Best Films of 2019 [Poll][Dead]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 03/17/2020 01:00
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
I'm gonna see Portrait of a Lady on Fire in theaters next week.
Last night, the mayor of LA ordered all movie theaters to close through March 31. Welp, guess I'm not gonna see it before this poll closes. Oh well.
Hayden wrote:
I'm not sold on the idea of hosting two polls at once, but I might start the decade poll as well. I have some free time at the moment... and I feel like other's might too. Get people rolling on that. It's a pain making those lists. I'd probably keep it open for upwards of 2 months. I'm sure nearly everyone here has watched enough films from the decade to compile a solid list.
There's barely any interest in the poll that's running now. Hmm, starting a second poll before this one finishes might produce more interest, but it could have the opposite effect. I don't know.
PurpleHazel wrote:
For me the most important part of film polls is watching the movies for them. I do already have a fairly solid decade list -- but there are also some big holes I want to fill and wouldn't mind pushing the bottom twenty off my list because it feels a little soft for my taste.
Agreed. And it takes time to catch up on everything. Case and point, Portrait of a Lady on Fire. Even without this epidemic, it hadn't been easy to access. I hear it's great, one of the finest films of the year/decade, but not everyone can see it so easily. Furthermore, there are festival films from last year that are on the back-burner and haven't been released anywhere outside of their festivals yet, and won't be released any time soon. So why the rush to do a decade poll? Sure, we can compile a solid list, but don't we want it to be better?

Last edited by CA Dreamin on 03/17/2020 03:25; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/17/2020 01:16
  • Post subject:
Quote:
There's barely any interest in the poll that's running now. Hmm, starting a second poll before this one finishes might produce more interest, but it could have the opposite effect. I don't know.

Not 100% sure either. Going to assume more people would be able to participate though. Even if you're not super caught up on 2019 films, you're bound to have a few favourites from the last ten years. Hoping people get a start on them anyway.

Quote:
Last night, the mayor of LA ordered all movie theaters to close through March 31. Welp, guess I'm not gonna see it before this poll closes. Oh well.

Yeah... really is time to scavenge Netflix. I'm doubting Portrait of A Lady on Fire will ever make it to Netflix, but it's an easy choice for one of the best films of the decade. Hoping people get to see it however they can.

Quote:
So why the rush to do a decade poll? Sure, we can compile a solid list, but don't we want it to be better?

Deadline would still be a ways out. Maybe even mid-April. If the world is still around and all that jazz.

We'll see. Still mulling. Might send out a few reminders for regular list-senders...
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 03/17/2020 10:06
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
There's barely any interest in the poll that's running now.

Well, maybe relative to previous years, but five 50-film lists for a yearly poll isn't anything to turn your nose up at. I will probably never be able to make a 50-film list of commercially distributed movies for a poll of the year that just ended. Three other members have stated that they will submit lists, including me, and then there's, um... you! Mr. Green

CA Dreamin wrote:
PurpleHazel wrote:
I do already have a fairly solid decade list

So why the rush to do a decade poll? Sure, we can compile a solid list, but don't we want it to be better?

When you say "we can," you mean just me and you or do you mean BEA? Obviously I was just talking about my own list. If you mean BEA, that's true most of the time, but it is possible to have a very good final list without a lot of lists, depending on the type of poll and the quality of the lists. And it's possible to have a meh final list with a lot of lists, though it would be more representative of BEA users, which is the goal, I guess...?

Last edited by PurpleHazel on 03/17/2020 12:33; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 03/17/2020 10:57
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I'm doubting Portrait of A Lady on Fire will ever make it to Netflix, but it's an easy choice for one of the best films of the decade. Hoping people get to see it however they can.

It's distributed by Neon in the U.S., so Hulu's going to get it. But since it's still in theaters -- well, sorta... it may be a while. Who knows -- maybe it'll transition sooner because of the virus.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/17/2020 20:48
  • Post subject:
I just hope that everyone can at least watch everyone's Top 10-15 before the end of the deadline.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 03/17/2020 22:20
  • Post subject:
Patience grasshopper. No I agree it would be better to wait until the current one closes to start another since you don;t want to mix interest, but ya know do what you gotta do.

Anyways should have a 2019 list up at the eleventh hour, won't be anything spectacular but at least it'll be another entry
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/17/2020 22:40
  • Post subject:
Aight, I'll wait until this one closes Smile

Hopefully we're all still alive by then.

Will reach out and try to reel in a few more members.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/17/2020 22:50
  • Post subject:
ItsGabe wrote:
big time, and it's making me realize just how much 2019 shit I missed. hoping I can get through my watchlist before the deadline!

to anyone who wants a long ass movie to occupy quarantine time, Laz Diaz's latest is a minor masterpiece imo, would highly recommend to all fans of extreeeemely slow (and beautiful) long takes Very Happy

Missed this. Looking forward to your list Gabe Smile

Also, you def mean Lav Diaz* (Laz's a baseball dude). Are you talking about Season of the Devil or The Halt? I'd be cool with people putting either on their 2019 lists. Both are on my watchlist... no idea when they'll become available.

Also— WELCOME BACK.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 03/18/2020 00:03
  • Post subject:
Thanks for giving me a private message. While I did see some movies from 2019, I haven't really watched that much. There are a couple of movies that I saw. And who knows, with all the stuff that has been going on, I might watch some more movies. Though I will be listening to a good chunk of music. And you should too.

But back to movies I could give a short list.

From Favorite to Least favorite, my short list would be
A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood
Avengers Endgame
Joker
The LightHouse
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
Star Wars IX

Gradewise 1st and 2nd place would be a 9/10 to a possible 10/10
Third place would be a 8/10 to a possible 9/10
Fourth place and Fifth place would be a 7/10 to an 8/10
And last place would be a 6/10 to a 7/10

There are some films that I do want to watch. Off the top of my head, movies like Klaus, Knives Out and Parasite are movies I want to watch. Also do want to throw in Little Women, Uncut Gems and that movie Eddie Murphy was in for 2019. Don't know if this will be updated, but I don't see myself getting a top 50.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 03/18/2020 02:21
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
While I did see some movies from 2019, I haven't really watched that much. There are a couple of movies that I saw. And who knows, with all the stuff that has been going on, I might watch some more movies.

There are some films that I do want to watch. Off the top of my head, movies like Klaus, Knives Out and Parasite are movies I want to watch. Also do want to throw in Little Women, Uncut Gems and that movie Eddie Murphy was in for 2019. Don't know if this will be updated, but I don't see myself getting a top 50.

I'm second to no BEA member when it comes to film knowledge. But I've never made that big an effort to see a lot of movies from the current year, so my list's going to be closer to 30. Last year plenty of people posted smaller lists.

Parasite and Uncut Gems are favorites in this forum as well as elsewhere, but I can highly recommend Knives Out too. Feel like it's gotten overshadowed a little bit by the bigger names. Dolemite is My Name is the Eddie Murphy film -- it's oversimplifying a little, but Rudy Ray Moore, the star/producer of Dolemite, was kind of like the black Ed Wood.
  • Visit poster's website