Album of the day (#3471): The Wall by Pink Floyd

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/24/2020 05:17
  • Post subject:
Glad to see that you've kissed and made up.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 06/24/2020 07:24
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
Glad to see that you've kissed and made up.

• Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/24/2020 13:07
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:

I guess the joke was a bit tongue-in-cheek.
911Turbo

Canada

• Posted: 06/26/2020 17:13
  • Post subject:
Somewhat surprised by some comments.

This album was created by Pink Floyd. All members of the band contributed in a big way to this production and past productions. Yes roger waters was the main composer (he was also a main ingredient in dark side of the moon and animals and every other Floyd album) but Gilmour, Mason and Wright were involved, engaged, participated in. Lets not pretend that “ONLY” Roger Waters was the key player.

This album was cutting edge. It was enormously needed at a time when disco and electronic sounding bands dominated the air space ( ie Thompson twins, new order etc..).

There are so many great songs: mother, comfortably numb, another brick in the wall (who could have ever imagined a song like this other than Floyd). How about the lesser played songs – Hey you, run like hell (this song should be the back drop for all those antifa members destroying properties and causing havoc), or young lust (oh I need a dirty woman!).

Pink Floyd successfully experimented with many different presentations. They also created a lot of garbage. Most musicians do.
But this album is extoradinary. It’s a classic.

I especially enjoy how they eliminated the dead space between songs. They filled it up with unusual and interesting phrases. “if you don’t eat your meat how can you have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat or meat” or “ are these all your guitars?”, or the sound of bombers flying overhead or “the operator calling the usa and the person hangs up on them.”

Personally I don’t compare this album to other Floyd albums. Each one is unique and stands on its own.
A true masterpiece.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 06/26/2020 20:05
  • Post subject:
911Turbo wrote:
I especially enjoy how they eliminated the dead space between songs. They filled it up with unusual and interesting phrases. “if you don’t eat your meat how can you have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat or meat” or “ are these all your guitars?”, or the sound of bombers flying overhead or “the operator calling the usa and the person hangs up on them.”

Yes, I love this too, and also film extracts:

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
manurock

Spain

• Posted: 06/27/2020 08:47
  • Post subject:
@911Turbo I agree with everything you say but I have to disagree on one point (which I think you wrote in part because of my comment).

911Turbo wrote:

This album was created by Pink Floyd. All members of the band contributed in a big way to this production and past productions. Yes roger waters was the main composer (he was also a main ingredient in dark side of the moon and animals and every other Floyd album) but Gilmour, Mason and Wright were involved, engaged, participated in. Lets not pretend that “ONLY” Roger Waters was the key player.

The concept of the album was written by Waters while Gilmour and Wright were recording their solo albums in France. The album is 80 minutes long. The songs are all composed by Roger Waters except "Young lust", "Comfortably Numb" and "Run like hell", which were written by Waters and Gilmour (and "The trial", written by Waters and Ezrin). The three songs add up to 14 minutes. That's less than 1/5 of the album. So, if you divide by 2, that means that Gilmour's writing contribution was 1/10. Unlike in DSOM, Wright didn't write a single piece. In the middle of the recording sessions, he was fired by Waters and ended up as a studio musician in the Wall. Of course Pink Floyd is not Waters, but this album was the closest to a solo artist album upto that point in the band's trajectory, and I feel that it makes it less organic than their previous output (while still being fantastic). Of course that's my opinion, I understand the reasons why some people love it so much.
  • Visit poster's website
911Turbo

Canada

• Posted: 06/28/2020 17:01
  • Post subject:
thankyou for your clarity.
im not attacking you or challenging your historical data of the facts.
you provided a concise list -- i've read several articles that support your statements.

here are my personal thoughts: someone has to lead a band or have a strong influence on other band members.
as we know, in this case, roger waters wants to lead.
sometimes the best productive relationship are hostile. sometimes friendly relationships are productive.
there are no guarantees how people deal with one another and their reactions.
my point is the band has to go in a certain direction musically. was it always bread and roses - no it wasnt.
people got fired, individuals were outcast, etc... but i believe these interactions/aura is what made pink floyd so amazing.
in the end they stayed together. they recognized each others assets and downfalls.
pink floyd could not be the band they were without the saga played out through out the years.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 06/29/2020 11:26
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
It's more a concept album than a rock opera (or in-between). It's especially the song "The Trial", with its Kurt Weill style, that leaves an operatic impression.

I agree with this. It doesn't hold together particularly well as a narrative but the songs work well conceptually as little mini suites.

I particularly like LP1 Side 1 when Pink is growing up. Great songs and concepts. Side 2 I think is less relatable and not so enjoyable musically (rock star hedonism). Side 3 (where he is behind the wall) picks things up but takes some time to get going. Comfortably Numb is an all timer. Side 4 is really good- with Pink become a sort of fascist. Run for your life sounds like they just invented 80s stadium rock. It's surprising how much some of the other stuff sounds like The Beach Boys/Supertramp.

All in all pretty great. I admire the investment in such an ambitious project even though I think it's a little uneven.
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2020 03:52
  • Post subject:
manurock wrote:

Of course Pink Floyd is not Waters, but this album was the closest to a solo artist album upto that point in the band's trajectory, and I feel that it makes it less organic than their previous output (while still being fantastic). Of course that's my opinion, I understand the reasons why some people love it so much.

This is pretty much exactly how I've felt about the Wall.