Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 06/25/2020 14:52
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
I know I'm guilty of doing the same thing with albums that promote gore and Nazism, but still. I'm sure Nokturnal Mortem and some goregrind has a lot of talent, and so but still.

It's pretty heartwarming that Theocracy is such a talented Christian band. Narnia's pretty good, too.

In the realm of power metal I'd also throw in a Divinefire album or two as well.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/25/2020 14:59
  • Post subject:
I didn't know they were Christian.
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 06/25/2020 16:01
  • Post subject:
Quote:
I look to the sky
See the angels around me
They care for my life
Marked by the blood
Of the Holy lamb

Quote:
King of kings
Lord of lords
I hear the song
My spirit is strong
No more death and suffering
Joy to the world!
He's risen, All is done

Let's just say they aren't subtle.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 06/25/2020 16:21
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
I remember back when turntable.fm was a thing. One of the guys in the chat told me he couldn't stand religious music and I mentioned how he liked Orphaned Land. The man didn't know the lyrical content. All he heard was riffs in ignorance. Once I told him suddenly Orphaned Land wasn't worth listening to anymore. It was bizarre.
This is just outright bizarre. But it's how a lot of people listen to music unfortunately. This recent RATM stuff blew my mind. Although that might be just people trolling. It's one thing knowing about the lyrics, disliking them and intentionally not listening to the band. Or (like I do) ignoring the lyrics which are too nihilistic or blasphemous and just enjoying the music. But to do the full 180 just because Orpahaned Land talks about peace and religion, that's a whole another level of stupid. For some reason this really pissed me off lol

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/25/2020 16:57
  • Post subject:
I don't really take such a thing seriously. If you're going to give up satanic lyrics because they can be very violent and they praise evil incarnate (willingly and outspokenly), I can understand that. But even though Christian religions have had some serious problems in the past, how many religions or philosophies haven't? In the end, all that matters is the will of the artist themselves, and the only Christian artist I can think of that's gone as far as murder is the As I Lay Dying singer, and he came out as a fake.

Gowi wrote:
Quote:
I look to the sky
See the angels around me
They care for my life
Marked by the blood
Of the Holy lamb

Quote:
King of kings
Lord of lords
I hear the song
My spirit is strong
No more death and suffering
Joy to the world!
He's risen, All is done

Let's just say they aren't subtle.

I haven't heard their music yet, but now that I know they're Christian I'll check them out for the merit.
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/25/2020 20:56
  • Post subject:
Why are so many Grave Digger albums so similar? It can make them pretty hard to compare.
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 06/26/2020 02:38
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
Why are so many Grave Digger albums so similar? It can make them pretty hard to compare.

Yeah, Grave Digger really didn't change anything up album-to-album and I don't think they were all that great to begin with so they just become like this power metal filler band for me.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/26/2020 19:03
  • Post subject:
Making a Japanese power metal chart will take some time, especially since I'd have to add a lot of bands here. There's no Unlucky Morpheus here. I'd have to start the chart before I actually want to make it just to get the Galneryus, Minstrelix and other bands there. I've got a very busy power metal schedule, and I need to add some non-metal to my 2020 since there's already too much metal on it in the second half.

So my power metal schedule will go as follows: Beyond the End of Despair by Galneryus, Rage and Grave Digger, Powerwolf, Japanese power metal, assuming I'm still doing power metal by the end of this. Thankfully when I'm in a power metal mood, I get through a lot of albums. I might also make some room for Divinefire.

I'll still keep Gowi's suggestions for German and American power metal in mind when I get around to that since I want to make many charts by location. Japan's got a whole world of power metal that I need to explore.
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/27/2020 01:45
  • Post subject:
How is it that Powerwolf's page on BEA has five of their albums but not their two most highly regarded ones?
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2020 17:44
  • Post subject:
So Demons and Wizards released their first album in 15 years. I need to check them out. But first, I'm going to take Gowi's Cage recommendation further and check out a couple of album by them, another Grave Digger album, and then I'll be ready to update my chart.

I've got nothing to do with my free time except clean the house, watch movies and listen to music. It's fun, but I feel like I'm behind on some sort of power metal schedule.