Pat Metheny

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Yeshawk

• Posted: 05/20/2020 21:27
  • Post subject: Pat Metheny
Hi, just been listening to Pat Metheny, Tokyo Day Trip EP. Don't know anything about him, and googling stumbled upon this web site. Anybody have any recommendations? I'm a big fan of John McLaughlin and I think I might like more of Pat's music on that basis.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2020 01:10
  • Post subject:
Hopefully Fischman will see this and give some recs. You'll be fast friends.

Here would be one.

As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Fall... Lyle Mays
  • Visit poster's website
Yeshawk

• Posted: 05/21/2020 06:12
  • Post subject:
Very Happy thanks for the swift reply!
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2020 07:05
  • Post subject: Re: Pat Metheny
Yeshawk wrote:
Hi, just been listening to Pat Metheny, Tokyo Day Trip EP. I'm a big fan of John McLaughlin and I think I might like more of Pat's music on that basis.

Hi, Tokyo Day Trip's a live EP from the Metheny jazz guitar trio that recorded the studio album Day Trip (with Antonio Sanchez, the drummer on the Birdman soundtrack). Metheny has recorded in a pretty remarkable range of jazz-related styles, but Day Trip falls into the more straight-ahead jazz side of his discography. Other trio albums in this vein are: Trio 99>00 (2000), Trio: Live (2000; live double CD of the group) and Question and Answer (1989).

HOWEVER... Tokyo Day Trip is kind of unique because it's a collection of live tracks that were bonus tracks on other CDs (some only released in Japan?), that fans had been requesting to get a domestic or official (?) release (this trio toured for years before releasing Day Trip). Metheny plays sitar on "Tromso," the first track, which is very unusual, though he's played some exotic stringed instruments like a 48-string guitar before. Metheny plays loud, fast jazz-rock on the third track, "Black Arm & Blackcharge." I've never heard Metheny play rocked-out jazz fusion like this before, except on one bootleg (he plays a lot of noisy rock-ish guitar on the album Zero Tolerance for Silence, but it's probably his worst album by a long shot).

That track "Black Arm & Blackcharge" is probably the closest I've heard Metheny come to the Mahavishnu Orchestra. His most jazz-rock-like album is his first album, Bright Size Life, but it's more jazz-oriented and not nearly as loud and fast as early Mahavishnu Orchestra. The early Pat Metheny Group albums -- Pat Metheny Group (his second album) and American Garage -- are basically jazz-rock, but they're a fairly laid-back, melodic kind of jazz fusion. If you're looking for the more fusion side of Metheny, I can highly recommend Bright Size Life (with Jaco Pastorius), American Garage and Pat Metheny Group.

Some of my favorite albums of his are the straight-ahead jazz guitar trio albums, like Trio 99>00 and Trio: Live, but there's no fusion on them.

Thanks for turning me onto Tokyo Day Trip! (I've heard Day Trip but not the EP.) "Black Arm & Blackcharge" and "Traveling Fast" are as good as any Metheny I've heard.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2020 15:20
  • Post subject:
If you've done any research, you've noticed that Pat Metheny has a HUGE catalog. Finding a single entry point or even a digestible starter kit is pretty tough. Beyond just the sheer volume of output, he's covers a ton of variety/styles/subgnres, each of which may or may not appeal to any particular individual.

PurpleHazel is spot on that Metheny's debut, "Bright Size Life" is the closest thing to classic fusion and therefore the most Mahavishnu-like. It also benefits from the bonus of having excellent contribution from the great Jaco Pastorius on bass. "American Garage" is also a great selection given your preferences.

If you're interested in more recent material, I would point you to Kin (2014). I also think very highly of his collaboration with another great jazz/fusion guitarist, John Scofield, "I Can See Your House from Here."

Which reminds me.... if you're liking McLaughlin and Metheny, and are not yet familiar with John Scofield, you need to check him out next.
  • Visit poster's website
Yeshawk

• Posted: 05/22/2020 11:58
  • Post subject:
Wow thanks for the great feedback! I will give a couple of your suggestions a go.
  • Visit poster's website
pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 05/22/2020 12:16
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
PurpleHazel is spot on that Metheny's debut, "Bright Size Life" is the closest thing to classic fusion...

Bright Size Life is an amazing album:

Bright Size Life by Pat Metheny
  • Visit poster's website
Yeshawk

• Posted: 05/22/2020 15:02
  • Post subject:
Looks like that's my next one then
  • Visit poster's website
StefanR10
Music Genius

Germany

• Posted: 05/23/2020 15:34
  • Post subject:
If you like Pat then you maybe like Jaco Pastorius with Weather Report or Chick Corea. By the way i like Jaco Pastorius very much he was one of the best bass players.
  • Visit poster's website
Yeshawk

• Posted: 05/23/2020 21:42
  • Post subject:
I certainly admire them, I've had a few Weather Report albums, but I prefer Return to Forever.
  • Visit poster's website