Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/09/2020 16:47
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Totally forgot Velvet Buzzsaw even existed. Must've disappeared from theaters fast. Adore Nightcrawler, so got to check it out. Also, greatest title of the year? Decade?

I really liked the horror beats of Velvet Buzzsaw. Really underrated gem by my measure.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/09/2020 19:54
  • Post subject:

Shouting out Mati Diop's Atlantiques.

Throwing it in here not only because it's one of my favourites of the year, but also because it's on Netflix and not terribly long. One of 2019's best. Won the Grand Prix at Cannes and was Senegal's shortlisted Oscar submission, if anyone needs any pushing. Hoping people don't miss out on it.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 03/10/2020 04:08
  • Post subject:
Near the top of my to-watch list.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/15/2020 15:20
  • Post subject:
Any bingewatching under lockdown? Anxious
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 03/15/2020 19:38
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Surprisingly no, not yet at least. I completed my Movie Binge 2019 back around the Oscars. I'm gonna see Portrait of a Lady on Fire in theaters next week. Anyway, I've actually been using this time so far to catch up with friends/family. I've spent several hours on the phone in the past two days, talking to folks I haven't spoken to in months/years. Why not? Now's the perfect time. Also been catching up on comedy specials (are they allowed in this poll like they were last year Wink?). I'm sure sooner or later, I'll direct more attention to cinema with all this time to kill. But for now, I'm about to head out on a hike. Under the circumstances, I think it's a good way to get outside, get some fresh air, get some exercise...and at the same time keep some distance from potentially-contagious people, haha.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 03/16/2020 15:16
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Trying to balance a lot of homeworks and projects with NBA2k and movies/music. I still have 12 days until the deadline, hoping I'll end up with 25-30ish movies in the end Very Happy

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 03/16/2020 15:18
  • Post subject:
Also every low budget movie I've tried in the last few days was mediocre at best. Think I'll just watch all the big hitters which I missed...

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/16/2020 16:54
  • Post subject:
I'm not sold on the idea of hosting two polls at once, but I might start the decade poll as well. I have some free time at the moment... and I feel like other's might too. Get people rolling on that. It's a pain making those lists. I'd probably keep it open for upwards of 2 months. I'm sure nearly everyone here has watched enough films from the decade to compile a solid list.

It looks like Reddit's film community has whipped up a list—

https://letterboxd.com/les_vampires/lis...the-2010s/

If anyone wants to check out a few they haven't. I'm interested to see how we compare. Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 being so (surprisingly) high reminds me of our previously lists. Not sure what's up with The Edge of Tomorrow being so high, but I haven't seen it, so can't say. Despite BEA being a music site, I'm not sold we'll have the same #1 though.
  • Visit poster's website
KitchenSink

• Posted: 03/16/2020 20:01
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

big time, and it's making me realize just how much 2019 shit I missed. hoping I can get through my watchlist before the deadline!

to anyone who wants a long ass movie to occupy quarantine time, Laz Diaz's latest is a minor masterpiece imo, would highly recommend to all fans of extreeeemely slow (and beautiful) long takes Very Happy
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 03/16/2020 22:34
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I'm not sold on the idea of hosting two polls at once, but I might start the decade poll as well. I have some free time at the moment... and I feel like other's might too. Get people rolling on that. It's a pain making those lists. I'd probably keep it open for upwards of 2 months. I'm sure nearly everyone here has watched enough films from the decade to compile a solid list.

For me the most important part of film polls is watching the movies for them. Have at least 11 2019 films I still want to see for this one. Haven't been able to watch much in the last 5 days because of something bad that arose in my personal life. Will probably watch a movie a night in the last week (will still try to post a list a day or two early). Hoping to watch at least 30 movies for the decade poll. Have watched a few in the last month or so, but obviously got to dig into the 2019 ones now. I do already have a fairly solid decade list -- enjoyed compiling it (no pain, just time-consuming) -- but there are also some big holes I want to fill, and wouldn't mind pushing the bottom twenty off my list because it feels a little soft for my taste.

Quote:
I'm interested to see how we compare. Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 being so (surprisingly) high reminds me of our previously lists. Not sure what's up with The Edge of Tomorrow being so high, but I haven't seen it, so can't say. Despite BEA being a music site, I'm not sold we'll have the same #1 though.

Yeah, Whiplash at #1's just plain bizarre. It's obviously the kind of movie that can make a top 20, maybe even a top 10, but c'mon. As a jazz buff, there are definitely elements that don't ring true to me at all. The notion of a Charlie Parker of the drums emerging in the 2010s is ridiculous -- there's just not enough room left to innovate as much on the drums as Bird did by co-inventing be-bop/modern jazz and his alto sax conception in the 40s. I mean, after Max Roach, Elvin Jones, Tony Williams [and put favorite free jazz drummer here], there just ain't much left to do. Don't think there's ever been "the Charlie Parker" of the drums. What would a Bird of the drums even sound like? Also a dude who does nothing but conduct like J.K. Simmons getting a jazz festival gig as a bandleader isn't a thing. I like the movie quite a bit, but I do have to suspend a quite a bit of credulity at times.

I prefer Edge of Tomorrow to Blade Runner 2049, which I think is overrated because it's the sequel to an iconic film and it's Ridley Scott. Edge of Tomorrow's Doug Liman's best movie since Swingers and the first section of Go. Less ambitious than 2049, but in this case that's a good thing.
  • Visit poster's website