Top 5 concerts of 2022

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/04/2020 19:06
  • Post subject:

The Cold Vein by Cannibal Ox
I've been going over a lot of 2000s classics, old favourites and new discoveries over the last few weeks, and I have to say none of the records have grown on me quite as much as The Cold Vein. I mean it's among my favourite 2000s records now, but when I heard it first a few years ago, I thought it was just alright. It's so layered both lyrically and production wise, not to mention abstract, so it's easy for a young uninitiated guy who just started listening to rap to overlook the greatness of these songs.

And there's certainly a lot of material here. Over 70 minutes in length, 15 songs and even though it may be too much at first, soon enough you'll feel like it could be double its length. There isn't a bad moment on the whole thing. With immense production which transports you to the gritty, dark world of Vordul Mega and Vast Aire, it manages to set an atmosphere that's unlike anything I've heard on a hip hop record. El-P's beats and effects are often very loud in the mix, which gives the whole record a pretty unique, mystic feeling. Heavy, mesmerizing synths that sound like they could be in a Doctor Who episode provide an unlikely, but ultimately unforgettable background. Atmosphere and album's "feel" are the qualities which I value a lot in music of any genre, so it's not surprising that I love The Cold Vein so much.

The lyrics are another story. They are as clever as they are self-aware, rarely if ever cross a line in terms of pretentiousness. Talking about numerous topics like rap as an art form vs rap as easy listening, coming of age, social and political state of New York, friend zones and to top it all, a battle for Asgard. Unlikely metaphors, catchy phrases which may seem almost nonsensical at times, vivid New York stories. Maybe the best word to describe those verses is "picturesque". And again, whenever you think "well this is a bit pretentious" they hit you with a meta verse like that Vast Aire "Oh my God, said a word twice" part on Raspberry Fields. They don't actually care about conventions, being the "real" rap or anything like that, despite the usual boasting (like the hook on Real Earth "one dimensional emcees can't handle that", or the brilliant Vast Aire quote "I grab the mic like Are you experienced? / But I don't play the guitar, I play my cadence"). Some of my other favourite verses:

"You were a still born baby, mother didn't want you
But you were still born
Boy meets world, of course his pops is gone, what you figure
That chalky outline on the ground is a father figure?
So he steps to the next stencil, that's a hustler
Infested with money and diamond cluster
Lets talk in laymen terms
Rotten apples and big worms, early birds and poachers
New York is evil at its core" - Vast Aire, Iron Galaxy

"Pop goes the flow of the weasel
Strapped with an Ox full of diesel
Trapped in the desert with eagles
Thoughts of ghetto acapellas in cathedrals
Spilling heavy gospels with cheaters
Twisted up, high off the reefer
Lost beyond regions of logic and reason, just being" - Vordul Mega, Vein

"Birds of the same feather flock together
Congested on a majestic street corner
That's a short time goal for most of 'em
Cuz most of 'em
Would rather expand their wings and hover over greater things
That's what we call inspired flight
By the pigeons that gotta eat pizza crust every night" - Vast Aire, Pigeons

There are several great features, one of the best is Alaska on Atom. His lines here are incredible:

"A lot of cats pop shit, I pop apocalypse
Topple propaganda force fed to the populace
My thoughts run the gamut from outstanding to preposterous
On top of this I move posteriors
From impoverished to posh areas"

And of course, the legendary closing track, Scream Phoenix. It follows the song Pigeons, where poor people of New York are compared to pigeons, and makes numerous references to pigeons and their metaphorical transformation to a phoenix. The hook contains incredible imagery of people being locked (both literally and figuratively) and then reborn like Jesus:

"So when you see me shine light (better scream phoenix)
The god locked in a cell (scream phoenix)
Moms can't post bail (you gotta scream phoenix)
Jesus on a crucifix (scream phoenix)
Jesus on a crucifix (scream phoenix)
Jesus on a crucifix"

To conclude, if I finish my hip hop chart one day, I wouldn't be surprised if The Cold Vein lands right on the top.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 05/04/2020 19:32
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:

The Cold Vein by Cannibal Ox

To conclude, if I finish my hip hop chart one day, I wouldn't be surprised if The Cold Vein lands right on the top.

Right there with you on that one!
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/06/2020 00:02
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:

Right there with you on that one!
Would love to see your hip hop chart, especially if The Cold Vein is near the top Very Happy

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/25/2020 16:11
  • Post subject:

Songs About Fucking by Big Black
Absolute classic by Steve Albini's first band. It's noise, punk and post-punk but also so much more. Laid the groundworks for post-hardcore and indie (and Slint), among others. It also has some industrial elements at times. Another interesting thing is that this self-described punk band uses drum machines, which you don't see every day. When the title is "Songs About Fucking" and the opening song "The Power Of Independent Trucking", you know you're in for a treat. Gotta love Albini.

"The backbone of this country is the independent truck
The power of the trucker comes from his truck
The best thing about trucks is the cab overhead
That's where those truckers generate their
Backbone!
Backbone!"

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 05/25/2020 17:31
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:

Songs About Fucking by Big Black
Absolute classic by Steve Albini's first band. It's noise, punk and post-punk but also so much more. Laid the groundworks for post-hardcore and indie (and Slint), among others. It also has some industrial elements at times. Another interesting thing is that this self-described punk band uses drum machines, which you don't see every day. When the title is "Songs About Fucking" and the opening song "The Power Of Independent Trucking", you know you're in for a treat. Gotta love Albini.

"The backbone of this country is the independent truck
The power of the trucker comes from his truck
The best thing about trucks is the cab overhead
That's where those truckers generate their
Backbone!
Backbone!"

Nice! Got see them live once here in Chicago. Insanely good. Love this album! All their early EPs are also amazing!

Racer-X by Big Black
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/29/2020 09:42
  • Post subject:
Apart from the two studio albums, I’ve tried the Bulldozer EP. Gave Racer-X a listen, it’s just as good as the others. Steve Albini really is the father of noise rock.

Siftorde by Tidiane Thiam
African blues at its most personal. If you like Ali Farka Toure’s output, you should give this one a listen.
From my 2020 chart:
"Reminiscent of Ali Farka Toure's brand of African blues, this small masterpiece by Tidiane Thiam sucks you in completely. Crickets and nature sounds in the background make you feel like you're sitting by the fire, right next to Thiam while he's plucking his rusty old guitar."

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 06/03/2020 18:00
  • Post subject:

Absence by Dälek
Death Grips way before Death Grips were a thing. Industrial, noisy and experimental production, as well as very direct, political and honest lyricism make this a hip hop album for ages. Always like to revisit an old favourite. My appreciation for Dälek grew rapidly over the years and I'm especially enjoying Absence more and more with each listen.

Glimmer by Jacaszek
It's been a long time since I've listened to Glimmer, and finally I've rated it and placed it in top 50 of the decade, where it belongs. Gorgeous, fragile electroacustic/ambient music with live harpsichord, bass clarinet and metalophone that can't really be described, it needs to be heard.

Veronica Falls by Veronica Falls
I've heard it yesterday for the first time, and was blown away. Today after the second listen, it's already a favourite. The seamless blend of post-punk and indie pop/rock with quality (and I cannot stress that word enough) songwriting makes the 30 something minute album engaging throughout. Every song sounds like an indie classic to me.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2020 20:50
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:

Glimmer by Jacaszek
It's been a long time since I've listened to Glimmer, and finally I've rated it and placed it in top 50 of the decade, where it belongs. Gorgeous, fragile electroacustic/ambient music with live harpsichord, bass clarinet and metalophone that can't really be described, it needs to be heard.

Incredibly beautiful stuff here! Loving this rec!!! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 06/03/2020 21:23
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:

Incredibly beautiful stuff here! Loving this rec!!! Very Happy

Glad that you loved it man Very Happy

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 06/05/2020 00:04
  • Post subject:
Inspired by Spyglass and his efforts, I tried making a short but honest list of underrated (on BEA) metal albums. Will try adding more albums when I find some time

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=59775

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website