Album of the day (#3471): The Wall by Pink Floyd

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Yann

France

• Posted: 06/18/2020 16:15
  • Post subject:
babyBlueSedan wrote:
I never really sympathize with the narrator or feel for them. It's just a story, and a shallow one at that .
It's more a concept album than a rock opera (or in-between). It's especially the song "The Trial", with its Kurt Weill style, that leaves an operatic impression.
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/18/2020 16:56
  • Post subject:
I think it's a marvellous album
Now she's just died the track with most significance is Vera

Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn??

As well as that though Comfortably Numb, Mother and Goodbye Blue Sky are highlights for me.
  • Visit poster's website
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 06/18/2020 19:18
  • Post subject:
I think the band’s reputation holds this up in the clouds more than the quality of the music within. There are some good songs, I guess. This is an unpopular pick, I’m sure, but the track I listen to the most is “The Trial”.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 06/19/2020 05:41
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
Maybe I'm confusing pretentiousness with cinematic bombast, but it is a rock opera. Some of that might be necessary.

I'll always give equal credit to The Wall and DSOTM for getting me into Floyd and prog, even though WYEH is a mile ahead of The Wall.

Don't get me wrong, I feel like The Wall is a very good entry-level album for the genre, I just don't think it's a great album. It's mediocre-to-fine for me, which doesn't make it bad or garbage. I seem to dislike Animals and WYWH more due to those albums having the same issues on top of being badly paced, almost masturbatory instrumentation and innate smugness. Pink Floyd does not understand the intellectual themes and subtext they are writing songs around as well as they think they are.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/19/2020 06:06
  • Post subject:
It's more like a rock-form of ambient. Much of Pink Floyd's essence comes from getting lost in the sound.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 06/19/2020 06:54
  • Post subject:
I still like many songs from The Wall, but none of them transcend. I think I like it more than some critics who share my view.
  • Visit poster's website
manurock

Spain

• Posted: 06/19/2020 16:04
  • Post subject:
[quote="Gowi"]
Spyglass wrote:
Pink Floyd does not understand the intellectual themes and subtext they are writing songs around as well as they think they are.

Lucikly some enlightened mind like yours will explain those concepts to a generally-ignored band like them Wink

Personally, I've never loved The wall. The story is nice and it has some good musical moments but I tend to prefer albums which rely more on the music and were composed by the band as a whole instead of by, mostly, only one of the creative minds (in this case, Waters). On the other hand, Waters' 2014 The Wall documentary film sort of reconciled me with this album.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/19/2020 16:08
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
I still like many songs from The Wall, but none of them transcend. I think I like it more than some critics who share my view.

You seem to be defending yourself a lot. I'm just here for the conversation, so you don't need to worry. I already know that a lot of people think The Wall's overrated, and a part of that makes me glad because if I had to live in a universe where everyone shared my opinion, live would be drastically dull. I can share a similar opinion about both Animals and Meddle, but I still think they're fantastic on their own. To me, albums have specifics that need to be mastered, and if they're properly done they can be incredible.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=58525

The first five albums on this Ranking Pink Floyd chart of mine are stunning. Unfortunately, my top 3 Floyd albums (discarding Pulse) are in sync with BEA's top 3, which a part of me hates due to my love of originality. I find a chart with Saucerful in the top three an infinitely more intereting chart than my ranking. On RYM it's quite different. The top two are the same, but Animals, Meddle and Piper reign over The Wall, likely because the cinematic approach was the beginning of a "new direction," and you know how fans can overreact towards new directions. I'm glad to call myself a person that never really minded a new direction.
StefanR10
Music Genius

Germany

• Posted: 06/19/2020 16:13
  • Post subject:
I like The Wall because it has one of my favorite song from Pink Floyd: Another Brick In The Wall. I understand why somebody likely more Dark Side of The Moon or WYWH. But this is a good album.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/21/2020 18:30
  • Post subject:
I feel like those who have ties to family who lived through WW2 DO NOT see it as pretentiousness, but reality.

I think we had a similar thread earlier about the amount of cheese someone is willing to deal with - it's all in the eye of the beholder. The ability to connect to the feelings to be true or not. Uncanny valley is an interesting concept to go look up about art if you are less familiar with it.

The sounds of airplanes and bombs and shit lifestyle someone has to live through post-war is a real thing. It's not pretentious. It actually is a pivotal work of art representing a generation that was "forced" to follow rules - and a society that reinforced rule following and the generation that uprooted it... as well... amongst other things.

I suppose you could call the methodology pretentious, but I didn't feel that way - I was able to relate to the bombastic features to represent such evil parts of society and the results of such living (numb).
  • Visit poster's website