Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 06/19/2020 06:48
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
Gowi wrote:
ledaero wrote:

Punisher by Phoebe Bridgers

Phoebe dropped Punisher a day early. Anyone else listening to it? It's one of my favorites this year.

just usurped my #1 so yeah but i am nothing but predictable

Looks like we might have another big 2020 critical success.

BTW Alfredo is better than Bandana.

Phoebe Bridgers is one of our best singer-songwriters.

Alfredo is lower stakes than Bandana, perhaps more breezy and immediately enjoyable, and I think Al is a more versatile (and often just a better) producer than Madlib, but overall I think the latter is a stronger, more memorable statement.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 06/19/2020 06:52
  • Post subject:
Phoebe is going to have a bright future indeed.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/19/2020 16:11
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Alfredo is lower stakes than Bandana, perhaps more breezy and immediately enjoyable, and I think Al is a more versatile (and often just a better) producer than Madlib, but overall I think the latter is a stronger, more memorable statement.

Yep. Pinata still reigns supreme. I noticed the production too, and even though Bandana feels more creative than Alfredo, the latter seems more balanced where Bandana felt random.

By the way, I'm not impressed with Bob Dylan's Rough and Rowdy Ways, but it's still a lot better than the standards crap he's been doing for the last three or four albums. The album is exactly what I expected to the letter. The reviews are fantastic so far, but I think it's mostly because of the return to form.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/19/2020 21:02
  • Post subject:
Due to dull ignorance, I thought Bridgers was releasing a single called Punisher today. I had no clue it was an album. Woops. Given it one spin so far, and I'm looking forward to the next. I feel like I'm in the minority (or just not reading enough reviews), but surely Savior Complex is the standout? I feel like it's at least a couple steps above everything else. Fantastic songwriting.

And unlike Spyglass, I'm very impressed with the new Dylan. I'm not sure there's too many artists out there who have a 39th album landing this quality. Might even be his best since Blood On The Tracks, and that's a pretty hard album to surpass anyway. Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm almost hoping it's his last. It would be quite a way to finish off his career, particularly with a track based on an event circa the beginning of it. Seems fitting.

EDIT: Oh, but that album cover is absolute shit. Sorry Bob.
  • Visit poster's website
saltfish

• Posted: 06/20/2020 00:26
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
http://anothertimbre.bandcamp.com/album/let-pass-my-weary-guiltless-ghost
http://anothertimbre.bandcamp.com/album...-nellombra

Finally got around to the Skogen release and, as with everything from them, it's amazing. Moving slowly towards the others.

Also recently got around to this, highly recommended for anyone that has an itch for church organ

babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 06/20/2020 01:05
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Due to dull ignorance, I thought Bridgers was releasing a single called Punisher today. I had no clue it was an album. Woops. Given it one spin so far, and I'm looking forward to the next. I feel like I'm in the minority (or just not reading enough reviews), but surely Savior Complex is the standout? I feel like it's at least a couple steps above everything else. Fantastic songwriting.

Interestingly, for me Savior Complex is easily the weakest link on the album. Chinese Satellite, Moon Song, and I Know the End are my favorites.

I had pretty high expectations going in given that Stranger in the Alps is one of my favorites from the past decade, and after a few listens I like the album a lot but am a bit disappointed. I think I liked the more subdued, lethargic vibe on Stranger more than the songs with shinier production here, but I'm glad she's evolving as a songwriter. I Know the End was pretty unexpected honestly, and it really works. Excited to give it more listens because if I remember correctly Stranger took a while to really grow on me so I hope this one does too; her storytelling is so nuanced that it can sometimes take me a while to pick out the little details, which is what really made me fall in love with Stranger.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 06/20/2020 10:23
  • Post subject:
babyBlueSedan wrote:
Interestingly, for me Savior Complex is easily the weakest link on the album. Chinese Satellite, Moon Song, and I Know the End are my favorites.

I had pretty high expectations going in given that Stranger in the Alps is one of my favorites from the past decade, and after a few listens I like the album a lot but am a bit disappointed. I think I liked the more subdued, lethargic vibe on Stranger more than the songs with shinier production here, but I'm glad she's evolving as a songwriter. I Know the End was pretty unexpected honestly, and it really works. Excited to give it more listens because if I remember correctly Stranger took a while to really grow on me so I hope this one does too; her storytelling is so nuanced that it can sometimes take me a while to pick out the little details, which is what really made me fall in love with Stranger.

Yeah, I feel like I like the "rustic" approach on Stranger more, so this probably won't stay my #1 for long.
  • Visit poster's website
StefanR10
Music Genius

Germany

• Posted: 06/20/2020 10:33
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

And unlike Spyglass, I'm very impressed with the new Dylan. I'm not sure there's too many artists out there who have a 39th album landing this quality. Might even be his best since Blood On The Tracks, and that's a pretty hard album to surpass anyway. Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm almost hoping it's his last. It would be quite a way to finish off his career, particularly with a track based on an event circa the beginning of it. Seems fitting.

I think Bob Dylan should finish his career when he will he makes good music.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 06/20/2020 12:33
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Might even be his best since Blood On The Tracks, and that's a pretty hard album to surpass anyway.
Better than Desire and Time Out Of Mind? I find it hard to believe, but I guess I'll have to give it a go.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/20/2020 13:48
  • Post subject:
The new Bob Dylan got better by the end, but I felt that the charm of its variety wore off after a while and that the lyrics were the only thing incredible about it. But I enjoyed Dylan's voice, so maybe that in itself is incredible. That's the first album where I enjoyed his voice since Nashville Skyline.

Right now I give it a 7.5, but the hype tells me to check it out again.