Best Films of The Decade (2010-2019)[LIST]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2020 19:50
  • Post subject:
I'm down for 2000s 2.0 but if we do that I'm more than likely going to want to redo every decade list eventually, though I don't think we could top the silent Era list (outside of it basically being a clone of my own list with maybe a few unseen great films). How many years has it been? Maybe we should set a minimum gap between re-dos. 5 years maybe? Or is that too long? I'm thinking midway through the 2020s we can do the 2020s as well as a third 2010s list. But we were only what, 3 years between the horror polls and honestly, come 2022 after more extremely acclaimed, perhaps Oscar winning genre films we may want to do another. But for retro lists that couldn't possibly include newer films I feel a little different.

As for non-English films, I don't know. Like, does that include silent non-English films or just foreign language talkies? I worry a list like that will be extremely heavy on particular countries (namely France, Italy and Japan with Sweden, Germany and Russia prominent as well but only being represented by the 1-3 heavyweight directors). I personally haven't seen much from India, Mexico, Spain, China, etc because those countries don't have "undisputed all time great" directors with vast filmographies that everyone praises. Watch Parasite come in #1 though.

Soundtracks really does fit in with BEA. Surprised if hasn't been done yet. But is it composed film scores or does it also include stuff featuring mainstream rock tracks a la Easy Rider or anything Tarantino (or even classical/opera that was recorded before and not written for the film like a lot of LVT)? It's kinda hard for me to differentiate the two kinds of soundtracks so I think they should probably be separate lists. Maybe two lists of 50 that are done at the same time?

Last edited by badseed on 05/30/2020 20:02; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/30/2020 19:59
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
I'm down for 2000s 2.0 but if we do that I'm more than likely going to want to redo every decade list eventually

That's my worry as well. I'm not sure I'd be up for that just right now Laughing. Second biggest (well, not "worry") point is that I think our current 00s list is really good. Truly. I think there could be some major stitch ups with the positions, and I don't think we'd have the same #1, but most of the same films would probably be on the board. It's not like a lot of new films from the aughts have come out since 2015.

Being said, I'd love to discover some more gems from '00-09. Always up for recommendations. Maybe we could get a thread starting just discussing some films from the aughts and then maybe get around to it?

Quote:
I feel it should also be a relatively easy topic, and perhaps should also be done sooner rather than later...before we all go back to work.

Don't worry, everyone will be home again come autumn Laughing (but yeah, I agree).
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2020 22:57
  • Post subject:
Ooh ooh ooh! I got it!

Instead of re-doing the 2000s, why don't we do "Another 100 from the 2000s". Every movie on the original top 100 is ineligible. So it's basically 101-200 (though we shouldnt refer to them as that) but that really gives lesser heralded films that we haven't all seen before a chance to show up, thus giving more recommendations and not having a chance of being repetitive. A win-win in my opinion.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2020 23:52
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
I'm down for 2000s 2.0 but if we do that I'm more than likely going to want to redo every decade list eventually, though I don't think we could top the silent Era list (outside of it basically being a clone of my own list with maybe a few unseen great films). How many years has it been? Maybe we should set a minimum gap between re-dos. 5 years maybe? Or is that too long?
Hayden wrote:
That's my worry as well. I'm not sure I'd be up for that just right now Laughing. Second biggest (well, not "worry") point is that I think our current 00s list is really good. Truly. I think there could be some major stitch ups with the positions, and I don't think we'd have the same #1, but most of the same films would probably be on the board. It's not like a lot of new films from the aughts have come out since 2015.

Being said, I'd love to discover some more gems from '00-09. Always up for recommendations. Maybe we could get a thread starting just discussing some films from the aughts and then maybe get around to it?
Crazy how time flies. It's actually been five years since the 2000s poll. So maybe a redo is in order. It's not original idea, but I think it's a good idea. Some participants from the first one aren't active on BEA anymore, while some new folks have joined since who would really like to it (if this is you, speak up). This could mean a redo would look somewhat different. However, avoiding repetition might be better, for it could lead to a redo of all the decades. And I agree with Hayden the results of the first 2000s poll were already pretty good.
badseed wrote:
Ooh ooh ooh! I got it!

Instead of re-doing the 2000s, why don't we do "Another 100 from the 2000s". Every movie on the original top 100 is ineligible. So it's basically 101-200 (though we shouldnt refer to them as that) but that really gives lesser heralded films that we haven't all seen before a chance to show up, thus giving more recommendations and not having a chance of being repetitive. A win-win in my opinion.
Very intriguing idea. I would do it, but I don't know how well that would float with other users. I also like Hayden's proposal of getting a thread going on 2000s films, and see what it leads to.
badseed wrote:
As for non-English films, I don't know. Like, does that include silent non-English films or just foreign language talkies? I worry a list like that will be extremely heavy on particular countries (namely France, Italy and Japan with Sweden, Germany and Russia prominent as well but only being represented by the 1-3 heavyweight directors). I personally haven't seen much from India, Mexico, Spain, China, etc because those countries don't have "undisputed all time great" directors with vast filmographies that everyone praises. Watch Parasite come in #1 though.
If Pedro Almodovar isn't considered an all time great director, he certainly should be in my opinion. Anyway, I like this idea but I think it needs focus. As mentioned, we would have to figure out whether to include silents films. I also think "non-English" is too broad of a topic. Instead of "non-English" how about choosing a specific country or cultural region? That would eliminate the silent film question, and narrow it down a bit. And lastly, yes Parasite would probably destroy everything in a current "non-English" poll. Not very interesting.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/30/2020 23:58
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Ooh ooh ooh! I got it!

I dig it. That could definitely be an option. Hate saying it, but I'd already know our #1 unfortunately. Laughing It might also be an opportunity for a slightly smaller poll. Might cap it at 50. Could be a smidge tricky, but manageable.

Quote:
Soundtracks really does fit in with BEA. Surprised if hasn't been done yet. But is it composed film scores or does it also include stuff featuring mainstream rock tracks a la Easy Rider or anything Tarantino (or even classical/opera that was recorded before and not written for the film like a lot of LVT)? It's kinda hard for me to differentiate the two kinds of soundtracks so I think they should probably be separate lists. Maybe two lists of 50 that are done at the same time?

And I'd vouch for original scores, but some compiled soundtracks truly are art the way they're used...

Quote:

I have a slight issue with the idea too, but it's been brought to me several times. I could see it going over well, but I could also see it being really problematic Laughing. (Also... I could see Parasite coming in #1 as well...). Asian only cinema has been brought forward as well.

As for India, Satyajit Ray is a clear undisputed 'all-time great' director for me. I don't think any other Indian directors have come anywhere close. Definitely check out some of his remastered films if you can. Some new prints are crazy sharp (especially The Hero). As for Mexico AND Spain, Luis Bunuel Mr. Green.

I'd keep 2000s revamp / 2000s "Another 100" / soundtracks / non-English in the pool for the next poll. See what others think.

On another note, I gave The Social Network another watch last night with Sorkin's commentary track, and I definitely put it too low on my personal list. Just makes you appreciate it all that much more. I still find a few things rocky with the pace, but it's a damn good film. Can't believe Finch hasn't had a feature out in 6 years now... he's too good to take that long of a break Crying or Very sad
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/31/2020 00:11
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Crazy how time flies. It's actually been five years since the 2000s poll. So maybe a redo is in order. It's not original idea, but I think it's a good idea. Some participants from the first one aren't active on BEA anymore, while some new folks have joined since who would really like to it (if this is you, speak up). This could mean a redo would look somewhat different. However, avoiding repetition might be better, for it could lead to a redo of all the decades. And I agree with Hayden the results of the first 2000s poll were already pretty good.

Quote:
Very intriguing idea. I would do it, but I don't know how well that would float with other users. I also like Hayden's proposal of getting a thread going on 2000s films, and see what it leads to.

I might just start that thread anyway. Would love to get some recs particularly from the early 2000s. I find those years to be pretty endless.

I'm still not 100% sold on a 2000s revamp for a few reasons, but 5 years does change a lot. Ideally, we would have done the first 2000s list now. Decent amount of time to reflect, etc... like the song poll.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2020 00:45
  • Post subject:
Regarding the likes of Almodovar and Ray, maybe I should have worded it differently. They're definitely all time greats. But compared to Bergman, Fellini, Renoir, and the like I'm not sure if they're quite as famous. Maybe Almodovar since he's recent but due to that recency his "all time" status is questionable, at least generally speaking. Still I'll take that statement back.

Hayden, I kinda wanna go back and figure out for myself what film you're sure would be #1. If it's a no brainer for you it must be an obvious choice but I'm still shocked you seem so certain.

Edit: I looked back. Admittedly I didn't put forth much effort by looking at other lists or anything like that but I have no clue which film missed our original 100 that's a no-brainer for #1 on an alternates list.

Also, yeah I mean if we could get Donnie Darko out of our top 10 and honestly knock No Country for Old Men back a few spots that would be very nice. I still prefer the alternate list idea but 5 years is probably long enough we could still have a different list (and the fun comparison between the two).
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2020 00:56
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Hayden, I kinda wanna go back and figure out for myself what film you're sure would be #1. If it's a no brainer for you it must be an obvious choice but I'm still shocked you seem so certain.
I'm pretty sure Hayden was alluding to earlier in this thread when it was mentioned Memories of Murder didn't make the 2000s list.
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2020 01:30
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
I'm down for 2000s 2.0 but if we do that I'm more than likely going to want to redo every decade list eventually.

It'd be fantastic if enough people participated that we could redo every decade. I mean this in the nicest possible way, badseed, but as things are I don't see the biggest problem as you insisting we do 7 more decade polls in a row. Hope I'm 110% wrong about that.

Hayden wrote:
That's my worry as well. I'm not sure I'd be up for that just right now Laughing.

You're worried that if we held a 2000s 2.0 poll, so many people will participate that badseed and others will clamor for several more decade polls?! That's a problem I wish the BEA film community had. My biggest worry would still be getting enough participation for a 2000s one. Don't know the breakdown of the members who submitted lists of 25 or more for the 2010s poll, but how many of them contributed lists just because they saw the thread or your signature, and not because you pmed them?

When you say you're not "up for that right now," do you mean making a list and watching a majority of the movies you'd want to see for it? Because I'd be doing the rest of the work (unless someone else wanted to), and it would probably run for two months.

badseed wrote:
How many years has it been?

It's been almost exactly 5 years.

Quote:
I'm thinking midway through the 2020s we can do the 2020s as well as a third 2010s list. But we were only what, 3 years between the horror polls and honestly, come 2022 after more extremely acclaimed, perhaps Oscar winning genre films we may want to do another. But for retro lists that couldn't possibly include newer films I feel a little different.

There's only been one 2010s list, though I get that you were including the 2010-2015 poll. I'd much rather do older decades then do a second 2010s list in two years. Though I wasn't a member when you guys did the first round of decade lists, I've participated in 1940s through 2000s decade polls on another site (1940s twice and there's a 1950s one going on right now), so it would be my second go-round too.

Hayden wrote:
Second biggest (well, not "worry") point is that I think our current 00s list is really good.

Not that good without a list from me! Laughing Personally, I don't think a previous list turning out well is a reason for not doing a new poll. The members who participate (assuming we get enough of them) will be drastically different. For me, the most important part of any poll is watching the movies and the discussion; the final list comes in behind those.

CA Dreamin wrote:
As for the next one, these movie polls have been declining in interest/participation for a while...until this one. Indeed, it was pleasantly surprising to see such a huge turnout. I believe it was the combination of two reasons; 1) that it was the 2010s, an easy topic that was fresh on everyone's mind and 2) the extra free time many of us have due to quarantine. So for the next poll to be as remotely successful, I feel it should also be a relatively easy topic, and perhaps should also be done sooner rather than later...before we all go back to work.

Totally agree with all of this. Hayden also pmed a lot of members.

Bottom line is, unless Hayden, CA Dreamin and Applerill and a few other semi-regulars are on board -- or Hayden's on board and I'm given some confidence at least a dozen members will participate, I won't do the poll (or any poll). I'm open to hosting a genre or another kind of poll. Foreign Language sounds interesting, as long as I/we aren't accused of colonialism! Though I'd try to participate in a soundtrack/score poll, for reasons that are hard to put into words, I'm not into hosting it.

Hayden wrote:
Don't worry, everyone will be home again come autumn Laughing (but yeah, I agree).

Laughing Laughing Didn't pick up on this the first time I scanned it.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2020 02:00
  • Post subject:
Memories of Murder. Okay. I could see it possibly happening but I'm guessing that's hyperbole?

No. Not recommending doing back to back to back decades polls, although realistically that would be proper. Honestly though I know I could upgrade/bust out every decade list in quick succession (which with 10 different hosts could all be done at once - now that's hyperbole) but I don't use the time to watch new stuff as much as a lot of you guys because I've seen most everything that's easily accessible and well known and don't have the knowledge/means to find the rest.