2020 Films and Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/30/2021 21:07
  • Post subject:
AgainstMeAgainstYou wrote:
I'm on the extreme end with Promising Young Woman in that it's only the 19th film I have ever given a score of -1/10 to. I was absolutely infuriated by it. I don't think it's merely "misguided" or "questionable", I think it's reprehensible and is going to be a movie whose commentary does harm in the long term.

It's really two things above all for me. The first is the way the only two people Cassie really torments are two other women, most of the men in the movie just get angry stares and condescension. Sure, neither of those two women are "innocent", I guess, but they're also arguably the least "guilty", yet they get roped into the most cruel scenarios out of anyone Cassie confronts.

The second is the film's insistence that, if you're a victim, you might as well give up and literally die because it's the only way you'll find closure and/or justice. That just absolutely disgusted me. And then the film had the arrogance to literally end on a fucking winky face.

There are a bunch of reviews on letterboxd from people whose voices deserve to be amplified above my own that express similar feelings more eloquently and powerfully, and I encourage anyone - whether you liked the film or not - to check them out as well, but that's sort of the bullet points of why this was one of my all-time least favourite films.

Quote:
If it helps, I have full confidence that I hated this movie.

Mr. Green

And don't disregard your own points in favour of others. I think I agree with everything you said.
  • Visit poster's website
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 03/30/2021 22:38
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Quote:
If it helps, I have full confidence that I hated this movie.

Mr. Green

Yeah, but I have a special level of hatred for this thing. I mean, Catwoman and Battlefield Earth are films I gave -1/10 to, for context.

Hayden wrote:
And don't disregard your own points in favour of others. I think I agree with everything you said.

It's more just that I feel like I can hate this film as much as I want, but I also haven't lived the experiences of other people who have had similar reactions, and I feel like those people deserve to be heard more.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/30/2021 23:14
  • Post subject:
AgainstMeAgainstYou wrote:

Yeah, but I have a special level of hatred for this thing. I mean, Catwoman and Battlefield Earth are films I gave -1/10 to, for context.

Wait... just to clear things up, that was your comment on my Letterboxd review for the film, right? Anxious That's the quote I added.

Quote:
It's more just that I feel like I can hate this film as much as I want, but I also haven't lived the experiences of other people who have had similar reactions, and I feel like those people deserve to be heard more.

Fair Smile Just saying I think you did a good job though.

Either way, absolutely crazy it isn't getting hit hard by the media/audiences. It could have easily been panned in the same bracket as Music.

Ending aside, what hit me was the lead's stunt pulled on Brie's character. Really surprised they decided to go with that route (BUT I'm still not sure what we're supposed to think of the main character... so... ???).
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2021 03:56
  • Post subject:
I really like the idea of PYW being a prestige Megan is Missing Cool

In all seriousness, I really love wild, even reprehensible tonal shifts; sometimes I feel like they’re my favorite thing that cinema can do. I even explicitly sample one of the most egregious I’ve seen, in David Lynch’s daughter Jennifer’s film Chained, in one of my own shorts. Without spoiling it, I’ll say that the tonal shift that happens ends up turning a seemingly bland Lifetime Saw movie into one of the most heartbreakingly powerful films about domestic abuse I’ve ever seen.

Because by refusing a natural catharsis, it makes the emotional world of the movie so much complicated and messy (and helps me see what seems like copaganda much more ambiguously)

All of this is to say that I really connected to Cassie in the movie, even in a death that’s so easy for me to fall into myself as a disabled trans woman. In fact, one of the brilliant subversions in the movie is that Laverne Cox’s Black trans character, exactly the demographic we associate more with death than almost any other, is just living her own life, tolerating cis people’s bullshit and keeping her cool. And I connected so much to her too <3

It’s by no means a perfect movie, but it’s so ambitious and ready to infuriate as a double feature in a way I can’t help but deeply admire.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2021 19:33
  • Post subject:
I don't think the director intended to steer the viewers' thoughts on Cassie in one specific direction. Antihero? Protagonist? Tragic victim? Bipolar psychotic? I found her to be a fully-constructed character who had elements of all of the above, which made her feel like a real person with nuances and complexities. She wasn't a villain though. The villain was clearly Al Monroe, the character who raped Cassie's best friend and set off the chain of events that left Cassie in the state she was in. And as devious and conniving as she was, I think we're supposed to feel some sympathy. She was hit by triple whammy. First, her best friend and soulmate (Nina, who never appeared on screen) was raped while they were both in medical school, and everyone swept it under the rug so the guy got away with it. Second, Nina later committed suicide. And finally, Cassie was so distraught by this, she dropped out of school. So, this one event led to the loss of her friend and her career, while the guy accountable got away. If that's not reason for at least some empathy, I don't know what is.

I understand AMAY's point about the harshness of Cassie's schemes against the dean and Alison Brie's character, while Cassie was rather lenient with the Alfred Molina lawyer character. Although IIRC, didn't she hire someone to attack the lawyer, but then called it off after the lawyer showed remorse? I agree there could have been more there, and agreed perhaps Cassie went too far with the dean. Alison Brie's character, though? After Cassie tormented her, she came back later in the film and gave Cassie the video evidence of Nina's rape, implying that Brie knew exactly what had happened all along and kept silent about it. That scene also revealed that Cassie knew that Brie knew, thus their first scene together at lunch was Cassie's attempt to force her to admit it. When Brie refused, Cassie set her up to feel what it was like to be Nina's shoes, to feel raped and then powerless to anything about it afterward. It's cruel for sure. Anyway, I know I'm rambling but my point is Brie's character was no saint.

Sure, the dean and Brie fell into the most cruel of Cassie's revenge schemes, but then again we never learned the full extent of her plan against Al Monroe because, well, that plan failed in an unexpected way. However, I think we can assume she would have put Al through worse torment than what we saw in earlier scenes. But again as we know, things didn't go according to plan. The double endings can be hard to digest, but they fall in line with the film's overall messages that rape victims are too often silenced and predatory men too often get away with it. Nina, the victim, was silenced, gave up and died. But Cassie didn't give up although she had to turn to vigilantism to find some justice/closure for her friend. She succeeded there on some level. But anyway, I don't think the film insisted the fates of Nina and Cassie had to happen the way they did. Rather, and specifically Cassie, I viewed her decision at the end to go the bachelor party as part of the natural progressions of her character and the movie's plot-line. But I don't think the film meant to represent her as all victims and justice-seeking women. The movie is fiction after all. Still, a fiction film that examines real social issues, and navigates a complicated, messy world. And yeah some of the decisions these characters made, as well as the film in general, are morally questionable. But currently I don't find that as a weakness, but a strength. For one, it kept the movie's suspense high. As a thriller, I thought it worked well and kept me engrossed all the way through. Further, the movie's ethics ultimately ask us difficult societal questions that lack clear-cut answers. It gets conversations going, and divides us on how good or bad the film handled its topics. And I find interesting how the divide here on BEA has come out so far. We have myself, RockyRaccoon, and Applerill appreciating the movie, while Hayden and AgainstMeAgainstYou did not. There's been many disagreements on movies here before, but not along those lines until now (is the Canada vs. US a coincidence? joking).

In sum, I liked the movie. It worked as a thriller with tidbits of black comedy. And I didn't even mention Bo Burnham before but his role, as well as the chemistry between him and Mulligan were great. One of my issues was the winky face at the end, that was kinda useless. I also question the logic and plausibility of the plot at times, specifically the timing and precision of Cassie's wilder schemes that just seemed too perfect to actually happen. But they came with purpose, bringing us back to the film's societal/ethical questions, which may or may not have been handled right. But very thought-provoking, nonetheless. Best Picture or Best Screenplay? Nah, there are better choices for those. But I wouldn't mind seeing Mulligan win.

One last question, AMAY, you mentioned there are reviews out there that express your views on the film but go into more detail. Can you send links? I'm curious to read.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/31/2021 19:50
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
(is the Canada vs. US a coincidence? joking).

I'll get on the rest of you post in a sec, but this just reminded me— I also think Fennel made the mistake of setting this in the States. I'm not sold she did a whole lot of research on the American school or justice systems Neutral (the entire 'you're too old to go back to school' dialogue for a character who by all means is kinda... the average age of doctoral students? That was odd).

Whatever anyone's opinions, it's unquestionably a conversational film. Whether or not people liked it, I enjoy reading how people think about the film as a whole and their reactions.

Quote:
Best Picture or Best Screenplay? Nah, there are better choices for those. But I wouldn't mind seeing Mulligan win.

Best Actress could be a major shock this year, but ultimately I see Mulligan winning. (I'm personally rooting for Kirby).

Fennel will also win screenplay.

Also, to anyone who hasn't watched Promising Young Woman, I apologize for all the spoilers Anxious
  • Visit poster's website
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 04/04/2021 07:52
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Wait... just to clear things up, that was your comment on my Letterboxd review for the film, right?

Ohhhhh, fuck. I forgot about that. Yeah, that was me. I think I hate it more with the passage of time though.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2021 15:57
  • Post subject:
Okay, this opinion might ruffle some jimmies, but while it WAS beautifully shot and acted, The Father was genuinely one of the most eugenicist movies
I’ve ever seen. It literally uses the format of the Rooney Mara breakup scene in The Social Network to frame disability as something that old white abusive men have and nobody else, and that disability is a burden on society that keeps girlbosses like Olivia Coleman (who are NEVER disabled, and whose whiteness and straightness and thinness doesn’t matter because she’s a woman) from living their lives normally. And it’s sorta sad to see so many abled people frame their reviews this way: “I had a grandpa with this disability; that was really hard for me when he couldn’t remember my name or get me the presents I wanted.”

This takes itself more artistically seriously than a lot of ableist Oscar bait, but it still ultimately focuses on making abled people feel good for being allies than anything else. I know things like The Diving Bell and the Butterfly aren’t perfect either, but at least that movie focused entirely on the disabled person’s legacy.

ALSO, it’s worth noting that there are a LOT of people (several of whom I know personally) who have this sort of memory loss young because of things like depression or DID or Down Syndrome, which makes the connection here between Alzheimer’s and “lol ok boomer” all the more egregious here
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2021 17:29
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
This takes itself more artistically seriously than a lot of ableist Oscar bait, but it still ultimately focuses on making abled people feel good for being allies than anything else. I know things like The Diving Bell and the Butterfly aren’t perfect either, but at least that movie focused entirely on the disabled person’s legacy.

Nothing more Oscar bait-y than movies focusing on (pick 3-4) cis/white/abled/men feel good about being "allies" to (pick at least 1) LGBTQ+/black or brown/disabled/women or gender non-binary people.

I haven't seen The Father but Green Book 2 years ago made me feel very similarly.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2021 21:43
  • Post subject:
Okay, to be fair, it IS much better than Green Book in most ways.
  • Visit poster's website