What are your favorite music styles?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2020 12:59
  • Post subject:
Rock, especially hard rock, southern rock, classic rock, metal, progressive metal, symphonic metal, and progressive rock.

Jazz, especially hard bop, post bop, bebop, soul jazz, jazz blues, and jazz funk, and world jazz.

Classical, especially (by period) baroque, classical, romantic, 20th century, and (by format), symphonic, chamber (especially string quartets) and solo piano.

Also blues, funk, some pop, and some world music (African, Celtic, Native American).
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2020 13:28
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Rock, especially hard rock, southern rock, classic rock, metal, progressive metal, symphonic metal, and progressive rock.

You and I are going to get along very well.
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2020 19:29
  • Post subject:
Broadly speaking, my three favorites are hip-hop, indie pop/rock, and r&b.

Here are the top 25 genres represented in my library according to RYM:

1. Singer/Songwriter
2. Indie Pop
3. East Coast Hip Hop
4. Indie Rock
5T. Southern Hip Hop
5T. Art Pop
7. Pop Rock
8. Soul
9. Conscious Hip Hop
10. Dream Pop
11. Electropop
12. Synthpop
13. Contemporary R&B
14. Trap
15. Boom Bap
16. Twee Pop
17. Post-Punk
18T. Pop Rap
18T. West Coast Hip Hop
18T. Psychedelic Pop
18T. Contemporary Folk
22T. Hardcore Hip Hop
22T. Alternative Rock
22T. Alternative R&B
25. Bubblegum Bass
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/05/2020 19:47
  • Post subject:
My genre du jour changes every bloody week depending on whatever I happen to unearth during a crate dig or a hop around t'Internet, but my fail-safes:

- Jamaican Ska, Rocksteady, Roots, Dub, Dancehall (up to the mid-80s)
- Folk (assuming it's escapist and makes me think of a time I wasn't alive to experience)
- House, Techno, Acid, Old Skool D&B/Jungle c. mid 80s-early 00s (what masquerades as 'house' currently is tantamount to shite if you ask me)
- indie pop/80s twee
- 60s/70s Tropicalia/MPB (obrigado Bruno)
- first-wave punk/post-punk (so '76-84ish) - more DIY the better. "It was easy, it was cheap, go and do it!"
- 80s (mainly US) hardcore
- spiritual jazz (a late discovery, but I'm disappearing down the rabbit hole...)
- 60s garage rock and girl bands
- 70s soul and funk, the more off-kilter the better

Can't find much 21st century stuff that really gets me in the groove. The trials and tribulations of being middle-aged, I guess. Or maybe I'm looking under the wrong stones.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2020 01:38
  • Post subject:
I'm into power pop, synth pop, singer/songwriter, classic rock, New Wave, shoegaze, grunge, post-grunge, Britpop, some metal. Favorite time period of music is 1983-97.
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2020 02:38
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
I know what you mean about it. I remember being blown away by The Dreaming some time ago, and it's still my favorite art pop album.

I saw your chart and I'm checking out that Lydia Ainsworth album. Given your description of your tastes this seems like the kind of thing a person of your tastes would get into. It's like Never for Ever meets Kid A.

the dreaming is fantastic! and yes I like that description of the album Very Happy

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 04/14/2020 08:17
  • Post subject:
All strands of rap. A lot of reggae, but particularly lovers' rock, early dancehall, roots, dub. Soul, funk, disco, r'n'b (in the more modern sense), quiet storm. Sophistipop, synthpop, soft rock, art pop. Folk, folk rock, singer/songwriter. Hard bop, post-bop, free jazz, third stream. Jazz funk and soul jazz. Krautrock, post-punk, shoegaze, dream pop, post-rock. UK punk, indie rock, some power pop, some midwest-style emo. House, UK garage, drum'n'bass, grime, dubstep, footwork. Minimal techno, IDM, ambient, kosmische synth, glitch. Stoner metal, doom, drone metal. Afrobeat. That probably covers it.
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2020 18:28
  • Post subject:
Over the past couple years my preferred genre has been a type of folky singer-songwriter that is kind of hard to classify, but which has a certain kind of lyrical style and often has long, evolving songs. Jason Molina is my favorite artist in this style, but Mark Kozelek, Bill Callahan, and Phil Elverum also fall into that bucket. I also kind of associate more recent acts like Big Thief and Phoebe Bridgers with that style a bit, and even Norman Fucking Rockwell kind of fits that mold. Big Thief's "Not" could be a Molina cover and Bridgers's lyrical style is right up my alley. This has also kind of overlapped with an interest in slowcore and alt-country but I haven't done nearly as much digging into those genres as I'd like.

Alternative and indie rock was my first musical interest and it's still there, though I've been digging through older stuff and kind of ignoring the new. Fair or unfair a lot of the old stuff is more up my alley and the new stuff just doesn't sound quite as innovative. I also got really into Midwest emo a couple years back but I haven't really dug past the classics in that genre. Lately the rock genres I've been digging more into are noise rock and post-hardcore, and the place where those intersect is kind of my sweet spot.

Recently I got more into soul and funk, and I've found that afro-funk is my preferred type of funk. Recently I discovered I like some jazz as well, but similarly the type of jazz I like is often spiritual, jazz-funk, or afro-jazz. I've also been trying to dig into more electronic music but I often struggle with it because it's not as song-based and songs I fall in love with are often what make albums stick. But I do dig a lot of the more repetitive, slow evolving stuff, and if you slap some vocal samples on top of it I'll be all over it. The Field and Blanck Mass are big favorites in that regard. Also a fan of metal but the more time passes the only subgenres I care about are doom (including stoner doom) and black metal.

Also a big hip hop fan, but it's really hard for me to define my hip hop preferences. A lot of the really conscious stuff annoys me but a lot of the gangsta rap on the other end of the spectrum also isn't really my thing. The artists I like tend to straddle the line a bit - think Outkast, Scarface, Freddie Gibbs, and even Danny Brown to an extent I guess. I also think I place a a heavier emphasis on beats than a lot of people since a lot of my listening is distracted at work and it makes it difficult to focus on lyrics; lyrics are still really important for hip hop but it's beats and production that really hook me.
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2020 18:58
  • Post subject:
deleted.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 04/15/2020 02:30
  • Post subject:
Whatever sounds good, I'll listen. Labels are for cans.

Emerging artists.
  • Visit poster's website