Album of the day (#3471): The Wall by Pink Floyd

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
Spyglass
Holier than "X_Person"


Gender: Male
Location: In somebody's house. Don't remember who's.
United States

  • #31
  • Posted: 06/23/2020 14:46
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
One man said, "I feel like this is the case," not saying that it definitely is the case. Another man disagrees because of his heritage. Let's not turn this into a fight.
_________________
I'm a right-brained person, with a little left on the side.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=58336
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
Daydreamer





  • #32
  • Posted: 06/23/2020 16:16
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
Back to the album.

I absolutely and wholeheartedly love this album. It is probably the only concept album/rock opera where I actually care about the story. It's the confession of a deeply troubled individual and the reason I buy into it is because Roger Waters actually is a troubled, flawed character and it shows on the album. Musically it's obviously a step below previous three albums, but the story and the emotion it carries makes up for it. Some of Waters' best lyrical work is on this album.

On the other hand, it's so pompeus, theatrical and over the top that I can totally understand someone not liking it and calling it pretentious, which it definitely is, but I love it none the less.
_________________
All time

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
LedZep



Gender: Male
Croatia (Hrvatska)

  • #33
  • Posted: 06/23/2020 16:35
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
Probably the most overrated Pink Floyd album. It's not in my top 5, but it's still pretty good, especially the live performances throughout the years. I really love the story, and several standout moments that aren't often mentioned like The Thin Ice, Don't Leave Me Now, Goodbye Blue Sky and In The Flesh. Of course, Run Like Hell, Mother, Hey You and the two hits are fantastic as well. Think I've played over half of these songs on guitar at one point. The more I think of the highlights, the more I remember how good this is. Guess I'm still a sucker for Floyd albums after all this time Laughing
_________________
2010s

Metal albums not in BEA top 10000
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
RoundTheBend
These, Antithese, Synthese



Location: Ground Control
United States

  • #34
  • Posted: 06/24/2020 02:21
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
Gowi wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Gowi wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:
I feel like those who have ties to family who lived through WW2 DO NOT see it as pretentiousness, but reality.

Excuse me?


You are only quoting part of what I stated and you are excused Smile.

What's your point?

That I'm literally one of the few [regular] members of BEA who had direct family members die in the Holocaust? Do you think the Polish flag is for show? What you just implied is wholly disingenuous AND offensive.


Woah dude you totally read that wrong.

What does The Wall have to do with the Holocaust? What does it have to do with those who survived it? If you can answer those two questions, then you know very well I had zero intention to talk about the holocaust...

Like zero intent.

By the way I recommend anyone who has access to the city of Los Angeles go to the Simon Wiesenthal Museum of Tolerance (I hope it's still there... it's been over a decade since I've been able to go).
_________________
20th Century Classical
RYM
last.fm
Spotify Playlists
Discogs
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
RoundTheBend
These, Antithese, Synthese



Location: Ground Control
United States

  • #35
  • Posted: 06/24/2020 02:52
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
RockyRaccoon wrote:
I wouldn't call it that. The math is pretty simple - it was said that those who have ties to family who lived through WW2 don't see The Wall as pretentiousness, but reality. Gowi sees The Wall as pretentiousness. Gowi has real family ties to WW2. Therefore the implication is that his opinion is not legitimate.

So, it's easy to see why that would offend him.


That was not my intent at all.

My apologies to anyone who thought I would even think such a thing. I'm sorry that your family was terrorized to the point that in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th generation, it still is something that haunts you even if the intent wasn't meant. I have a similar, yet completely, different feeling with a Mormon heritage. Things people don't even mean today still effect me, even if I don't believe it at all. I'll just speak for me, I feel it's my duty to choose not to be offended.

For anyone who might actually query what I meant instead of stab me in the back without asking, is that I was talking about people in London or Munich who had to wake up in the middle of the night to bombs and airplanes like are recorded in the album. And that those sounds still haunt them into their death - waking up in the middle of the night screaming mommy help me as if they are children being tormented by those sounds. Or my grandfather who would wake up in the middle of the night thinking his body was burning.

There's a reason whole paragraphs are written... they are giving the context to a whole thought. Those who like to take a single sentence out of a paragraph and twist them to give themselves a different meaning than the whole of the paragraph... likely need to take a moment and re-read the paragraph to see if ALL the facts align with your conclusion, not the single sentence.

As a simple literary excercise, let's take the oxford comma:
Let's eat, grandma!
vs
Let's eat grandma!

They have radically different meanings... and complete idiots would argue those meanings as "facts" until the death before they'd ask the sender of the message what actually was meant. What if someone forgot the oxford comma, would you immediately say what a fucking canibal immediately and then if the person declares, no sir, you are misunderstanding... do you then keep on foolishly saying, well you said this so you suck as a person and I know everything because I read 4 words on the internet. Good lord...

I fucking hate Twitter for this purpose. This world can't function past like 5 words. It's stating to piss me off.

Anyway, in case I was ignorant to anything jewish in The Wall I googled, and what I found was actually more positive things - story is played by half jewish man (bob geldof) and a few other facts, but thankfully I found nothing anti-semetic. At any rate, I'd still be ignorant to any implications as such as I haven't found any.

WW2 in my mind has a one to many relationship with lots of thing. It is not a singular concept with a one to one relationship with the holocaust and nothing else.

Anyway, maybe I should stop posting in the forums. It's getting a bit too stressful for me to have multiple occasions where people go to Z calling me anti-semetic, a crony capitalist, racist, sexist, etc. when they know nothing about me when somehow WW2=holocaust and nothing else or similar such logic. I'll just stick to my classical music log which is nearly done and move on back perhaps to real musical interactions in person.
_________________
20th Century Classical
RYM
last.fm
Spotify Playlists
Discogs
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
RoundTheBend
These, Antithese, Synthese



Location: Ground Control
United States

  • #36
  • Posted: 06/24/2020 02:53
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
Spyglass wrote:
One man said, "I feel like this is the case," not saying that it definitely is the case. Another man disagrees because of his heritage. Let's not turn this into a fight.


Maybe in real life man.

On the internet people's fangs come out in ways they wouldn't dare do in real life.
_________________
20th Century Classical
RYM
last.fm
Spotify Playlists
Discogs
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
Gowi
Idiot Repellent


Gender: Male
Age: 31
Location: Detroit
Poland

  • #37
  • Posted: 06/24/2020 02:56
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
RoundTheBend wrote:
Maybe in real life man.

On the internet people's fangs come out in ways they wouldn't dare do in real life.

I would've said the same thing IRL, man. I think it is best this subject is dropped, at any rate.
_________________
“Gowi is the most arrogant and consistent fixture of BEA’s forums.”
– Gowi

Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
RoundTheBend
These, Antithese, Synthese



Location: Ground Control
United States

  • #38
  • Posted: 06/24/2020 02:59
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
Sounds great... at any rate, this was my full quote, giving the context to what I was saying... for those who like to read and get holistic understandings of a thought:

Quote:
I feel like those who have ties to family who lived through WW2 DO NOT see it as pretentiousness, but reality.

I think we had a similar thread earlier about the amount of cheese someone is willing to deal with - it's all in the eye of the beholder. The ability to connect to the feelings to be true or not. Uncanny valley is an interesting concept to go look up about art if you are less familiar with it.

The sounds of airplanes and bombs and shit lifestyle someone has to live through post-war is a real thing. It's not pretentious. It actually is a pivotal work of art representing a generation that was "forced" to follow rules - and a society that reinforced rule following and the generation that uprooted it... as well... amongst other things.

I suppose you could call the methodology pretentious, but I didn't feel that way - I was able to relate to the bombastic features to represent such evil parts of society and the results of such living (numb).


Also this is a fun concept to understand if simple facts aren't allowing one to see a bigger picture/like to ignore the bigger picture for a single fact - I think the saying is stepping over dollars to pick up pennies?


_________________
20th Century Classical
RYM
last.fm
Spotify Playlists
Discogs
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
RoundTheBend
These, Antithese, Synthese



Location: Ground Control
United States

  • #39
  • Posted: 06/24/2020 03:06
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
alright, alright alright... Gowi and I have worked things out - I was like 30 minutes late to a PM... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
_________________
20th Century Classical
RYM
last.fm
Spotify Playlists
Discogs
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
RoundTheBend
These, Antithese, Synthese



Location: Ground Control
United States

  • #40
  • Posted: 06/24/2020 03:40
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
https://open.spotify.com/album/6Cp2YMMY...ELpP_siWdA

Ironically listened to this earlier today - absolutely heart-wrenching Polish work about above subject discussed.
_________________
20th Century Classical
RYM
last.fm
Spotify Playlists
Discogs
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Album of the day (#387): The Wall by ... albummaster Music
Album of the day (#880): The Wall by ... albummaster Music
Album of the day (#2320): The Wall by... albummaster Music
Album of the day (#1240): The Wall by... albummaster Music
Background movie extracts in Pink Flo... Yann Music

 
Back to Top