for the given week. To qualify for inclusion, the work must be rated 6.8/10 or better (or at least was at some point during the week). This log will also include updated ratings for my various lists (below the "Top 10+" section)

Bold = Newly added

Top 10+ Music, Movies, and Visual Art of the Week(s): 1-27-2020 - 2-9-2020
Let the Evil of His Own Lips Cover Him - Lingua Ignota (2017)
Half Mute - Tuxedomoon (1979)
The Phantom of Liberty - Luis Bunuel (1974)
Lorca - Tim Buckley (1969)
Blue Afternoon - Tim Buckley (1969)
Piano Sonata No. 32 in C Minor - Ludwig van Beethoven (1822)
Marquee Moon - Television (1977)
L'apocalypse des Animaux - Vangelis (1970)
Heaven and Hell - Vangelis (1975)
Another Green World - Brian Eno (1975)
There's a Star Above the Manger Tonight - Red Red Meat (1997)
The Doors - The Doors (1966)
Winterreise - Franz Schubert (1828)
Y - The Pop Group (1979)
Goodbye and Hello - Tim Buckley (1967)
Ecology of Souls - Kenneth Newby (1993)
Music for Airports - Brian Eno (1978)
Radio Gnome Invisible Part 1: Flying Teapot - Gong (1973)
For How Much Longer Do We Tolerate Mass Murder? - The Pop Group (1980)
Before and After Science - Brian Eno (1977)
History of Heat - Sadaf (2019)
Master Of Puppets - Metallica (1986)
White Music – XTC (1977)
Sky Music Mountain Music - Eberhard Schoener (1984)
The Stooges - The Stooges (1969)
Barrett - Syd Barrett (1970)
Metropolitan Suite - Synergy (1985)
Meditation - Eberhard Schoener (1973)
Amnesiac - Radiohead (2000)
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses (1989)
Pure Heroine - Lorde (2013)
Psychic...Powerless...Another Man's Sac - Butthole Surfers (1984)
Rock For Light - Bad Brains (1983)

Aviary - Julia Holter (2018) 7.9/10 to 8.0/10
Half Mute - Tuxedomoon (1979) 7.8/10 to 7.9/10
Master Of Puppets - Metallica (1986) 8.1/10 to 7.9/10
Everybody Knows This is Nowhere - Neil Young (1969) 7.8/10 to 7.9/10
There's a Star Above the Manger Tonight - Red Red Meat (1997) 7.9/10 to 7.8/10
(1989)
Before and After Science - Brian Eno (1977) 7.9/10 to 7.5/10
Psychic...Powerless...Another Man's Sac - Butthole Surfers (1984) 7.9/10 to 7.5/10
L'apocalypse des Animaux - Vangelis (1970) Not Rated to 7.4/10
Barrett - Syd Barrett (1970) 7.9/10 to 7.4/10
Heaven and Hell - Vangelis (1975) Not Rated to 7.3/10
Sky Music Mountain Music - Eberhard Schoener (1984) Not Rated to 7.2/10
Metropolitan Suite - Synergy (1985) Not Rated to 7.1/10
Meditation - Eberhard Schoener (1973) Not Rated to 7.1/10
Rock For Light - Bad Brains (1983) 7.8/10 to 6.9/10

Let the Evil of His Own Lips Cover Him - Lingua Ignota (2017) 8.0/10
History of Heat - Sadaf (2019) 7.4/10

The Phantom of Liberty - Luis Bunuel (1974) Not Rated to 7.7/10

TOP 50 WORKS OF ART OF THE YEAR (2020)
Appetite For Destruction - Guns N' Roses (1988)
Doors - The Doors (1966)
Blonde On Blonde - Bob Dylan (1966)
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan (1965)
The Third Man - Carol Reed (1949)
Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morissette (1995)
Down Colorful Hill - Red House Painters (1992)
Happy Sad - Tim Buckley (1968)
A Genuine Tong Funeral - Carla Bley/Gary Burton (1967)
Volunteers - Jefferson Airplane (1969)
We Insist! Freedom Now Suite - Max Roach (1960)
All Bitches Die - Lingua Ignota (2017)
Let the Evil of His Own Lips Cover Him - Lingua Ignota (2017)
What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? - Robert Aldrich (1962)
Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix (1968)
Da Capo - Love (1966)
Strange Days - The Doors (1967)
Radio Ethiopia - Patti Smith (1976)
Mean Streets - Martin Scorsese (1973)
Blue - Joni Mitchell (1971)
Hejira - Joni Mitchell (1976)
Sunset Boulevard - Billy Wilder (1950)
History of Heat - Sadaf (2019)
Suspicion - Alfred Hitchcock (1941)
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Quentin Tarantino (2019)
Are You Experienced? - Jimi Hendrix (1967)
Miracle in Milan - Vittorio de Sica (1951)
Pavilion of Dreams - Harold Budd (1978)
Amsterdam - The Lofty Pillars (2001)
Harvest - Neil Young (1972)
Channel the Spirits - The Comet is Coming (2016)
The Clash - The Clash (1977)
Laughing Stock - Talk Talk (1991)
London Calling - The Clash (1979)
Implosions - Stephan Micus (1977)
I Could Live in Hope - Low (1994)
Let My Children Hear Music - Charles Mingus (1972)
Late For the Sky - Jackson Browne (1974)
Laura - Otto Preminger (1944)
Odd Man Out - Carol Reed (1947)
A Better Tomorrow - John Woo (1986)
Dead Magic - Anna Von Hausswolff (2018)
Lil Peep Part One - Lil Peep (2015)
Horses - Patti Smith (1975)
Forever Changes - Love (1967)

Last edited by AfterHours on 02/10/2020 16:51; edited 9 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 02/02/2020 13:11
  • Post subject:
Have you had a chance to listen to any Billie Eilish yet, especially the EP Don't Smile at Me and her debut album (rated 7 and 6.5 respectively by Scaruffi, I personally consider both solid 6.5's)? Worthy heir to Pure Heroine-era Lorde, I think you'll like her stuff. She has a 7/10 album in her, you could probably piece together one using the best tracks of the EP and album. Right now I'd probably select the following for such an album:
Copycat
My Boy
Bellyache
Ocean Eyes
Bad Guy
Xanny
You Should See Me in a Crown
All the Good Girls Go to Hell
When the Party's Over
My Strange Addiction
Bury a Friend
Ilomilo
I Love You
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/02/2020 16:24
  • Post subject:
Facetious wrote:
Have you had a chance to listen to any Billie Eilish yet, especially the EP Don't Smile at Me and her debut album (rated 7 and 6.5 respectively by Scaruffi, I personally consider both solid 6.5's)? Worthy heir to Pure Heroine-era Lorde, I think you'll like her stuff. She has a 7/10 album in her, you could probably piece together one using the best tracks of the EP and album. Right now I'd probably select the following for such an album:
Copycat
My Boy
Bellyache
Ocean Eyes
Bad Guy
Xanny
You Should See Me in a Crown
All the Good Girls Go to Hell
When the Party's Over
My Strange Addiction
Bury a Friend
Ilomilo
I Love You

Thank you - I'd heard some of her stuff before but neither of those albums. Checking out the EP now. Lorde looms over the proceedings indeed. Nice to hear a mainstream pop artist with some depth and creativity in her. Most (from Beyonce to Miley Cyrus to Taylor Swift to CRJ) tend to be the emotional/conceptual depth equivalent of one's "life and relationships" expressed via Twitter feed or an Instagram page -- through the superficiality of media culture (or not too much better than that on their best occasions). Ellish at least tries to turn this on its ear and is pretty successful. I would probably agree with a 6.5 for the EP.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 02/05/2020 17:40
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Thank you - I'd heard some of her stuff before but neither of those albums. Checking out the EP now. Lorde looms over the proceedings indeed. Nice to hear a mainstream pop artist with some depth and creativity in her. Most (from Beyonce to Miley Cyrus to Taylor Swift to CRJ) tend to be the emotional/conceptual depth equivalent of one's "life and relationships" expressed via Twitter feed or an Instagram page -- through the superficiality of media culture (or not too much better than that on their best occasions). Ellish at least tries to turn this on its ear and is pretty successful. I would probably agree with a 6.5 for the EP.

Not sure about Miley Cyrus but I think you're slightly underselling the others. While I think Kacey Musgraves beats Taylor Swift generally, I've been realising that there's more to the latter's work than meets the eye initially, and the "Twitter feed" appeal is not entirely superficial, that is, I think there's a place for such music and Swift probably does the storytelling better, and has more interesting production, than others. More on this when I've properly relistened to a few albums and picked out specific details. And CRJ's work is highly memorable at its best, the first two tracks of Emotion have to be among the best mainstream pop songs of the decade, or at least the year.

Still, Eilish is obviously better. The EP is good but the album has higher highs, particularly Bury a Friend which is quite unique for a hit. Let me know what you think of the album when you try it and what songs stood out overall from both works.

By the way, have you tried the 40th anniversary mono mix of Ramones' self-titled? Far better than the stereo mix to my ears, definitely reinvigorates an already great album.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/05/2020 18:24
  • Post subject:
Facetious wrote:
Not sure about Miley Cyrus but I think you're slightly underselling the others. While I think Kacey Musgraves beats Taylor Swift generally, I've been realising that there's more to the latter's work than meets the eye initially, and the "Twitter feed" appeal is not entirely superficial, that is, I think there's a place for such music and Swift probably does the storytelling better, and has more interesting production, than others. More on this when I've properly relistened to a few albums and picked out specific details. And CRJ's work is highly memorable at its best, the first two tracks of Emotion have to be among the best mainstream pop songs of the decade, or at least the year.

Still, Eilish is obviously better. The EP is good but the album has higher highs, particularly Bury a Friend which is quite unique for a hit. Let me know what you think of the album when you try it and what songs stood out overall from both works.

By the way, have you tried the 40th anniversary mono mix of Ramones' self-titled? Far better than the stereo mix to my ears, definitely reinvigorates an already great album.

I would agree that there are many interesting ways one could make music that could be likened to a twitter/instagram feed (or equivalent superficial associations) but in such a way as to erect it to a more creative, visionary art that really says something about it. This goes back to poses and masks of Madonna and Prince all the way up to the epic drama, theatrics & confessionals of Original Sin. Today one might say Clarence Clarity is carrying some sort of torch though Im mixed on just how good he is. In a much more artistic sense one might say the montages of The Vampire Rodents or the cultural satire/montage of Zappa, or in a lesser sense, They Might Be Giants or the often playful Pop Art of The Beatles late career.

I do agree that all those mainstream pop artists (CRJ, Swift etc) have their interesting moments. I actually think her hit single Call Me Maybe is pretty damn good, and a few songs from Emotion are pretty good (I like the first track ... 2 is solid ... best might be Gimme Love and maybe the chorus of Your Type), Miley Cyrus (Party in the USA particularly the chorus), Taylor Swift (1989 album has potential)... Etc ... This doesnt mean Id rate them above maybe a 5/10 which -- remember -- basically means "historically mediocre" (not "bad").

Thanks for the Ramones rec & I will check out the other Ellish at some point. So far I think the EP is 6.0-6.5
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 02/05/2020 20:17
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
I would agree that there are many interesting ways one could make music that could be likened to a twitter/instagram feed (or equivalent superficial associations) but in such a way as to erect it to a more creative, visionary art that really says something about it. This goes back to poses and masks of Madonna and Prince all the way up to the epic drama, theatrics & confessionals of Original Sin. Today one might say Clarence Clarity is carrying some sort of torch though Im mixed on just how good he is. In a much more artistic sense one might say the montages of The Vampire Rodents or the cultural satire/montage of Zappa, or in a lesser sense, They Might Be Giants or the often playful Pop Art of The Beatles late career.

I do agree that all those mainstream pop artists (CRJ, Swift etc) have their interesting moments. I actually think her hit single Call Me Maybe is pretty damn good, and a few songs from Emotion are pretty good (I like the first track ... 2 is solid ... best might be Gimme Love and maybe the chorus of Your Type), Miley Cyrus (Party in the USA particularly the chorus), Taylor Swift (1989 album has potential)... Etc ... This doesnt mean Id rate them above maybe a 5/10 which -- remember -- basically means "historically mediocre" (not "bad").

Thanks for the Ramones rec & I will check out the other Ellish at some point. So far I think the EP is 6.0-6.5

Clarence Clarity is great, I haven't finished both his albums actually but what I've heard was quite promising. I'd say probable 7 or low 7.5 for both albums. Btw, speaking of mainstream pop, have you tried The Weeknd's Trilogy that collects his early mixtapes? Scaruffi likes the first mixtape (6.5) and hasn't rated the others but his reviews are fairly positive. I think the compilation is a definite 7 or above as a whole and a singular achievement in 2010s pop/R&B.

Call Me Maybe is great! As far as Taylor Swift goes, 1989 has some good songs but I think the most interesting for you would be Red. The album is quite uneven and overlong but at its best has pretty good production and songwriting. I'd recommend listening to State of Grace (arena rock in the tradition of U2, good use of space), I Knew You Were Trouble (note how different genres are mashed together), All Too Well (the careful addition of details throughout, both lyrically and sonically, leading to multiple explosive climaxes), and Sad Beautiful Tragic (recalls slowcore/dream pop; another track of this style that recalls Mazzy Star strongly is last year's Lover). But it's true that for every good song there's a mediocre one so I see what you mean. My point was that these stars, at least CRJ and Swift, and Beyonce to some extent, clearly have some talent and cannot be dismissed that easily. The biggest issue with them is probably quality control.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/05/2020 23:07
  • Post subject:
Facetious wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

Clarence Clarity is great, I haven't finished both his albums actually but what I've heard was quite promising. I'd say probable 7 or low 7.5 for both albums. Btw, speaking of mainstream pop, have you tried The Weeknd's Trilogy that collects his early mixtapes? Scaruffi likes the first mixtape (6.5) and hasn't rated the others but his reviews are fairly positive. I think the compilation is a definite 7 or above as a whole and a singular achievement in 2010s pop/R&B.

Call Me Maybe is great! As far as Taylor Swift goes, 1989 has some good songs but I think the most interesting for you would be Red. The album is quite uneven and overlong but at its best has pretty good production and songwriting. I'd recommend listening to State of Grace (arena rock in the tradition of U2, good use of space), I Knew You Were Trouble (note how different genres are mashed together), All Too Well (the careful addition of details throughout, both lyrically and sonically, leading to multiple explosive climaxes), and Sad Beautiful Tragic (recalls slowcore/dream pop; another track of this style that recalls Mazzy Star strongly is last year's Lover). But it's true that for every good song there's a mediocre one so I see what you mean. My point was that these stars, at least CRJ and Swift, and Beyonce to some extent, clearly have some talent and cannot be dismissed that easily. The biggest issue with them is probably quality control.

Yeah I think Clarity has a lot of potential (and possibly already realizing it) but so far I am mixed. No Now is the only one I've heard in full. It is quite impressive technically but (so far?) seems to have diminishing returns each listen -- though it is so congested with ideas/content that this could just as easily mean I am missing something key about it that would illuminate more depth and help it sustain its rating. Maybe Scaruffi will be of assistance whenever he gets around to rating and reviewing it. I revisited it earlier today and it sounded 6-6.5 this time, down from 7-7.5 first listen and 6.5-7 second listen. (It remains at 7/10 on my Genre list because I am not wholly convinced to downgrade it at this point)

Not sure if I've heard those Swift tracks or not as I don't keep track of the titles of her songs, but I've checked out quite a few of hers outside of 1989 (just not entire albums). I'll give Red a proper shot at some point.
  • Visit poster's website