View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 06/22/2020 14:37
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Spyglass wrote:

I am now going to "ass" you about your power metal chart again. I apologize but I'm very eager to see what the only other power metal "buff" here has to say about it.

I also miss Gowi's power metal chart cause I was using it for recs very frequently

bro you miss all of metal charts lmao
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 06/22/2020 18:49
  • Post subject:
Concerning the new Dylan, after one listen I found it pretty good and above my expectations considering his age and the last couple of albums. I can see it being a solid 2nd tier Dylan which is much better than it sounds considering the 1st tier Dylan is some of the best music ever. However, I don't think it's gonna be quite on the level of Desire and Time Out Of Mind - the albums mentioned here in this topic. Both of those are among the lower section of 1st tier Dylan for me.

So yeah, not top 5 Dylan, probably not top 10, but could see it making top 15.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2020 11:15
  • Post subject:
Deforrest Brown, Jr. has been attacking the 400+ years of America's white supremacy for as long as I can remember seeing him speak online, and in February he started work on his album as Speaker Music, Black Nationalist Sonic Weaponry. I've seen it referred to as very timely, but I think that is the wrong framing because that makes it seem tied to the current events, but this is music about an incredibly deep pain that has been relevant since before America was more than a colony. It's simply easier to recognize the importance of this music right now, but the importance would be there regardless of whether white people were finally able to begin to recognize the cruelty of white supremacy. If you purchase this album you get a long pdf of poetry and essays from various contributors, and that alone makes it a worthwhile purchase but even if you just hear the music, it is an incredible experience. The first track uses a jaw-dropping vocal performance from a young poet to explicitly communicate, and then the rest of the album finds ways to elaborate the feelings mostly on a purely musical level. If I could only get you to listen to one album with your full attention, it would be this

http://speakermusic.bandcamp.com/album/...c-weaponry

Tho I will say if you're going to just stream it, use a streaming service besides Bandcamp, it's on the major ones (this album is released by Planet Mu). You will want this to be gapless, the flow of the album is very important and there are a lot of seamless transitions between tracks that you need to experience in that fashion.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/25/2020 18:55
  • Post subject:

YEEESSS! I didn't know there was a new Cro-Mags! It's just as awesome as ever. It's monotonous, but it's Cro-Mags. Their aggression balances that out. This is way to much fun for me and I wanna dance do fucking air guitar on a table with a giant mug of beer.
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/27/2020 18:35
  • Post subject:
I'm going to take a little time away from my metal binge to go through some releases of 2020 that I overlooked, specifically one released by acts I've heard before.

Daniel Romano - Visions of the Higher Dream
Gordon Lightfoot - Solo
The Mountain Goats - Songs For Pierre Chauvin
Norah Jones - Pick Me Up Off the Floor
Pearl Jam - Gigaton

I might not get through all of them today, but still I need to get through at least a couple of them. I figure this would eb the best way to stop focusing so much on metal because the second half of my 2020 chart is loaded with metal and none of these albums are supposed to be particularly amazing, so I can make the last half seem less monotonous.
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 06/28/2020 09:31
  • Post subject:
Had no idea Hum just put out a new album. Can't say some new Wrens will be totally unexpected come autumn
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/28/2020 23:30
  • Post subject:

Link

What a track...
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 06/29/2020 19:56
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Link

What a track...
Regardless of what you believe in, it's a powerful statement. The best protest song outside of RTJ I've heard this year.

On a more peaceful note, the new Xerrox by Alva Noto is a blast. If you're craving for some glitchy, droney and stunning ambient, look no further.

Xerrox Vol. 4 by Alva Noto

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2020 00:27
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:

On a more peaceful note, the new Xerrox by Alva Noto is a blast. If you're craving for some glitchy, droney and stunning ambient, look no further.

Xerrox Vol. 4 by Alva Noto

Will checked that out ASAP. Want to mention Daniel Avery released another project a few days ago called Love+Light. Trying it right now.
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2020 14:12
  • Post subject:
Sufjan just announced a new album out in September. Seems to be a more "traditional" Sufjan album than the one he released earlier this year. The lead single is the 12 minute long closing track and it's out this Friday. Super excited to see if this is a return to his Age of Adz sound or if it's something new entirely. Don't think I'll be able to sleep until Friday.

Also tracks called "Landslide," "Run Away With Me," and "Video Game" have me curious about potential covers or interpolations.