Best Films of The Decade (2010-2019)[LIST]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
ExTeaSea

United States

• Posted: 05/25/2020 15:11
  • Post subject:
Thanks for bringing this list together! Figured Marvel movies wouldn't make it even though I love them haha. Put a bunch on my list cuz they are so entertaining. Lots of good ones made it that's for sure. Glad to see Baby Driver and The Hunt made it. Only disappoinment was that Us didn't make it. Love that Get Out is in the top ten but I honestly thought Us was better. Us is definitely on my top ten.
  • Visit poster's website
ExTeaSea

United States

• Posted: 05/25/2020 15:32
  • Post subject:
Also stinks that 127 Hours or Bohemian Rhapsody didn't make the cut. Ah well. Then I see Social Network on there and I'm like man that movie was boring lol. Love David Fincher though. A movie about Facebook isn't very exciting haha. Ah well.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/28/2020 02:04
  • Post subject:
Quote:
It went from #1 film of 2014 and #3 overall, to #7 of 2014 and #27 overall. I admit I was high on Boyhood at the time for how it was produced. But now that I'm over the gimmick, it's easier to point out the film's few lulls, especially in the last 45 minutes. I can't believe I had Boyhood at #3 on my mid-decade list five years ago. It's a great movie but that's a tad too high. It was #22 on my list for this poll which is fairer. One also can't help but notice the rise and fall of The Lego Movie from these lists. At mid-decade, it was #10 overall and #3 of 2014...and didn't even make our Top 100 of 2010s. Boyhood and The Lego Movie demonstrate how films that are fresh on people's minds tend to perform better on the polls. Just like Parasite on this poll. Nobody knows how Parasite will hold up over time, but it'll be interesting to see.

There's a chance (just a chance, my personal guess) Boyhood isn't a film a lot of people rewatch. It's a one-time viewing sort of thing rather than a film you just just keep rewatching (ie, for me, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Mad Max Fury Road, and perhaps even Inception). It's fantastic, and well-worth its praise, but there's a chance it will stray further and further away from somebody's 'personal favourite'. I could be completely wrong, but just my guess. It's still a fantastic film and one of Linklater's best.

And thanks ExTeaSea, glad you liked the list Smile Us appeared on a good number of lists, but Get Out was definitely the consensus favourite of the two (I like them both about the same).

Last edited by Hayden on 05/28/2020 03:33; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2020 03:26
  • Post subject:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/29/2020 03:31
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Quote:
It went from #1 film of 2014 and #3 overall, to #7 of 2014 and #27 overall. I admit I was high on Boyhood at the time for how it was produced. But now that I'm over the gimmick, it's easier to point out the film's few lulls, especially in the last 45 minutes. I can't believe I had Boyhood at #3 on my mid-decade list five years ago. It's a great movie but that's a tad too high. It was #22 on my list for this poll which is fairer. One also can't help but notice the rise and fall of The Lego Movie from these lists. At mid-decade, it was #10 overall and #3 of 2014...and didn't even make our Top 100 of 2010s. Boyhood and The Lego Movie demonstrate how films that are fresh on people's minds tend to perform better on the polls. Just like Parasite on this poll. Nobody knows how Parasite will hold up over time, but it'll be interesting to see.

There's a chance (just a chance, my personal guess) Boyhood isn't a film a lot of people rewatch. It's a one-time viewing sort of thing rather than a film you just just keep rewatching (ie, for me, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Mad Max Fury Road, and perhaps even Inception). It's fantastic, and well-worth its praise, but there's a chance it will stray further and further away from somebody's 'personal favourite'. I could be completely wrong, but just my guess. It's still a fantastic film and one of Linklater's best.

And thanks ExTeaSea, glad you liked the list Smile Us appeared on a good number of lists, but Get Out was definitely the consensus favourite of the two (I like them both about the same).

I've rewatched Boyhood once and that was less than a year after the first viewing. You're right though. I'm sure I'll watch it at least once or twice more before I die but that's gonna probably be in situations that I consider "educational" for a friend or lover. It's definitely not a film I see myself popping into the bluray player for watching alone (unless I'm in super-loner mode if/when I get around to purchasing the Criterion). Out of the three films you mentioned, I've watched Inception at least 4 or 5 times (though it's the only one I saw in theater and also owned on all 3 of the main home disc formats). Fury Road I only watched twice (the color and black & chrome versions) and it's been quite a while but it still made my top 10. Grand Budapest at one viewing is due a revisit, which will also probably coincide with the Criterion purchase. Personally Moonrise Kingdom is the more cherished and watched Wes Anderson film for me.

Glancing over the top 40 I submitted for this poll, a large majority of them were only watched once. However, aside from Parasite at #1, the rest of my top 6 (Nymphomaniac 1 & 2, Melancholia, Beasts of the Southern Wild and 12 Years a Slave) got watched so much to the point that even if I never watch them again (and I assuredly will many more times) nothing from the decade will ever top those numbers.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/29/2020 21:00
  • Post subject:
ExTeaSea wrote:
Then I see Social Network on there and I'm like man that movie was boring lol. Love David Fincher though. A movie about Facebook isn't very exciting haha. Ah well.

Well, one person disagrees—

http://www.premiere.fr/Cinema/News-Cine...-Tarantino

(I believe Dunkirk was his runner-up)

Quote:
Personally Moonrise Kingdom is the more cherished and watched Wes Anderson film for me.

And same. Occasionally it flipflops, but I can always put on Moonrise Kingdom. It's probably not popular opinion, but I think his last three films are also his three best.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 05/30/2020 05:34
  • Post subject:
Soooooo.... what's the next Really Big Poll?
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2020 07:34
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:

Movie Poll? I'd host a 2000s decade poll if there's enough interest.

Agree both Grand Budapest Hotel and Moonrise Kingdom are in his top three. I'd rank his films:

1. Rushmore
2. The Grand Budapest Hotel
3. Moonrise Kingdom

4. The Royal Tenenbaums
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/30/2020 14:21
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:

Users have brought forth soundtracks, non-English, and a revamp of the 2000s list for suggestions. Not sure if any will be as big as this one, but there seems to be a backing behind all of them.

And I'm not sure how to react to Chief's video, but I certainly enjoyed it.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2020 16:14
  • Post subject:
I also get the vibe that Boyhood was a one-watch for most people, so I agree with Hayden there. Is rewatchabilty a criterion for movie greatness? Depends who you ask.

As for the next one, these movie polls have been declining in interest/participation for a while...until this one. Indeed, it was pleasantly surprising to see such a huge turnout. I believe it was the combination of two reasons; 1) that it was the 2010s, an easy topic that was fresh on everyone's mind and 2) the extra free time many of us have due to quarantine. So for the next poll to be as remotely successful, I feel it should also be a relatively easy topic, and perhaps should also be done sooner rather than later...before we all go back to work.
  • Visit poster's website