Best Films of The Decade (2010-2019)[LIST]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/31/2020 02:02
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Regarding the likes of Almodovar and Ray, maybe I should have worded it differently. They're definitely all time greats. But compared to Bergman, Fellini, Renoir, and the like I'm not sure if they're quite as famous. Maybe Almodovar since he's recent but due to that recency his "all time" status is questionable, at least generally speaking. Still I'll take that statement back.

Hayden, I kinda wanna go back and figure out for myself what film you're sure would be #1. If it's a no brainer for you it must be an obvious choice but I'm still shocked you seem so certain.

Edit: I looked back. Admittedly I didn't put forth much effort by looking at other lists or anything like that but I have no clue which film missed our original 100 that's a no-brainer for #1 on an alternates list.

Also, yeah I mean if we could get Donnie Darko out of our top 10 and honestly knock No Country for Old Men back a few spots that would be very nice. I still prefer the alternate list idea but 5 years is probably long enough we could still have a different list (and the fun comparison between the two).

After thinking about it for a bit, I'm also leaning towards a revamp compared to a 'the next 100'... but I'd definitely enjoy talking about a lot of films that didn't make the original top 100 cut. It's still worth considering though.

And I'll double down on a case for Satyajit Ray Razz He has a crazy stack of Indian and international awards, including a Golden Lion and Golden Bear. A good handful of films in Criterion, an honorary Oscar. Francis Ford Coppola considered him one of his biggest influences, and Scorsese puts him in the same circle as Bergman, Fellini and Kurosawa (Kurosawa agreed). Also, there's a lot of people in India that know him... Anxious just saying. I'd make a case for Ray before Almodovar for Spain (albeit that's a good choice too).

As for the bolded bit, Memories of Murder. It'd be Bong again. It's a little weird it didn't make our top 100. I actually don't think Parasite's too much better than it.

And I completely agree with the last bit. I think we should do a Nightcrawler Vs Donnie Darko off too Laughing (no clue what would win).

Quote:
When you say you're not "up for that right now," do you mean making a list and watching a majority of the movies you'd want to see for it? Because I'd be doing the rest of the work (unless someone else wanted to), and it would probably run for two months.

I wouldn't be up for redoing all our decade lists, that's all. Out of all of them, the 00s definitely would make the most sense to revamp though. It was the first one we did, and it was quite some time ago (as you know). Issue's definitely not participation.

Quote:
I've participated in 1940s through 2000s decade polls on another site (1940s twice and there's a 1950s one going on right now), so it would be my second go-round too

Maybe PM me the site? I wouldn't mind participating (if it's not unwelcome).

Quote:
Bottom line is, unless Hayden, CA Dreamin and Applerill and a few other semi-regulars are on board -- or Hayden's on board and I'm given some confidence at least a dozen members will participate,

And I'm on board Smile

Last edited by Hayden on 05/31/2020 02:27; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/31/2020 02:14
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Memories of Murder. Okay. I could see it possibly happening but I'm guessing that's hyperbole?

No. Not recommending doing back to back to back decades polls, although realistically that would be proper. Honestly though I know I could upgrade/bust out every decade list in quick succession (which with 10 different hosts could all be done at once - now that's hyperbole) but I don't use the time to watch new stuff as much as a lot of you guys because I've seen most everything that's easily accessible and well known and don't have the knowledge/means to find the rest.

Yeah, that film Razz (I also think Mother would be pretty high too)

It's also worth noting accessibility even from 2015 to now in 2020 is completely different, especially high-def material. Things have changed in the last five years when it comes to streaming services. Could be worth considering. Quality versions of films like Yi Yi, Tropical Malady, Cache, Devils On The Doorstep, etc... are a lot easier to find now.

I think I'd be down for a 2000s revamp.
  • Visit poster's website
TodFitz

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2020 03:22
  • Post subject:
I am down for the 2000's Decade, as I did not participate the first time around.
I have only done the recent decade and the horror movies.
Do you have the list/link for the previous 2000-2009 top 100?

Cheers!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/31/2020 03:32
  • Post subject:
TodFitz wrote:
I am down for the 2000's Decade, as I did not participate the first time around.

Cheers!

https://letterboxd.com/besteverfilms/li...the-2000s/

And I might be able to dig up the thread... somewhere... from 5 years ago...

I only just remembered now we had the anomaly of having The Two Towers as our #1 LOTR (I remember why too). That was an interesting standout on there.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2020 03:40
  • Post subject:
TodFitz wrote:

Cheers!
Here you go: https://letterboxd.com/besteverfilms/li...the-2000s/
And good on you to speak up on this, cause I know there a lot of users who participated on the 2010s poll who weren't around for the 2000s one.

If the next poll is 2000s 2.0 or Another 100 From the 2000s, I'm on board. If it's Non-English, I would probably participate, but I would prefer a clearer, more specific topic. And sorry, but not really a fan of a soundtrack poll.
TodFitz

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2020 04:20
  • Post subject:
Thanks for the link!
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2020 11:49
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Maybe PM me the site? I wouldn't mind participating (if it's not unwelcome).

Not at all. It's CriterionForum.com. Can see how my using the phrase "another site" twice gave the impression I was being cagey. Smile Don't know if you're a member already or have ever perused the forum in depth, but you'd fit right in. The decade lists (what they call the polls) usually run about 9 months, so the 1950s one started in November and ends August 2rd. They discourage people submitting lists too far in advance of the deadline -- I don't remember if it's 6 weeks before or what (everyone submits lists by pm; they don't allow people to post their lists till after the final list is up). You have to become a member to see the list threads, though most of the forum is public.

My feelings about decade polls are definitely informed by CriterionForum, where they cycle through all the decades in around 7 years and then just start right over again. They're in the 4th iteration right now and it's my second go-round.

So to me it seems natural to start the decade polls over again after several years have passed. I did feel a little burnout after the 2010s poll came on the heels of the 2019 poll, and a CriterionForum horror poll ended in late April, so I can relate to not wanting to do several polls back to back. My biggest concern would be dwindling participation the farther back we went. Don't think we'd ever make it to the 1940s.

BEA Decade polls:

2000s list: 7/14/2015
1990s poll: 7/18-8/26

4-month gap

1980s poll: 1/1-1/30 - 1 month
1970s poll: 2/1-3/6
1960s poll: 3/10-4/10 - 1 month
1950s poll: 4/15-5/15 - 1 month

2 1/2-month gap

1940s poll: 8/1-9/25

2-month gap (almost)

1930s poll: 11/19-1/15/2017
Pre-1930s poll: 2/19-3/19/2017 - 1 month

So I just listed these to show that most of the polls were breathlessly back to back, but with 3 substantial breaks. The 4-month break alone led to the cycle ending in 2017 instead of 2016. And one month just isn't enough time for a movie-watching deep dive, though I totally understand that the host did what he thought was suitable for the forum at the time, perhaps influenced by hosts before him.

So my idea is to do a 2000s poll with a 2-month viewing period, see how it goes, and then maybe do a 1990s 2-month poll. If that goes pretty well, maybe take a month break, and then keep going. But there may be enough fall-off in participation by that time that that would be as far as we get. I'm all for long breaks in-between, but like CA Dreamin, I'm concerned about a loss of momentum if we take too much time off. Badseed mentioned 2 years -- in 2 years there could be tumbleweeds blowing through all the forums.

Anyway, just throwing out ideas. Haven't had time to process hosting a poll, but I'll probably start the 2000s poll on Friday, unless folks want to do another kind more. We'll see how it goes, and how people feel afterward.

The biggest problem with #101-200 2000s poll idea is that it would end up excluding many of the members who made the 2010s poll such a success. I couldn't do a 200-film list for the 2010s -- after #120 it would start getting watered down. Don't think I could do a good 2000s list -- would have to look at a complete list of films from that decade to say for sure. If I have trouble doing it, the concept might be too much of a hurdle to a majority of the others who participated in the last poll. It's a great idea for people who participated in the first poll, but maybe a little too exclusive.

badseed wrote:
Regarding the likes of Almodovar and Ray, maybe I should have worded it differently. They're definitely all time greats. But compared to Bergman, Fellini, Renoir, and the like I'm not sure if they're quite as famous. Maybe Almodovar since he's recent but due to that recency his "all time" status is questionable, at least generally speaking.

As far as fame goes, I'd say Kurosawa, Bergman, Godard and Fellini (and maybe Truffaut) are the best-known international art film directors. I'd say even Renoir isn't quite as famous as those five any more. I'd put Ray more with Ozu, Mizoguchi and Rossellini, directors who are just as well-respected by film buffs, but have a slightly lower profile to the English-language-speaking general public. I look at Almodovar differently because he came so much later. Certainly one of the most-esteemed contemporary directors. Agree that Bunuel's near the top, probably better-known these days than Renoir.

Hayden wrote:
I actually don't think Parasite's too much better than it.

Agreed. Parasite's a little more accomplished technically -- Memories of Murder was only Bong's second film -- but Memories of Murder's story is so strong, they're almost neck and neck to me.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 05/31/2020 17:45
  • Post subject:
Yeah again I'm down for another crack at the 2000s, be it just a version 2.0 or a seperate 100 (though I would say participation and size of polls for that one might be considerably weaker), don't really know if there's a need for every decade to be revisited but whatever way the wind blows I guess. Anything else I'm open for.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2020 17:52
  • Post subject:
We could always do the classic poll to determine which list has the most interest. Because yeah if we only get a half dozen 1940s list then what's the point? But if perhaps we can retain most of the people who participated here (and as mentioned by others it's unlikely for multiple reasons) it's totally worth re-doing them all. I'm still in a weird, unstable transitional period in life right now but if I can get over that I'd be more than happy to host a few.

Like I said, I take back the Satyajit Ray statement, but primarily because I wasn't even thinking of him but instead the Bollywood films that are booming in certain film circles these days. I agree with PurpleHazel's assessment on his and others' places in hierarchy. But yeah I mean he's like the only Indian director I truly know and love, while the other countries I mentioned all have at least 2. But I feel like even if we do just Japan for example, it's probably gonna be very Kurosawa heavy at the top with a few of Ozu and Mizoguchi's best known films sprinkled in. Ditto for Italy and Fellini supported by Antonioni and Bertolucci (not sure if Pasolini and Rossellini havd a big enough following to compete but I'd love to see it). Honestly if we're to do one country I think France is the best starting point. There are quite a few noteworthy films from long before and long after the golden age of Godard, Truffaut, Resnais and Bresson (one of them would probably have #1 but not sure which one or even which film would be their top entry) so that one could be very competitive.
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2020 23:26
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
Yeah again I'm down for another crack at the 2000s, be it just a version 2.0 or a seperate 100 (though I would say participation and size of polls for that one might be considerably weaker), don't really know if there's a need for every decade to be revisited but whatever way the wind blows I guess.

You're part of the wind! If a few regulars agree with you, than that's the way the wind's blowing.
  • Visit poster's website