Chart editor suggestions.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 03/22/2020 21:12
  • Post subject: Chart editor suggestions.
I have a few suggestions for the chart editor...hopefully they're not repeats. The first two are problems I see with the unwieldy mobile editor, and aren't so much an issue on PC.

1.) The "Instructions" field at the top of the editor compounds the already excessive verticality of the mobile site, can it be reduced to a simple text link? I did finally notice that there's an X to close it just now (it's hard to see), but it'd be better to not have to close it every time I edit a chart.

2.) The "Pick from favorites/ratings/collection/listened" tools utterly dominate the mobile editor. Is it necessary to list these for each and every chart entry? They're also a little confusing, in the first place. If I use one of these options for, let's say, my #1 entry, will that entry be overwritten or will a new entry be inserted? Is it possible for these options to only appear when adding a new entry?

3.) The "Pick from favorites/ratings/collection/listened" tools aren't helpful in a way that makes sense. For instance, when editing a decade chart, none of the tools filter out albums that aren't from that decade. They are greyed out, but they're still listed and in the way. The "Pick from listened" tool would be extremely useful (extremely) to me for adding albums to year or decade charts, but as it is, it presents me with 1600 albums spread across 81 pages. Is it possible to get these tools to automatically filter out (and remove) unusable albums? Most importantly, albums from wrong years or decades, and albums that already appear in the chart (this is another big problem).

4.) Add a button at the top of the page that jumps you to the final entry.

No pressure here, but these are problems that I see.

Can anyone give any input on whether or how they use the "Pick from.." tools?
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/23/2020 10:59
  • Post subject: Re: Chart editor suggestions.
Hi, thanks for taking the time to give this useful feedback, it's much appreciated. I must admit to not using the chart editor enough on mobile Embarassed which is probably why some of these issues exist. I like the idea of hiding the instructions on mobile (and have the site remember the visibility state between visits).

The site could definitely look at hiding the 'Pick from...' options and only show them for the entry that is being actively edited. Agree, these lists could also be a bit smarter for year/decade lists and ineligible albums could be hidden (overlooked some people have fairly big lists of favs/ratings etc which must be quite unwieldy.) A jump to bottom link would also be a good addition. I'll add all of these ideas to the list and schedule them for development as soon as possible. Please bear with me for a short while as a few other things need looking at as well.
  • Visit poster's website
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2020 14:27
  • Post subject:
Thanks a lot man, sounds good! Take your time.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/17/2020 10:05
  • Post subject: Re: Chart editor suggestions.
Jameth wrote:
I have a few suggestions for the chart editor...hopefully they're not repeats. The first two are problems I see with the unwieldy mobile editor, and aren't so much an issue on PC.

1.) The "Instructions" field at the top of the editor compounds the already excessive verticality of the mobile site, can it be reduced to a simple text link? I did finally notice that there's an X to close it just now (it's hard to see), but it'd be better to not have to close it every time I edit a chart.

2.) The "Pick from favorites/ratings/collection/listened" tools utterly dominate the mobile editor. Is it necessary to list these for each and every chart entry? They're also a little confusing, in the first place. If I use one of these options for, let's say, my #1 entry, will that entry be overwritten or will a new entry be inserted? Is it possible for these options to only appear when adding a new entry?

3.) The "Pick from favorites/ratings/collection/listened" tools aren't helpful in a way that makes sense. For instance, when editing a decade chart, none of the tools filter out albums that aren't from that decade. They are greyed out, but they're still listed and in the way. The "Pick from listened" tool would be extremely useful (extremely) to me for adding albums to year or decade charts, but as it is, it presents me with 1600 albums spread across 81 pages. Is it possible to get these tools to automatically filter out (and remove) unusable albums? Most importantly, albums from wrong years or decades, and albums that already appear in the chart (this is another big problem).

4.) Add a button at the top of the page that jumps you to the final entry.

Just as an update, most of these changes have now been implemented:
1. Instructions can now be shown/hidden (hidden by default on mobile)
2. 'Pick from' options can now be shown/hidden on mobile (hidden by default on mobile)
3. 'Pick' from' lists now filter out albums not from same year/decade in year/decade charts (all albums still available if searching directly from album field in chart editor)
4. 'Jump to bottom' link added

Thanks for ideas, made a big improvement...
  • Visit poster's website
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 06/06/2020 23:37
  • Post subject:
Thanks for these fixes, I didn’t notice them until a few days ago. Massive improvement!

The year/decade chart pick lists still need one more filter to filter out albums already appearing within the chart being edited, to prevent adding duplicates.

Thank you!
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/09/2020 07:50
  • Post subject:
Jameth wrote:
Thanks for these fixes, I didn’t notice them until a few days ago. Massive improvement!

The year/decade chart pick lists still need one more filter to filter out albums already appearing within the chart being edited, to prevent adding duplicates.

Thank you!

Thanks for feedback. I'll add to list and get this done
  • Visit poster's website
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 02/04/2021 19:18
  • Post subject:
Thanks again, for getting these ideas fully implemented! I do have a couple of new ideas, though.

Picking from lists is still a bit of a chore due to the clumsy navigation. For each new entry, a given list will start at Page 1. From which you can only navigate forward one page at a time, meaning albums on the back pages are a chore to reach. A dropdown menu or text entry field to allow you to jump to a particular page would be a huge help.

I've also been thinking that it would be really nice if you could automatically populate a chart from your ratings. For instance, let's say you're editing your chart for 1992, and you've rated 50 albums from that year, you could just press a button at the top of the editor to populate the chart (this feature would probably have to overwrite any entries you've already made) with those 50 albums, ordered from highest to lowest rating. This might also require a custom threshold to filter out albums the user has rated poorly. Taking this a step further, albums could automatically (in the background) be charted once rated, based on the user's settings. I'm sure there are some problems with this I'm overlooking, but I think this feature would save users a tremendous amount of legwork in building their charts.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/05/2021 10:45
  • Post subject:
No worries, and thanks for your previous ideas as have really helped to improve this area of the site (sorry it took a while to implement them all). Agree, the navigation of those paged items can be a bit cumbersome, particularly if you have large numbers of items to sift through so I'll add something to make this a bit easier along the lines you've suggested.

Also I like the idea of populating charts from ratings (maybe also from favs etc). There might be a few details that could make this a bit more complicated than first seems and possible issues with how to sequence albums with same rating etc, but agree it could help to reduce the user legwork of populating charts, which is a good thing, so I'll definitely check into this.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 02/05/2021 12:33
  • Post subject:
Jameth wrote:
I've also been thinking that it would be really nice if you could automatically populate a chart from your ratings. For instance, let's say you're editing your chart for 1992, and you've rated 50 albums from that year, you could just press a button at the top of the editor to populate the chart (this feature would probably have to overwrite any entries you've already made) with those 50 albums, ordered from highest to lowest rating. This might also require a custom threshold to filter out albums the user has rated poorly. Taking this a step further, albums could automatically (in the background) be charted once rated, based on the user's settings. I'm sure there are some problems with this I'm overlooking, but I think this feature would save users a tremendous amount of legwork in building their charts.

Love this idea, it would save so much time. Also I don't think any site has implemented something like this, could be a great feature for BEA. And it doesn't seem like a huge upgrade, but AM knows that better. Also I don't think the order would be a huge problem, if you have 50 albums rated 75/100 just add them chronologically (or randomly).

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2021 18:48
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Love this idea, it would save so much time. Also I don't think any site has implemented something like this, could be a great feature for BEA. And it doesn't seem like a huge upgrade, but AM knows that better. Also I don't think the order would be a huge problem, if you have 50 albums rated 75/100 just add them chronologically (or randomly).

I think it would mostly present a problem to users with high average ratings or huge spikes in their ratings distribution, which unfortunately seems to be a large portion of the userbase. There seem to be, for instance, plenty of users who slap a 100 on everything that wouldn't benefit from this feature. Maybe it would have the added benefit of persuading users to utilize a wider range of ratings and be stingier with the higher ratings (and not have 150 albums rated 100 from the same decade), consciously or subconsciously. At the very least, you'd still have the option to manually sort albums with similar ratings, which would probably be necessary, anyway.

I think the biggest issue with the ordering would lie with the rating group that doesn't fit within the chart. For example, I've got 93 albums rated 70 or higher for 1970 and 37 rated a 65. How would the editor pick which 7 of those 37 to chart? Random would work, because I honestly don't really care all too deeply about those last 7 albums which I've rated a 65. But, there might be other scenarios for me or others where it would get tricky.

As an additional argument:

There seems to be a lot of inconsistencies with a lot of people's charts and their ratings, meaning they have albums they've rated higher ranked below albums they've rated lower within their charts. There's also a similar inconsistency between user's overall, decade, and year charts. I notice the same thing in my own charts all the time, where I'll have my top 5 for a given year ranked in a certain order, but when I filter my corresponding decade chart for that year, those five albums are ranked completely differently. I'm sure this is a non-issue for a lot of users; but it does bother me to some degree that my charts are inconsistent, and the amount of cross-referencing across multiple charts and ratings lists involved for anyone that wants consistency in their charts amounts to a bit of a burden. Now that I think about it, a big reason that it takes so much work to do this is because you cannot see your album ratings from the chart editor. This isn't a issue for anyone that keeps their ratings logged offsite, but I don't.

And yes! No other site offers anything close to the kind of effortless ability to assemble charts this feature would offer. It could be a big draw to the site.