Best Films of The 2000s [Poll][Dead]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 08/07/2020 07:17
  • Post subject:
There were good and even sometimes great things to be found in both decades, can matter both on interest and age-context. In many ways the 2010s continued a lot of the good (lots of really strong documentaries and general special interest movies, greater representation from the east and an overall more divderse outlook than the 20th century) and the bad (the heavy-handed gotta-mean-something releases, the increasingly homogenization of even so-called "indie" movies and the brand-name-ization as well as hand-me-down laziness of old film series being ressurected that dominated much of the most successful releases of each decade) trends from the previous decade, to both similar but occassionally more grandiose effect. The 2000s have had more time for the already-acclaimed films to cement their classic status and others to grow their cult fanbase, so for now it has the added perspective of time. Probably should get a better read on the '10s in a few years time. For me personally I can't really judge since I've seen so much more from the 2000s than the 2010s, though as formative as the aughties were personally I would never consider it the best time for film (also perhaps by the increased competition from other filmed mediums), but still a lot of good movies that perhaps scratched more individual itches than ever before.

Anyhoo, should get my dumb list in sometime tommorrow night
  • Visit poster's website
BozoTyrannus

Guyana

• Posted: 08/07/2020 15:06
  • Post subject:
So for a guy who has shamefully never seen a Guy Maddin film, what would be a good start point?
And make Sean Pean
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/07/2020 15:32
  • Post subject:
BozoTyrannus wrote:
So for a guy who has shamefully never seen a Guy Maddin film, what would be a good start point?

Oddly enough, perhaps a short. The Heart of the World is easy to find, and only about 6 minutes long. Full length? Can't go wrong with My Winnipeg. Just don't start with Keyhole.

I've never watched Cowards Bend the Knee or The Saddest Music In The World. Can't speak on those.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 08/07/2020 16:14
  • Post subject:
Hayden I do have a list that I had started to make on letterboxd if you want to count it. It's not nearly finished, but I'm probably not getting around to it today.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/07/2020 16:27
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Hayden I do have a list that I had started to make on letterboxd if you want to count it. It's not nearly finished, but I'm probably not getting around to it today.

Found it. I'll tally it nonetheless, but I'm hoping you get around to finishing it tomorrow Smile Try to tack on a few more films no matter what.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 08/07/2020 16:28
  • Post subject:
cestuneblague wrote:
There were good and even sometimes great things to be found in both decades, can matter both on interest and age-context. In many ways the 2010s continued a lot of the good (lots of really strong documentaries and general special interest movies, greater representation from the east and an overall more divderse outlook than the 20th century) and the bad (the heavy-handed gotta-mean-something releases, the increasingly homogenization of even so-called "indie" movies and the brand-name-ization as well as hand-me-down laziness of old film series being ressurected that dominated much of the most successful releases of each decade) trends from the previous decade, to both similar but occassionally more grandiose effect. The 2000s have had more time for the already-acclaimed films to cement their classic status and others to grow their cult fanbase, so for now it has the added perspective of time. Probably should get a better read on the '10s in a few years time. For me personally I can't really judge since I've seen so much more from the 2000s than the 2010s, though as formative as the aughties were personally I would never consider it the best time for film (also perhaps by the increased competition from other filmed mediums), but still a lot of good movies that perhaps scratched more individual itches than ever before.
I agree here. Many things we've come to love or hate about the 2010s (the strength of documentaries, the franchise-building, the tentpole blockbusters, the overall health of the indie and international scenes) stemmed from the 2000s. The 2010s deserve credit for giving opportunities to films and filmmakers that may not have had the green light in the previous decade. Nevertheless, I feel filmmakers in the 2010s more often played it safe. Does anyone else get that vibe?

As for the numbers, I've seen nearly the same number of films from both decades (the 2010s lead by only 15-20) so I guess that makes me a little more objective than the folks who've seen a much larger number in one decade than the other. It's still subjective though, for I still need to see many things from both decades and of course it's based on opinion. Even so, it's a tough call and I can't say one way or the other. But I will repeat I think the 2000s had more masterpieces, and more films from the 2000s have stuck with me, but that could be a generational thing.

Anyway I'm gonna watch one more title this morning, then get to work on my list. Should be up later today.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 08/07/2020 17:28
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Found it. I'll tally it nonetheless, but I'm hoping you get around to finishing it tomorrow Smile Try to tack on a few more films no matter what.

Put some more on there. I might add some more by tomorrow. IDK. I've goot a lot of movies watched, but I realized that I don't really like a lot of them anymore Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/07/2020 17:58
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Put some more on there. I might add some more by tomorrow. IDK. I've goot a lot of movies watched, but I realized that I don't really like a lot of them anymore Very Happy

Updated Smile Every point counts. Just adding those 20 films to your list changed our overall #1.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 08/07/2020 22:45
  • Post subject:
I did my full list on Letterboxd and then the power went out before I saved it, sighs, I'll be done soon, maybe...

• Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/07/2020 23:15
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
I did my full list on Letterboxd and then the power went out before I saved it, sighs, I'll be done soon, maybe...

Laughing

Not power, but I've lost internet a few times as that happens... (with BEA as well).

Looking forward to it Patman.
  • Visit poster's website