2020 albums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2020 01:09
  • Post subject:
Hate to break it to you, but Ghosteen's 2019.
BozoTyrannus

Guyana

• Posted: 05/15/2020 09:56
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
Hate to break it to you, but Ghosteen's 2019.

Crumb buckets.

You see, this is how bad I am with 2020 so far.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2020 15:22
  • Post subject:
Checking the user lists helps a lot because BEA won't allow user lists to feature albums from other years. This year's been kind to hip hop and metal, but pop is taking a step forward this month, so check out the new Rap Ferreira, Fiona Apple, Charli XCX, Oranssi Pazuzu, Paysage D'Hiver and Against All Logic. The new Tame Impala isn't bad, either.

I'm checking out the new Charli XCX right now. It's pretty awesome. It's not quite as amazing as Pop 2, but it proves that Charli has evolved beyond simple radio poptimism and redefines pop. It proves Pop 2 wasn't a creative fluke.
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/16/2020 11:19
  • Post subject:

STARZ by Yung Lean

How I'm Feeling Now by Charli XCX

honestly i like a lot of the tracks on both of these albums but considering both of these artists are in my like top 10(?) artists of all time i am a little underwhelmed.

ppl lauding the charli for only taking 2 months to make in total should remember that pop 2 also only took a few months to write and record. it just feels a little half-baked and rushed to me unfortunately. had she not set such a tight release date that she ofc felt an obligation to stick to bc she is loyal to her fans, this could have been a much more fleshed out release. but enough of the negativity, cuz the songs that do hit here REALLY hit, lookin at u anthems & visions (also the singles and the opener r really great)

i don't have much to say about starz. it's a good album, it just doesn't do anything massively interesting for me. kinda cements that Gud is the only producer of the drain gang lot pushing the sound forward rly since the whitearmor/sherm production on here just kinda falls flat. compare it to gud's beats on bladee's exeter this year which were Strange and Fresh, or look to ecco2k's e from last year for a better comparison where gud absolutely soaks the synths in luscious reverb and glittery licks in the more tender moments (which starz obviously is aiming for) but the faster-paced songs in that album still have a strong element of kinesis to them. there is a lot of empty space in these beats and it just comes off as a little bit lazy unfortunately.
Shipyard

Netherlands

• Posted: 05/18/2020 21:13
  • Post subject:
Well i just joined this site an hour ago, so ill give an update of my albums i purchased this year so far

ooioo - Nijimusi
Algiers - There Is No Year
Mush - 3D Routine
The Cadilac Three - Country Fuzz
Swamp Dog - Sorry You Couldn't Make It
Circles Around The Sun - Circles Around The Sun
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/19/2020 20:30
  • Post subject:

Siftorde by Tidiane Thiam

There's been 10-15 noteworthy albums out of Africa this month, and I'd gladly post all of them, but I'm specifically hoping people don't miss out on Tidiane Thiam's Siftorde. It was recorded a couple years back but only released now. Very nice acoustic folk record with beautiful playing. Can't see why anyone wouldn't like it.

If anyone wants to check out the latest records from Sekuru Tute Chigamba, Bongeziwe Mabandla and Youssoupha Cissokho, I'd rec those too. Also, fans of Nihiloxica, they have a new full-length album coming out next month.

Also, there's this:

Happy Holidays by Peter Cat Recording Co.

Which is a rather short new record from Peter Cat Recording Co. Give-or-take it's similar to their 2019 album. May have just been some b-sides, but it's well worth a listen.
  • Visit poster's website
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 05/19/2020 20:43
  • Post subject:
What’s your source for mining all these African releases? They’re not exactly well publicized.

P.S. Did you ever listen to Les Dragons? I’m absolutely dying to hear someone else’s opinion of it (good or bad).
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/19/2020 21:19
  • Post subject:
Jameth wrote:
What’s your source for mining all these African releases? They’re not exactly well publicized.

P.S. Did you ever listen to Les Dragons? I’m absolutely dying to hear someone else’s opinion of it (good or bad).

Bandcamp. Some Discogs, but mostly Bandcamp. Just gotta do some digging. Bandcamp's been my #1 resource for at least 3-4 years now. For everything.

And I did! Probably 2-ish months ago? (maybe...). I literally hit play maybe an hour after you rec'ed it. I thought it was very good Smile. Lovely record. I think I posted my response in the 'what album' thread, but that most likely got buried within a second. I'll probably add it to some of my charts after a second listen. It definitely comes across as an album from the mid-90s, which is interesting too. I hope somebody comes along to remaster/rerelease it, especially if the Spotify upload is new. Most kora albums win me over on the instrument alone Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 05/19/2020 21:55
  • Post subject:

Paradise Lost isn't a very exciting band, but whenever they have new releases I'll get to them. Gothic metal's an interesting thing to get into sometimes.
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 05/20/2020 00:30
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Jameth wrote:

Bandcamp. Some Discogs, but mostly Bandcamp. Just gotta do some digging. Bandcamp's been my #1 resource for at least 3-4 years now. For everything.

And I did! Probably 2-ish months ago? (maybe...). I literally hit play maybe an hour after you rec'ed it. I thought it was very good Smile. Lovely record. I think I posted my response in the 'what album' thread, but that most likely got buried within a second. I'll probably add it to some of my charts after a second listen. It definitely comes across as an album from the mid-90s, which is interesting too. I hope somebody comes along to remaster/rerelease it, especially if the Spotify upload is new. Most kora albums win me over on the instrument alone Laughing

Awesome, glad you liked it. Cool

I found CD reissues of some other older albums released by that label on Discogs. Les Dragons isn't listed, but I did find this alternate cover on the label's Facebook page:

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/...e=5EE99C92

Seems to be part of a series of CD reissues that probably only saw release in France or nearby. I like the original artwork, though. There's a woman holding a kora (which is a damn rare sight), and I just find it charming, in general.

Sorry for derailing.