Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/20/2020 14:43
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Hayden wrote:
Might even be his best since Blood On The Tracks, and that's a pretty hard album to surpass anyway.
Better than Desire and Time Out Of Mind? I find it hard to believe, but I guess I'll have to give it a go.

I'd double down and say yes.

Quote:
Interestingly, for me Savior Complex is easily the weakest link on the album.

Maybe that's why I'm not seeing people say that elsewhere Sad I think it's a great track. Maybe listen to it as a standalone? I Know The End is also a fav though.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 06/20/2020 18:17
  • Post subject:
uh yeah this isn't better than Desire, not by a long shot
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 06/20/2020 18:40
  • Post subject:
I don't think Savior Complex is bad by any means. Just listened to it again, and I think my problem is that it's very much more direct than the other songs. Bridgers has always been very direct, describing specific moments and conversations, but this one kind of jumps right to the point instead of building up a story by throwing out related images / words. The arrangement is very nice though, as much as I do prefer her more stripped down stuff the production on this one does elevate it.

Not sure if I'll give Dylan's album a listen. I listened to Murder Most Foul again last night and if there's any word I can come up with to describe it, it's "fascinating." I'm not sure if it's good or bad. It's just a fascinating song. The production is fantastic and doesn't make it feel nearly 16 minutes long, but the lyrics are.... Well, Desolation Row has long been one of my least favorite Dylan songs because of all the name dropping, and this is pretty similar. But the way Dylan uses all those names to kind of conjure up a picture of a certain moment in time, held together by occasional references back to JFK, somehow works. It's gotten a lot of Kozelek comparisons, but the Koz never wrote a song that lush and aimless. Yet the aimlessness makes it better. Might give the whole thing a listen eventually, it's mostly the length that's stopping me. I've also never heard a Dylan album past Desire and part of me feels like I should listen to some of his 80s / 90s work first.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 06/20/2020 21:07
  • Post subject:
I loved the new Dylan album. Wouldn't put it ahead of Desire, but I'd say it's easily his best since Modern Times and is probably about on par with Modern Times. I'd still have it below stuff like Nashville Skyline, Oh Mercy, and Time Out of Mind, but it's definitely one of the best albums he's done in a long time

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/20/2020 23:17
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
uh yeah this isn't better than Desire, not by a long shot

I'm glad we're definitely on the same page of something other than power metal. Desire is top 5 for Dylan, and Rough and Rowdy Ways isn't even top 20.

I am now going to "ass" you about your power metal chart again. I apologize but I'm very eager to see what the only other power metal "buff" here has to say about it.
ASOARE

Romania

• Posted: 06/21/2020 08:12
  • Post subject:
I like this album:

City Of Love by Deacon BlueI like this album:
  • Visit poster's website
ledaero

United States

• Posted: 06/22/2020 07:33
  • Post subject:
babyBlueSedan wrote:
I had pretty high expectations going in given that Stranger in the Alps is one of my favorites from the past decade, and after a few listens I like the album a lot but am a bit disappointed. I think I liked the more subdued, lethargic vibe on Stranger more than the songs with shinier production here, but I'm glad she's evolving as a songwriter. I Know the End was pretty unexpected honestly, and it really works. Excited to give it more listens because if I remember correctly Stranger took a while to really grow on me so I hope this one does too; her storytelling is so nuanced that it can sometimes take me a while to pick out the little details, which is what really made me fall in love with Stranger.

The more I've spun Punisher over the past few days, the more I've fallen in love with it. The album feels like a reflection on haunted memories and how she has grown to where she is as a person, examining the shit she has gone through to be where she wants in life. Garden Song is a perfect opening imo, sets up the entire album beautifully and it's a stunning song. "The doctor put her hands over my liver, she told me my resentment's getting smaller." I mean, who writes like that? Her lyrics are brilliant, she's one of the smartest writers in years. I Know The End is a big standout for me, particularly in how she pulls lyrical themes from the rest of the album to compile the initial verses. Makes for an incredible catharsis when listening to the album front-to-back.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 06/22/2020 09:47
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
I'm glad we're definitely on the same page of something other than power metal. Desire is top 5 for Dylan, and Rough and Rowdy Ways isn't even top 20.

I am now going to "ass" you about your power metal chart again. I apologize but I'm very eager to see what the only other power metal "buff" here has to say about it.

It is unironically on my shortlist of things to do after fixing my Top 100 overall and doing some soft updates.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 06/22/2020 14:10
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:

I also miss Gowi's power metal chart cause I was using it for recs very frequently

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/22/2020 14:10
  • Post subject:
I was wondering why that chart was private.