Your 5-star movies that most people won't rate that high

View previous topic :: View next topic
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 04/28/2020 18:07
  • Post subject: Your 5-star movies that most people won't rate that high
I oftentimes see some slack for Scream. As a slasher, it's scarier and more creative than the usual slasher classic, and the satirical subject matter helps it.

I also greatly enjoy Scary Movie and I've seen it more often than Scream, but I would only rate it 3.5 stars. And it's on Netflix and Scream isn't.
BozoTyrannus

Guyana

• Posted: 05/15/2020 16:03
  • Post subject:
I will forever defend Attack of the Killer Tomatoes as one of the all time great films.

Also Voice of the Moon, usually derided by Fellini fans, is one of my absolute favorites by him.
And make Sean Pean
  • Visit poster's website
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 05/21/2020 04:02
  • Post subject:
Just doing a quick scan of my Letterboxd, I have ~400 5-stars (about 8% of my total films) once you take away miniseries, shorts etc., and these are some that I think people wouldn't usually consider 10/10 films:

- The 1939 version of A Star is Born; the 1954 remake is the one that gets the most love, and is also a 5-star film to me
- How Green Was My Valley (1941); frequently derided as "just the film that won Citizen Kane's award"
- Monsieur Verdoux (1947); time has been kinder to it, but it's still often called one of Chaplin's minor films
- The Hidden Fortress (1958); it seems stupid typing this, but for whatever reason "reappraisals" have come to the conclusion that this isn't one of Kurosawa's best?
- A Shot in the Dark (1964); I'm not the only person who thinks this is the greatest Pink Panther film, but most people would not give this a full 5 stars
- Medium Cool (1969); Another hidden gem of the 60s that gets a decent amount of love, but usually in the form of 4- or 4&1/2-star ratings
- Heaven's Gate (1980); this one needs no explanation, though I wonder how many people who trash it have only seen the awful butchery that is the theatrical cut
- On Golden Pond (1981); One of my all-time favourite films, and probably my favourite of the four that lost Best Picture to Chariots of Fire (FWIW, the other three films in question are Reds, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Atlantic City)
- The Dead Zone (1983); my favourite King adaptation not counting Shawshank, and one that gets a lot of praise, but not 10/10-level praise
- Salvador (1986); possibly my favourite Stone film, and one that never seems to get the respect that Platoon or Born on the Fourth of July get even though it's just as great
- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991); for my money, the greatest Star Trek film, one of the best sci-fi films, completely overshadowed by other entries in the franchise
- Insomnia (1997); not only is this a 5-star film for me, I consider it much better than the Nolan remake
- Jackie Brown (1997); I single this one out because it's my favourite Tarantino film and my favourite film of the 1990s. I know there are a lot of 5-star reviews for it, but very rarely does it ever top the "best of Tarantino" lists.
- Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004); is there anyone who'll join me in giving this 5 stars?
- Moneyball (2011); for my money, the greatest film there has ever been and probably ever will be about sports. A lot of 4- and 4&1/2-star kinda love for it, but I never see this one get perfect marks
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014), Captain America: Civil War (2016), and Avengers: Endgame (2019); Yeah, I have three MCU 5-stars, and there used to actually be a fourth as well.
- Springsteen on Broadway (2018); One of the most moving concert films, something that shook me to the core not as a Springsteen fan (which I am), but as a man. I think it's the best thing Netflix has ever made, and I think I'm hard-pressed to find anyone who agrees with me to that extent.

If I'm wrong about any of these, please let me know. I'd certainly like to be!
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2020 11:57
  • Post subject:
A couple movies

I rated The Big Short as a 5-star movie when I first saw it. I just remember being blown away by how entertaining a movie about sub-prime mortgages was. It was so fast and so intense with some awesome performances, and it was really funny without losing its drama and kept me engaged the whole movie. Now, that was when it came out, I haven't seen it since and I may have different feelings about it if I saw it now, I should probably re-watch it.

Similarly, when I first saw Lenny (again, a long time ago), I was blown away by it. Dustin Hoffman is awesome and at the time (I was probably like 17 when I saw it), I knew virtually nothing about Lenny Bruce, so the story was absolutely fascinating to me. Again, I need to rewatch it, it might not be a 5-star movie to me now.

Also, I'm not sure many people would consider it a 5-star movie, but Warrior (the MMA movie with Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy) absolutely blew me out of the water. I genuinely didn't expect it to be as good as it was. It was paced exceptionally well, the performances were all next-level, the fights were awesome, it was really really well done, which totally shocked me.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
TodFitz

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2020 14:31
  • Post subject:
48 HRS. (1982)
After Hours (1985)
An American Werewolf in London (1981)
Army of Darkness (1992)
Better Off Dead (1985)
Double Jeopardy (1999)
A Fish Called Wanda (1988)
Fletch (1985)
La Femme Nikita (1990)
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)
Stripes (1981)
True Lies (1994)
Wild Things (1998)
  • Visit poster's website