Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/23/2020 11:40
  • Post subject:
FlorianJones wrote:
Thanks so much for this Hayden I’m sure it was a lot of work, but it’s really nice having someone around willing to put it together for the community.

Thanks as well Hayden. Looks a great list to dip into and watch during lockdown (and hopefully after). Embarrassed to say there's quite a few there that I've not seen yet, so looking plenty to look forward to...
  • Visit poster's website
pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 05/23/2020 13:41
  • Post subject:
Thanx Hayden man!
I was expecting to see Raw in our list Shocked
I think that movie is plain awesome

I watched our #4, Nightcrawler: insane!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/23/2020 15:35
  • Post subject:
pa wrote:
Thanx Hayden man!
I was expecting to see Raw in our list Shocked
I think that movie is plain awesome

Quote:
Thanks as well Hayden. Looks a great list to dip into and watch during lockdown (and hopefully after). Embarrassed to say there's quite a few there that I've not seen yet, so looking plenty to look forward to...

If anyone else has any films they want to give a shoutout to that didn't make the cut, go ahead. The point of this after all is to share some recommendations and hope people watch some good movies Smile. By all means, now's the time.

I thought Raw would make the list too (it's on my own). I'll say it was definitely in the mix, but never at any point was it in our top 100. It got a last minute boost, but it still needed a bit more. Hoping people get around to seeing that one, especially considering how well horror did Smile

And thanks AM Smile Hoping you find some new favs on there. I'd say the 51-100 range is particularly good if there's some stuff in there you haven't watched.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/23/2020 15:38
  • Post subject:
Now, by no means does everybody have to 'like a film I like', but I'm a little surprised I was the only one to have God Help The Girl on my list. Have most people here just not seen it, or is it unfavourable? Think (or the entire 'only 100 films' gotta cut some off sorta deal).

I figured a quirky musical written by Belle & Sebastian would land a couple BEA lists for sure.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/23/2020 23:21
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Now, by no means does everybody have to 'like a film I like', but I'm a little surprised I was the only one to have God Help The Girl on my list. Have most people here just not seen it, or is it unfavourable? Think (or the entire 'only 100 films' gotta cut some off sorta deal).

I figured a quirky musical written by Belle & Sebastian would land a couple BEA lists for sure.

Wasn't even aware of its existence.

The only film I haven't seen is #80, along with one honorable mention (Wild Tales). This includes the top 10 lists as well.

Curious how many points Beasts of the Southern Wild wound up with. For those of you who included it (Hayden implied I wasn't the only one via PM), I love you.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/24/2020 09:20
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
And thanks AM Smile Hoping you find some new favs on there. I'd say the 51-100 range is particularly good if there's some stuff in there you haven't watched.

Thanks Hayden. Went through list and started off with Nightcrawler last night as not seen it before (found it on Netflix). Wasn't sure what to expect before watching, but what a great film Applause . I'll definitely be scanning through again for something to watch tonight... (may try Raw next if I can find it)
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/24/2020 15:45
  • Post subject:
pa wrote:

Quote:
Nightcrawler last night as not seen it before (found it on Netflix). Wasn't sure what to expect before watching, but what a great film

I know the general consensus is that the film is noticeably high, but it's interesting to learn it could've been just that much higher. If a few more people had watched it beforehand, it could've even been our #2. It seems like one of those crowdpleasers everyone likes.

Quote:
Wasn't even aware of its existence.

The only film I haven't seen is #80, along with one honorable mention (Wild Tales). This includes the top 10 lists as well.

Curious how many points Beasts of the Southern Wild wound up with. For those of you who included it (Hayden implied I wasn't the only one via PM), I love you.

I suppose it wasn't huge, so fair enough. I'm not even 100% sure it made it to cinemas. Definitely a decent flick though, and well deserving of more praise than it got. It'll probably go down as a very minor cult classic. Hoping you give it a watch at some point, but I think you'd enjoy Wild Tales more. It feels like something that's right up your alley. Actually... I think you'd dig Take Shelter too. The later almost has a Lars Von Trier-y-ness to it.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/24/2020 17:18
  • Post subject:
Drool
albummaster wrote:
Thanks Hayden. Went through list and started off with Nightcrawler last night as not seen it before (found it on Netflix). Wasn't sure what to expect before watching, but what a great film Applause . I'll definitely be scanning through again for something to watch tonight... (may try Raw next if I can find it)

Raw has been on Netflix for years. I haven't used it in a few months [edit: that's a lie - havent used it regularly would be more accurate] can't recall my login info so Im unable to confirm that it's still there but if not, ouch.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/24/2020 19:36
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
- Yeah it's impossible to tell how films are going to hold up over time as attitudes and history evolve, feeling it could be a mixed bag for these particular selections. I remember when Boyhood came out and so many praised it as leagues better than anything in the 21st century, but enthusiasm has really seemed to wane for that picture. Even if it still did pretty well on this poll and others, back in 2014 it seemed like it was going to be at the top of nearly every list by decade's end. Whether that's simply becoming too easy a target or the movie's backstory might have made the actual work seem a tad overrated in retrospect, could be both but time hasn't been kind (if not outright harsh) to it with all things considered. Since I started following film beyond childhood favorites in the latter half of the 90s, it's been interesting to see how once massively acclaimed films from the previous decades have fallen by the wayside and other seemingly forgotten ones have seen a resurgance (often thanks to streaming). So, I donno about how Parasite is going to hold up over time, I feel like it's main themes are certainlly going to be universal throughout the 21st century, but it's possible it still has trapped most of it's heat and eventually might get the hype backlash or some less univerally adoring analysis in the future. Again, I loved a lot of it, I thought the ending was a bit dissapointing by kind of being coy with how it viewed the main "Parasites" at the center of the film, I don't think it's unquestionably the greatest of the decade and/or century but I can see how so many are excited by it. Will that be the same in 2030? Only then will we know so not worth dwelling over.
Very valid points. Looking back on Boyhood, it's interesting to see the film's noticeable drop from the mid-decade poll to this poll:
https://letterboxd.com/besteverfilms/li...year/2014/
https://letterboxd.com/besteverfilms/li...year/2014/
It went from #1 film of 2014 and #3 overall, to #7 of 2014 and #27 overall. I admit I was high on Boyhood at the time for how it was produced. But now that I'm over the gimmick, it's easier to point out the film's few lulls, especially in the last 45 minutes. I can't believe I had Boyhood at #3 on my mid-decade list five years ago. It's a great movie but that's a tad too high. It was #22 on my list for this poll which is fairer. One also can't help but notice the rise and fall of The Lego Movie from these lists. At mid-decade, it was #10 overall and #3 of 2014...and didn't even make our Top 100 of 2010s. Boyhood and The Lego Movie demonstrate how films that are fresh on people's minds tend to perform better on the polls. Just like Parasite on this poll. Nobody knows how Parasite will hold up over time, but it'll be interesting to see.

Furthermore, I would not look to letterbox'd Top 250 as a reliable indicator. Take imdb's Top 250 for example. The Dark Knight is still #4, even though its hype and prestige have waned a little bit over the years. That's because imdb users threw the film up the chart with hundreds of thousands of 10/10 ratings. Do imdb users frequently go back and change their ratings? Does imdb stop counting the ratings of users who are no longer active on the site? Probably not, and probably not. I think the same thing is happening on letterbox'd. I wish they had never instituted a Top 250 feature, more evidence the site is slowly turning into another imdb, where younger-generation 'filmbros' (definition #1 on urban dictionary) who rarely/never watch anything older than their birth year will be the dominant voice on that site. Heck, did that already occur? Like imdb's Top 250, Letterbox'd's Top 250 will be gradually taken over by new releases. Thus Parasite's #1 ranking will likely remain for a long time, and it may never leave the Top 10.

CryingGameDahlin wrote:
- Overall I think the 2010s were a bit bigger and more grandiose than that of the 2000s, especially in the art-house, donno if it was necessarily better but more films def caught your eye. Things really are getting more scattershot these days, films being released in multiple platforms and the quantity higher than ever (like music), so making a decision about just what to watch is even becoming more arduous. Persronally I find this decade less personally "formative" than that of the late 90s and 2000s (O.K elder millenial) and I was doing a lot of late catch-up, so this overall assessment about the quality of 2010s in movies is a naive work-in-progress.
Another good point. There's so much being made these days, serving so many interest groups. It's near impossible to keep up with, let alone find time to go back and rewatch something.

CryingGameDahlin wrote:
- Maybe do a revisit of the 2000s sometime soon, to get a look at further cultural retrospect?
If others are down, I'm down.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/25/2020 09:51
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Drool Raw has been on Netflix for years. I haven't used it in a few months [edit: that's a lie - havent used it regularly would be more accurate] can't recall my login info so Im unable to confirm that it's still there but if not, ouch.

thanks, I'll check it out... got sidetracked last night.
  • Visit poster's website