Tiger King

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
theblueboy

• Posted: 04/13/2020 14:21
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
Absolutely, there's some real dark shit in there that's almost glossed over to a certain extent (I'll hold off for now in terms of spoilers for those who've yet to get to it), at the same time, it's a numbers game and none of us would probably be here talking about it if it was set up any other way, I think the style just suits the nature of people involved and stories being told, even if underplayed the severity of some aspects, it certainly wouldn't work for every documentary but I think this is one the cases where if does fit.

Just as a reference, I recently attempted go watch the Netflix Pandemic documentary, they brought out just before all the Covid-19 things kicked off on a big scale, think it came out in January, anyway, I couldn't hack the style of it, way too sensationalist, interesting in some aspects but a lot of things were needlessly blown out of proportion and done purely to scaremonger. They had this graphic comparing the Spanish Flu's death toll to that of the World War's, which is completely unnecessary anyway and pissed me off quite a bit.

Apologies for the rant, I really had to hold back there when I remembered Pandemic.

Yeah-I think you make some good points: We would not be watching or talking about a more sober documentary about tiger captivity in the US without all the crazy antics on display! Hopefully Tiger King will help change some people's perspective on the captivity of tigers in zoos anyway-even if the level of focus on some of the characters in the series is a bit uncomfortable for me.

Surprised you had that strong reaction to the Pandemic documentary. I thought it was well made and I found a lot of the people in the doc quite inspiring. Totally respect your viewpoint though.
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/13/2020 07:47
  • Post subject:
babyBlueSedan wrote:
I watched the entire thing on Sunday. I expected one type of crazy based on the trailer and got a whole other type of crazy. A friend binged it the day before and we spent like half an hour just going back and forth about all the insane things that happened. When the Miami drug kingpin is, comparatively, the voice of reason in your show you've got a hit.

There's rumors of an 8th episode coming out this weekend, which is big if true.

Ha yeah. I've been telling people the sanest person is the one Scarface is based on. I found the whole thing quite depressing. Still binged it mind but maybe was a tad over hyped. Not much light, just varying shades of dark. Anyone who mentions it to me, I just ask them if they've seen Making a Murderer.
  • Visit poster's website