Best Films of The 2000s [Poll][Dead]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/05/2020 14:37
  • Post subject:
Awesome, thanks jnfbn and pa Smile Really like both your lists. Should be able to tally them in one sec.

Quote:
Asian cinema was at its peak in that decade wasn't it!

I was about to say 'yeah, it really was' or something like that, but then I remembered the 60s... and the 50s... and hell, even the 90s were amazing. Maybe the 00s were just the decade western societies really started getting into Asian cinema. Non-Japanese Asian cinema definitely had a boom in the late-90s through 2000s though.

EDIT: Pa, you have The Curious Case of Benjamin Button on there twice, so I've tacked V For Vendetta on at #100. If there's any issue with that, let me know.

Last edited by Hayden on 08/05/2020 15:12; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/05/2020 14:40
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:

Dude, the writing on Mean Girls is sharp.

Two months later, finally got around to it.

Yeah, Fey's script is fantastic. That was insanely better than I thought it would be.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/05/2020 15:50
  • Post subject:
I was hoping to revisit Maddin's Brand Upon the Brain before the deadline but it's not showing right now on my beloved criterion channel, and doesn't seem to be anywhere else (without a full purchase of the movie). Does anyone know a site that it can be watched on right now legally -- whether free or like 5 bucks or less?
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/05/2020 17:00
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
I was hoping to revisit Maddin's Brand Upon the Brain before the deadline but it's not showing right now on my beloved criterion channel, and doesn't seem to be anywhere else (without a full purchase of the movie). Does anyone know a site that it can be watched on right now legally -- whether free or like 5 bucks or less?

Coming up blank Sad

Maddin's films are hard to find at the best of times.
  • Visit poster's website
jnfbn

Turkey

• Posted: 08/05/2020 20:04
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

I was about to say 'yeah, it really was' or something like that, but then I remembered the 60s... and the 50s... and hell, even the 90s were amazing. Maybe the 00s were just the decade western societies really started getting into Asian cinema. Non-Japanese Asian cinema definitely had a boom in the late-90s through 2000s though.

Yeah i was talking about non-japanese, and you are absolutely right about 50s/60s japanese cinema as well as western attention to Asian cinema in the 2000s. Like you said, Asian cinema had a boom in the 90s and i think its best results came in early 2000s, Films like Yi Yi and In the Mood for Love are storytelling at its best, along with other brilliant films from Thailand, Taiwan and South Korea.
AfterHours wrote:

Hayden wrote:
Maddin's films are hard to find at the best of times.

Yess Maddin's films are almost impossible to find, luckly all of his films have been frequent guests in festivals here in Istanbul, and university film libraries.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2020 18:32
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Actually, I'd argue it's almost a fact that the 2000s are better than the 2010s. It's hard for any film from the 2010s to go toe to toe with There Will Be Blood, Spirited Away and In the Mood for Love.
Hmm. I would agree the 2000s was a more top-heavy decade. But better? Hard to say.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/06/2020 20:04
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Actually, I'd argue it's almost a fact that the 2000s are better than the 2010s. It's hard for any film from the 2010s to go toe to toe with There Will Be Blood, Spirited Away and In the Mood for Love.
Hmm. I would agree the 2000s was a more top-heavy decade. But better? Hard to say.

Even based on the numbers I have on the board, I could almost statistically say the 2000s were more 'top-heavy'. The films floating about the top are all neck-and-neck, but after the top 15 or so there's a bit of a drop.

But depth? 2010s had more depth. I think there's more 'good' films in the 2010s than the 2000s, but possibly more 'great' films in the 2000s than the 2010s. There's this gap between 2003-2005 that showcases that the most. To each their own though. I'm still digging through the decade.

3 days left. Whipping up posters for give-or-take the 15 films at the top. Figure the top 10s in the bunch.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 08/06/2020 22:05
  • Post subject:
For me I'd say the 2000s has more depth than I remember and it certainly is more "deep" than the 2010s while I think art movements in the 2010s are more eclectic and diverse.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/07/2020 00:11
  • Post subject:
@ Hayden and jfnbn

Ok, damn. Doubt Ill get to it in time. I had a hunch it could move up, but I also havent seen it in years so maybe/maybe not
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 08/07/2020 06:26
  • Post subject:
The greater depth of the 2010s could simply be a numbers game. There were more films produced in that decade so consequently there were more 'good' films...and more crap at the same time. I don't think I can answer which decade was better, but I will say more films from the 2000s have stuck with me.
  • Visit poster's website