Replace top ranked artist with the next one better

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
TodFitz

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2020 00:35
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart

I think U2’s best album is The Unforgettable Fire, followed by War.
The Smashing Pumpkins debut Gish is great.
If you have not heard them, you should check them out.
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2020 01:12
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Welcoming recs for the crossed out artists that you think might change my mind (you can search my ratings to see if I've heard it).

I know Nebraska is your favorite Springsteen album, so you might like Tom Waits's Mule Variations. It's not quite as folk influenced, but there's some folk/country influence, a lot of the songs are similar to the style of "Time" off of Rain Dogs. And the closing track might be my favorite Waits song.

Though of course if you don't like Waits's voice, this won't change your mind Laughing
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2020 01:25
  • Post subject: Re: Replace top ranked artist with the next one better
baystateoftheart wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:
18 Bruce Springsteen (Dude is boring as hell)
It's funny. Bono talks about how awesome his live energy is and I just don't get it. The heartland thing kinda makes me wanna barf sometimes too. My favorite past time is to make fun of hillbillies, so to commiserate is difficult. Having said all this, the two tracks of Philadelphia and I'm on Fire are... well on fire.

Get a better pastime and stop being classist.

RoundTheBend wrote:
34 My Bloody Valentine
While Loveless is classic/tonally amazing, I also feel like this is a bit of a one album wonder band/pitchfork wankery and for me, a great artist has a great career/massive impact culturally. They feel much more like a subtle web of influence a la "new historicism".

What the hell is that supposed to mean? And one-album wonder? They have an excellent discography to dig into. Check this out if you haven't yet:

EP's 1988-1991 by My Bloody Valentine

RoundTheBend wrote:
35 Fleetwood Mac (Good, but not top 40 material)
My gut reaction to this is soft rock is garbage... which is wrong of me to think, but that's my initial reaction. It's kinda what moms listened to or something lame like this, and I can't get that out of my mind, even if their debut sounds nothing like Tusk or whatevs. Sometimes I enjoy this and sometimes I'm like WTF garbage is this - can get boring and really isn't anything that interesting. White people music at it's worst probably is the best way to put this.

Someone forgot to drink his respect women juice this morning.

I guess you remembered to drink your judgemental jerk juice this morning?

I mean those are like loose opinions, not 100% truths... anyone who believes in 100% truths is lost.

What I mean is if I were to survey moms who grew up during that time period, a high percentage would put that as their favorite album... #fact. So how is that down talking women? Maybe there's a whole bunch of 50 year old women who would agree with me? What the actual fuck are you talking about?

And you don't know my class... so go fuck yourself. I started paying bills at the age of 11. Can you say the same? Calling me prejudiced and yet your the prejudiced prick dumb fuck...

As you can't tell I'm very pissed off at you when normally I really respect you - again man... what the actual fuck are you talking about?

EDIT: I see how you are equating my first sentence with my second one... no it was stream of consciousness and not related at all. Garbage does not equal moms and if that's what you are insinuating what I said I'm so glad you asked before you judged. Incredibly ironic you are judging me for being prejudiced and judgemental when you are doing the same to me.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2020 01:37
  • Post subject:
I don’t get how calling Fleetwood Mac mom-rock is any different than calling The Who dad-rock.
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2020 01:40
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
I don’t get how calling Fleetwood Mac mom-rock is any different than calling The Who dad-rock.

I'm doubling down on my sexism man. Because I'm just this sexist chauvinist misognist racist capitalist pig white male asshole.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2020 02:13
RoundTheBend wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:
It's funny. Bono talks about how awesome his live energy is and I just don't get it. The heartland thing kinda makes me wanna barf sometimes too. My favorite past time is to make fun of hillbillies, so to commiserate is difficult. Having said all this, the two tracks of Philadelphia and I'm on Fire are... well on fire.

RoundTheBend wrote:
34 My Bloody Valentine
While Loveless is classic/tonally amazing, I also feel like this is a bit of a one album wonder band/pitchfork wankery and for me, a great artist has a great career/massive impact culturally. They feel much more like a subtle web of influence a la "new historicism".

What the hell is that supposed to mean? And one-album wonder? They have an excellent discography to dig into. Check this out if you haven't yet:

RoundTheBend wrote:
My gut reaction to this is soft rock is garbage... which is wrong of me to think, but that's my initial reaction. It's kinda what moms listened to or something lame like this, and I can't get that out of my mind, even if their debut sounds nothing like Tusk or whatevs. Sometimes I enjoy this and sometimes I'm like WTF garbage is this - can get boring and really isn't anything that interesting. White people music at it's worst probably is the best way to put this.

I mean those are like loose opinions, not 100% truths... anyone who believes in 100% truths is lost.

What I mean is if I were to survey moms who grew up during that time period, a high percentage would put that as their favorite album... #fact. So how is that down talking women? Maybe there's a whole bunch of 50 year old women who would agree with me? What the actual fuck are you talking about?

And you don't know my class... so go fuck yourself. I started paying bills at the age of 11. Can you say the same? Calling me prejudiced and yet your the prejudiced prick dumb fuck...

As you can't tell I'm very pissed off at you when normally I really respect you - again man... what the actual fuck are you talking about?

EDIT: I see how you are equating my first sentence with my second one... no it was stream of consciousness and not related at all. Garbage does not equal moms and if that's what you are insinuating what I said I'm so glad you asked before you judged. Incredibly ironic you are judging me for being prejudiced and judgemental when you are doing the same to me.

You made some flippant comments about albums so I decided to make some flippant comments back. None of it was particularly serious. The last comment was particularly tongue-in-cheek and a meme reference. I'm genuinely sorry that I upset you. I didn't read the room well given the stressful time we're all going through right now, and that's on me.

No, I did not start paying bills at 11. But for what it's worth, I did grow up in a rural area and did get free and reduced lunch and other forms of government assistance. We can talk more by PM if you want.
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2020 03:11
baystateoftheart wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:
R oundTheBend wrote:

RoundTheBend wrote:
34 My Bloody Valentine

RoundTheBend wrote:

You made some flippant comments about albums so I decided to make some flippant comments back. None of it was particularly serious. The last comment was particularly tongue-in-cheek and a meme reference. I'm genuinely sorry that I upset you. I didn't read the room well given the stressful time we're all going through right now, and that's on me.

No, I did not start paying bills at 11. But for what it's worth, I did grow up in a rural area and did get free and reduced lunch and other forms of government assistance. We can talk more by PM if you want.

Fair enough mate. It felt more like attacks on me than flippant album comments and that's why I flipped out.

I guess I also took that to the 13th floor real quick and that's on me. I apologize for taking that waaay too far. And yes after a 10 hour very stressful working class day, I did not take to your flippant comments the same I wish you had taken mine.

It just pisses me off when people who actually are batting for same team get in dumb fights like this while women are beaten and black people are getting shot and I get called the asshole and looped in with shit like that (or at least it felt that way) when if you knew me anything would be further from the truth.

Good jokes? hehe... just kidding mate. All's well if I didn't read you right either and apologize.

They say a fight starts when one thinks the other swung first.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2020 03:52
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
So I figured I'd try this but not being so judicious in my deletions. Of course that means a lot of other artists I don't care for will move onto the list. Which will require another iteration of deletions. I'm curious how many iterations (additional rounds of deletions) would be required before I get to an acceptable list, This kind of splits the difference between RTB's concept in the OP and just making a personal top 40; the result won't actually be a personal top 40, but rather a list of the BEA highest ranked list artists that I can abide. (for instance, Fleetwood Mac is nowhere near my personal top 40, but in the spirit of finding a nexus between BEAs overall rankings and my tastes, they'd be a keeper).

Round 1:
1 The Beatles
2 Radiohead

3 Pink Floyd
4 David Bowie
5 Bob Dylan

6 Led Zeppelin
7 Arcade Fire
8 The Rolling Stones
9 The Velvet Underground
10 Nirvana
11 The Smiths
12 Kendrick Lamar
13 Neil Young
14 Pixies
15 The Beach Boys

16 Miles Davis
17 Kanye West
18 Bruce Springsteen

19 The Who
20 R.E.M.
21 U2
22 The Clash

23 Jimi Hendrix
24 The Doors
25 Talking Heads
26 King Crimson
27 Sufjan Stevens
28 Neutral Milk Hotel
29 The Cure
30 Joy Division
31 The Strokes
32 Arctic Monkeys
33 The Smashing Pumpkins
34 My Bloody Valentine

35 Fleetwood Mac
36 Metallica
37 Black Sabbath
38 Oasis
39 Weezer

40 Genesis

Round 2:
1 Pink Floyd
2 Led Zeppelin
3 The Rolling Stones
4 Miles Davis
5 The Who
6 Jimi Hendrix
7 The Doors
8 Talking Heads
9 King Crimson
10 Neutral Milk Hotel
11 Fleetwood Mac
12 Metallica
13 Black Sabbath
14 Genesis

15 Bjork
16 Nick Drake

17 The National
18 Wilco
19 Coldplay
20 Van Morrison
21 Pearl Jam
22 Tom Waits
23 Sonic Youth

24 Muse
25 Sigur Ros
26 Prince
27 Tame Impala
28 Flaming Lips
29 Queen

30 John Coltrane
31 Kate Bush
32 Modest Mouse
33 Yes
34Stone Roses
35 Bon Iver

36 Stevie Wonder
37 Red Hot Chili Peppers
38 Animal Collective
39 MIchael Jackson
40 Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

Round 3:
1 Pink Floyd
2 Led Zeppelin
3 The Rolling Stones
4 Miles Davis
5 The Who
6 Jimi Hendrix
7 The Doors
8 Talking Heads
9 King Crimson
10 Neutral Milk Hotel
11 Fleetwood Mac
12 Metallica
13 Black Sabbath
14 Genesis
15 The National
16 Muse
17 Sigur Ros
18 John Coltrane
19 Kate Bush
20 Yes
21 Stevie Wonder
22 Red Hot Chili Peppers
23 Animal Collective

24 Rush
25 LCD Soundsystem
26 Godspeed You! Black Emperor
27 Joni MItchell
28 Queens of the Stone Age
29 Kinks
30 White Stripes
31 Simon and Garfunkel

32 Frank Zappa
33 Vampire Weekend
34 Beach House

35 Fleet Foxes
36 Charles Mingus
37 Depeche Mode
38 Talk Talk
39 Portishead
40 Green Day

Round 4:
1 Pink Floyd
2 Led Zeppelin
3 The Rolling Stones
4 Miles Davis
5 The Who
6 Jimi Hendrix
7 The Doors
8 Talking Heads
9 King Crimson
10 Neutral Milk Hotel
11 Fleetwood Mac
12 Metallica
13 Black Sabbath
14 Genesis
15 The National
16 Muse
17 Sigur Ros
18 John Coltrane
19 Kate Bush
20 Yes
21 Stevie Wonder
22 Red Hot Chili Peppers
23 Animal Collective
24 Rush
25 Godspeed You! Black Emperor
26 Joni MItchell
27 Kinks
38 Frank Zappa
29 Fleet Foxes
30 Charles Mingus

31 Frank Ocean
32 Blur

33 Television
34 AC/DC
35 Tool
36 Elliot Smith
37 Imterpol

38 Can
39 Leonard Cohen
40 Gorillaz

Round 5: (no new love)
1 Pink Floyd
2 Led Zeppelin
3 The Rolling Stones
4 Miles Davis
5 The Who
6 Jimi Hendrix
7 The Doors
8 Talking Heads
9 King Crimson
10 Neutral Milk Hotel
11 Fleetwood Mac
12 Metallica
13 Black Sabbath
14 Genesis
15 The National
16 Muse
17 Sigur Ros
18 John Coltrane
19 Kate Bush
20 Yes
21 Stevie Wonder
22 Red Hot Chili Peppers
23 Animal Collective
24 Rush
26 Joni MItchell
27 Kinks
38 Frank Zappa
29 Fleet Foxes
30 Charles Mingus
31 Television
32 AC/DC
33 Tool
34 Can
35 Gorillaz

36 Daft Punk
37 Marvin Gaye
38 Beck
39 Pavement
40 Lou Reed

Round 6: (no new love)
1 Pink Floyd
2 Led Zeppelin
3 The Rolling Stones
4 Miles Davis
5 The Who
6 Jimi Hendrix
7 The Doors
8 Talking Heads
9 King Crimson
10 Neutral Milk Hotel
11 Fleetwood Mac
12 Metallica
13 Black Sabbath
14 Genesis
15 The National
16 Muse
17 Sigur Ros
18 John Coltrane
19 Kate Bush
20 Yes
21 Stevie Wonder
22 Red Hot Chili Peppers
23 Animal Collective
24 Rush
26 Joni MItchell
27 Kinks
38 Frank Zappa
29 Fleet Foxes
30 Charles Mingus
31 Television
32 AC/DC
33 Tool
34 Can
35 Gorillaz

36 Belle and Sebastian
37 Jeff Buckley
38 Brian Eno
39 Nine Inch Nails

40 Swans

Round 7: (no new love)
1 Pink Floyd
2 Led Zeppelin
3 The Rolling Stones
4 Miles Davis
5 The Who
6 Jimi Hendrix
7 The Doors
8 Talking Heads
9 King Crimson
10 Neutral Milk Hotel
11 Fleetwood Mac
12 Metallica
13 Black Sabbath
14 Genesis
15 The National
16 Muse
17 Sigur Ros
18 John Coltrane
19 Kate Bush
20 Yes
21 Stevie Wonder
22 Red Hot Chili Peppers
23 Animal Collective
24 Rush
26 Joni MItchell
27 Kinks
38 Frank Zappa
29 Fleet Foxes
30 Charles Mingus
31 Television
32 AC/DC
33 Tool
34 Can
35 Gorillaz
36 Swans
37 Elvis Costello
38 Love
39 Iron Maiden
40 PJ Harvey

Woah... this is intense and interesting choices on what you delete and keep (like juxtaposing say keeping RHCP against maybe like Beck or LCD Soundsystem. I know they aren't the same, but would still be interested in hearing the why on maybe some of those choices (all might be even more hardcore a challenge than what you already did here... and no, bravo on digging this deep like other did too. I probably got lazy and should have done the same.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2020 03:53
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
I don't always equate artists with bands. Sometimes it's only one person who's the artist.

Ain't this the truth.

Care to elaborate?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2020 03:56
  • Post subject:
TodFitz wrote:

Final 40
1 Pink Floyd
2 David Bowie
3 Led Zeppelin
4 The Smiths
5 Pixies
6 Miles Davis
7 U2
8 Jimi Hendrix
9 The Doors
10 Talking Heads
11 The Cure
12 Joy Division
13 The Smashing Pumpkins
14 My Bloody Valentine
15 Black Sabbath
16 Genesis
17 Sonic Youth
18 John Coltrane
19 Kate Bush
20 Red Hot Chili Peppers
21 Rush
22 Godspeed You! Black Emperor
23 Depeche Mode
24 Talk Talk
25 AC/DC
26 Tool
27 Interpol
28 Nine Inch Nails
29 Elvis Costello
30 Iron Maiden
31 PJ Harvey
32 Slowdive
33 New Order
34 Peter Gabriel
35 Ramones
36 Cocteau Twins
37 Alice In Chains
38 Roxy Music
39 The Police
40 Soundgarden

Interesting last bit there - would love to hear the why? I mean if it's as simple as "because" that's cool too. It's like unconditional love... there doesn't need to be a reason, right?
  • Visit poster's website