Ever since you joined BEA...

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2020 18:42
  • Post subject: Ever since you joined BEA...
How far do you think you've strayed from your original musical interests? I only first came here but I still have a lot of albums down so I can't really say. I just want to read some interesting takes and maybe start a real discussion.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2020 18:49
  • Post subject:
I went from a closed minded rock listener with narrow vision to listening to and finding something to enjoy at one level or another in absolutely everything. BEA has helped expand my preferences and tastes far beyond what I ever thought possible.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2020 18:50
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
I went from a closed minded rock listener with narrow vision to listening to and finding something to enjoy at one level or another in absolutely everything. BEA has helped expand my preferences and tastes far beyond what I ever thought possible.

Especially in the country range, judging by your chart. Is Drive-By Truckers a nostalgic childhood band for you?
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2020 18:53
  • Post subject:
I would say before BEA I was very limited due to just listening to stuff on the radio or commercials or from Youtube videos to now finding albums from genres I wouldn't have though of and loving them. All praise BEA.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2020 19:07
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
Especially in the country range, judging by your chart. Is Drive-By Truckers a nostalgic childhood band for you?

My opening to country music came first. There are other types of music moving up my charts...which are always moving. DBT is a band that I started seeing live a lot with friends...a favorite of my ex. That led to newer branches of music as well.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2020 19:16
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
My opening to country music came first. There are other types of music moving up my charts...which are always moving. DBT is a band that I started seeing live a lot with friends...a favorite of my ex. That led to newer branches of music as well.

So I'm going to assume those DBT albums in your top ten could probably get kicked out sometime very soon? That feeling told me I should wait to see what your chart a whilefrom now before rating and commenting on it.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2020 19:21
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
So I'm going to assume those DBT albums in your top ten could probably get kicked out sometime very soon? That feeling told me I should wait to see what your chart a whilefrom now before rating and commenting on it.

I don't know how soon things will move. I never do. It just kind of flows over time. You can rate it if you want to...I'm not really looking for validation of my charts. I can say that there won't be a major overhaul. I've never done that, and probably never will. And things take time to move up...which means things also take time to move down.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 04/13/2020 19:32
  • Post subject:
I came to BEA, probably near enough a decade ago, as somebody who largely listened to hip-hop, albeit with a grounding in classic rock and pop and UK punk and some folk and soul and reggae and jazz from my dad, and a taste for rave music (or, more specifically, raves). When it comes to new music, I still largely search out hip-hop, but my tastes have expanded exponentially to take in all sorts, and without BEA my exposure to lots of genres and artists would never have happened at all. People like Keith and Max and Paul and Dino and Noah and Gabe and Norman (my man!) and Jure and Leather others have introduced me to so much good shit, and they all deserve shoutouts! This site has a lovely community full of people with great taste, and sorry if your name was missed out! Peace lads!
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 04/13/2020 22:33
  • Post subject:
Man, I've been around here for a crazy long time it feels now, was in my mid-teens when I originally joined, barely had working internet, barely knew what music was (and girls too for that matter) and now I'm knocking on the door of 30, I've lived in multiple countries, and I'm discussing weddings and mortgages, time's weird, music is, thankfully, still great though.

My musical taste has grown and varied insanely since I first joined, when I was using the overall chart to pick out which second hand CD's I'd go on the hunt for that weekend (still remember getting the bus home that first weekend after joining, a stack of beaten up albums including the Velvet Underground, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Oasis, Patti Smith, the Clash, and a bunch of others that are still stacked neatly back in my parents house), my overall chart at the time reflected all this (I'm currently perusing the oldest version of my current overall chart still on the site, dated in 2011, and whilst the bulk of the top 10 has survived throughout the chart as whole, many other albums have changed all over), I was around BEA for awhile before I ever jumped into the forums and then I began to learn even more, I started to learn people's styles around here, perused their charts and went down rabbit holes into genres that had never crossed my mind, getting some of these albums was arguably more difficult at the time also given the likes of Spotify had to yet to kick into what it is now. The forums genuinely gave me a better understanding of the world as a whole also in a weird way, and how to source out the sounds within it, I started checking out record stores and picking up albums I'd heard nothing about, I started going to gigs and clubs, be it jazz, hip-hop, metal, anything literally (and then putting on gigs as I fell in with a wonderful crowd of music lovers in uni), I developed a new appreciation for the music my grandparents and parents would play, classical and Irish folk music, stuff I'd always disregarded in my younger years ('it couldn't be good if my parents listened to it'). I traveled lots and learnt more as I went, met more people and day by day, things grew.

So yeah, enough of a rant, I'll never be fully happy with my overall chart, there's hundreds upon hundreds of albums in contention for those places (and growing by the day), just had a look through it earlier and thought of cool dozen albums that could be going on there should I update anytime soon. I like a lot of things in this world, play my fair share of games, watch a lot of films, read a hell of a lot of books and comics, but nothing really comes close to what music can provide in the end, and I owe a lot of to this site.

• Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 04/13/2020 22:57
  • Post subject: Re: Ever since you joined BEA...
Spyglass wrote:
How far do you think you've strayed from your original musical interests?

I haven't strayed at all. Even though there is plenty of material that I love from other musical formats, country music is where I will always stay rooted. Smile Smile Smile

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website