Your happiest memories as a music aficionado.

View previous topic :: View next topic
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 04/09/2020 22:45
  • Post subject: Your happiest memories as a music aficionado.
One of mine is the two week period that I spent listening to the whole Bob Dylan discography.
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/10/2020 00:12
  • Post subject:
Wow... so many:

- first time I heard Blue Monday c.’87. Epiphany.
- hearing This Charming Man in the early 90s around the time I was studying for my GCSEs. Resonated.
- discovering Nick Drake off the back of a compilation CD I sent off to Melody Maker for. Opened my heart.
- shopping for records, CDs and then records again on Berwick Street (as I’ve been doing on-and-off for 25 years). Obsession.
- sitting in a pub garden around ‘97, listening to Trojan classics on the jukebox and ‘discovering’ ‘reggae’. Love affair.
- Spiritualized, a gospel choir and some balloons falling from the Albert Hall ceiling. 97. Bliss.
- seeing Joanna Newsom play Ys at the same venue. Besotted.
- seeing AnCo’s Brother Sport played live at the oddest gig I’ve ever been to (at a theatre in Bracknell) and thinking it sounded like a Tight Fit track. Monged.
- dancing to Be My Baby at my wedding - still the only track me and the missus both adore. Love.
- finding a copy of Sister Nancy’s One, Two in a reggae shop on the All Saints’ Road and having to pinch myself to make sure it was for real. Holy Grail.
- anytime I hear Strings of Life. Heavenly.
- Sunday mornings walking down Portobello Road to the sound of reggae. I’m alive.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 04/10/2020 15:16
  • Post subject:
Years ago seeing the Flaming Lips live. It was at a festival and at the time I had only really listened to a couple of their songs from Yoshimi, so I wasn't too into them but they were the most interesting out of the acts that were playing that time slot.

Holy shit was it a magical experience. If you ever have the chance to see the Flaming Lips, I would highly recommend.

Alternatively, the first time I really listened to Loveless, I was going through a bit of a hard time. I'd been meaning to give it a proper listen for a while and decided to lay down in bed with my headphones on, no distractions. Instantly one of my favorite albums.
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 04/10/2020 15:19
  • Post subject:
I've had daydreams about seeing them live before.
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 04/11/2020 19:44
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
Years ago seeing the Flaming Lips live. It was at a festival and at the time I had only really listened to a couple of their songs from Yoshimi, so I wasn't too into them but they were the most interesting out of the acts that were playing that time slot.

Holy shit was it a magical experience. If you ever have the chance to see the Flaming Lips, I would highly recommend.

Alternatively, the first time I really listened to Loveless, I was going through a bit of a hard time. I'd been meaning to give it a proper listen for a while and decided to lay down in bed with my headphones on, no distractions. Instantly one of my favorite albums.

Saw Flaming Lips live at the UofC. Amazing. Felt like I was on hallucinogens. Probably should have been.