Best Films of The Decade (2010-2019)[LIST]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2020 21:44
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Lord of The Rings will be considered three different films AgainstMeAgainstYou, and Kill Bill will be split into Vol 1 and Vol 2. Likewise with the Harry Potter films, etc... I'm not sure anyone counts the three LOTR films as one unit tbh (Kill Bill has been squished into one film since its release at certain points though).

The odd thing with Che is that it's not actually two movies, it's a two-part movie. It was submitted to Cannes under one film (Che (Part I: The Argentine and Part II: Guerilla)), and it seems to have been split simply due to its length.

I'd vouch for Che as a single film. I know it's split into two on IMDb, and the films do have a different aspect ratio, but I think there's a decent argument for it. Criterion basically has it as one film as well (on two discs). It's differentiable from Deathly Hallows Pt1/Pt2, Kill Vill 1/2, The Human Condition, etc. It's almost closer to Gangs of Wasseypur, which is usually considered a single film.

This tracks with how CriterionForum treated those movies. Tarantino originally conceived of Kill Bill as one film of course, but Weinstein talked Tarrantino into splitting it during the editing stage. Haven't seen Che. The aspect ratio change is strange. Does the film jump in time when the aspect ratio changes?
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 06/03/2020 22:17
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Hayden wrote:
Lord of The Rings will be considered three different films AgainstMeAgainstYou, and Kill Bill will be split into Vol 1 and Vol 2. Likewise with the Harry Potter films, etc... I'm not sure anyone counts the three LOTR films as one unit tbh (Kill Bill has been squished into one film since its release at certain points though).

The odd thing with Che is that it's not actually two movies, it's a two-part movie. It was submitted to Cannes under one film (Che (Part I: The Argentine and Part II: Guerilla)), and it seems to have been split simply due to its length.

I'd vouch for Che as a single film. I know it's split into two on IMDb, and the films do have a different aspect ratio, but I think there's a decent argument for it. Criterion basically has it as one film as well (on two discs). It's differentiable from Deathly Hallows Pt1/Pt2, Kill Vill 1/2, The Human Condition, etc. It's almost closer to Gangs of Wasseypur, which is usually considered a single film.

This tracks with how CriterionForum treated those movies. Tarantino originally conceived of Kill Bill as one film of course, but Weinstein talked Tarrantino into splitting it during the editing stage. Haven't seen Che. The aspect ratio change is strange. Does the film jump in time when the aspect ratio changes?

Yeah, it jumps from the end of the revolution in Cuba to his arrival in Bolivia for the attempted revolution there, so a significant amount of time later, although the first part does skip back and forth between the events in Cuba and his famous ambassadorial speeches/interviews, if I remember correctly. Been a few years since I last watched it; it isn't a film that makes for easy, endlessly rewatchable viewing, because it's messy and long and claustrophobia-inducing, but it is also super visceral and authentic feeling, giving a real sense of what the chaos of the situation must have been like. Would like to rewatch before I put together a list, but it'll probably land pretty high on mine.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 06/04/2020 00:14
  • Post subject:
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Cubbieri...0s-movies/

I decided to put together a 2000s list early <3
  • Visit poster's website
TodFitz

United States

• Posted: 06/04/2020 01:21
  • Post subject:
Applerill,
I love the inclusion of May on your list.
It will be high on my list as well.

Cheers!
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 06/04/2020 01:40
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:

Freddy Got Fingered and Jesus Camp right next to each other is incredible. Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/04/2020 01:51
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:

Would you believe me if I said I've never watched In Vanda's Room? I can't find it Laughing. Being said, I got around to Vitalina Varela last week, and I think it's my favourite Costa film. Phenomenal work. If you haven't had a chance to see it, I'm hoping you do soon. It would've placed pretty high on my 2019 list.

(.... I also haven't watched The Best of Youth Anxious ...). Somebody else put a bit of pressure on me to watch it recently too. Might get on that for the poll. It's length has been making me put it off for years.

But yeah, I'm putting some stuff on there in the queue.

Just remember to repost it in the 2000s thread when it's up Wink (I'll add it to the tally now though).
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 06/04/2020 01:58
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:

Has the unthinkable happened- fallen out of love with one sir Paul Blart? Strange times indeed. Anyways great list, some kindred choices to be sure

And yeah the Best of Youth is quite engrossing, i Remember sitting through it during SIFF one year and feeling exhausted, but enjoyed it more in two sittings at home. Def worth checking out if you're still Quart-to-the-E.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 06/04/2020 02:15
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Would you believe me if I said I've never watched In Vanda's Room? I can't find it Laughing.

It's on the Criterion Channel. Don't recommend it, though maybe if you've liked other Pedro Costa films, you'll like it too. I regret not watching Colossal Youth first, because it's supposed to be better and less tedious -- I've been putting off seeing Colossal Youth for years because of sitting through the nearly 3-hour In Vanda's Room. Enough time's passed now that I'll probably get around to checking out Colossal Youth during the poll period.

Last edited by PurpleHazel on 06/04/2020 04:45; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 06/04/2020 03:04
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
Applerill wrote:

Has the unthinkable happened- fallen out of love with one sir Paul Blart?

A C A B
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 06/07/2020 05:40
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Link

They forgot to mention how it took 12 years to make
  • Visit poster's website