Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 04/12/2021 01:19
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Okay, to be fair, it IS much better than Green Book in most ways.

Haha ok well that makes me feel a little better about its nominations. Green Book was... not worthy of anything except for I guess Mahershala Ali's supporting oscar. Although even Ali seemed to acknowledge that his win was a snub to others.

Still probably not going to watch The Father but I appreciate the commentary (I've also appreciated the commentary on Promising Young Woman, which I also probably won't watch...thrillers usually aren't my thing...). I watched Green Book with my family since my mom loves Viggo ( Rolling Eyes ), and we were all peeved about its best picture win.

I get the impression that The Father probably won't win BP, but it seems Colman and Hopkins probably have good shots in their respective acting categories.
BARDAMU

• Posted: 04/14/2021 19:02
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Okay, this opinion might ruffle some jimmies, but while it WAS beautifully shot and acted, The Father was genuinely one of the most eugenicist movies
I’ve ever seen.

Rolling Eyes
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2021 17:44
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
20 bucks says Bakalova and Guiliani will win Worst Screen Combo. People criticize the Oscars for being too political (which they are) but the Razzies are equally (if not more) guilty of the same thing.
Called it Cool . Though I didn't realize the combo was actually Guiliani and his zipper, not Guiliani and Bakalova, but whatever.
Hayden wrote:
As for Bakalova/Rudy, I think I'd only give you 1/1 odds on that bet Laughing, they'll win. And I'm cool with the Razzies being political. By all means, it's kinda funny. The pillow guy is probably going to win too.
And Hayden called the Pillow Guy award Cool . Who is the pillow guy anyway? Eh.

Not much to say about the Razzies except Glenn Close didn't win for Hillbilly Elegy, so here's hoping she doesn't win the Oscar.

As for the Oscars, I'll predict:

BP - Nomadland
BD - Chloe Zhao
BA - Chadwick Boseman
BA - Carey Mulligan
BSA - Daniel Kaluuya
BSA - Youn Yuh-jung
BAF - Soul
BIF - Another Round
BDF - Time

And who I want to win:

BP - anything but Nomadland
BD - David Fincher
BA - Riz Ahmed
BA - Carey Mulligan
BSA - Paul Raci (I haven't seen Judas, so I'm biased towards Paul Raci, but it'd be cool to see either Stanfield or Kaluuya win, I heard their performances are excellent)
BSA - Youn Yuh-jung
BAF - Wolfwalkers
BIF - Collectiv
BDF - Collectiv
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/24/2021 18:32
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Called it Cool . Though I didn't realize the combo was actually Guiliani and his zipper, not Guiliani and Bakalova, but whatever.

I swear it was Bakalova/Rudy Shocked I think that changed (maybe so Bakalova didn't win a Razzie, etc).

And Ziegler being signalled out feels very unfair for her age... not entirely sure I would have done that, no matter the circumstances of the film.

CA Dreamin wrote:

As for the Oscars, I'll predict:

BP - Nomadland
BD - Chloe Zhao
BA - Chadwick Boseman
BA - Carey Mulligan
BSA - Daniel Kaluuya
BSA - Youn Yuh-jung
BAF - Soul
BIF - Another Round
BDF - Time

I'm the exact same, except I think My Octopus Teacher will win doc. Best Actress and Supporting Actress are the two most exciting categories right now. Everything else is kinda... locked.

Want to win? These:

BP - Minari
BD - Chloe Zhao
BA - Hopkins
BA - Kirby
BSA - Kaluuya
BSA - Youn Yuh-jung or Bakalova
BAF - Soul
BIF - Another Round
BDF - My Octopus Teacher
&
OS - Minari
AS - The Father
LShort - The Letter Room (or ANYTHING but Two Distant Stangers)
AShort - Opera (or ANYTHING but Yes People)
Song - Ja ja Ding Dong smacks everyone out of left field.
Sound - Sound of Metal
Cinematography - Nomadland
Makeup & Costume - Emma.
Editing - Sound of Metal

See how it goes. Whatever they whip up for a show is already sounding quite weird.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 04/25/2021 00:19
  • Post subject:
I'm just gonna be happy to not have to talk about 2020 movies anymore.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 04/26/2021 11:34
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
I'm just gonna be happy to not have to talk about 2020 movies anymore.

No new posts 12 hours after the ceremony ended? Seems like everyone else feels similarly Laughing
(though I would absolutely not mind talking about Soul some more)
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/26/2021 12:55
  • Post subject:
Bizarre thing that was.

That song, actor, actress trio of whammies is odd to get my head around. Really surprised McDormand won. Might have to finally figure out who HER is. Feels like I see her name nominated for 5+ Grammies every year, and now she has an Oscar, and I honestly don't know if I've heard a song by her (I'm not quite sure I actually watched the credits for Judas tbh...). Best Song this year should have been Wuhan Flu or Ja Ja Ding Dong, and I'm not kidding.

Very glad Soul won score. Disappointed Two Distant Strangers won. Mank didn't deserve cinematography either, but whatever. And (don't hate me) glad Hopkins won. Wasn't fussed about PYW winning screenplay, but it was bound to happen.

Production was wack. Who decided on Best Picture not being last? Think

However, at the end of the day, no matter what can be said about this year, I think this is legitimately one of the best quartet of acting winners in a long time. Sophisticated (if that's the right word) choices. They weren't super flashy performances or anything, just really solid acting. The fact Youn Yuh-jung walked away with an Oscar is wild.

I imagine Charli is.... not happy though Laughing

Last edited by Hayden on 04/26/2021 19:59; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/26/2021 17:25
  • Post subject:
Every year it's the same thing...internet outrage over the Oscars. And I just don't get it. I've held nothing back about my dislike for Nomadland and my desire to see a non-Disney/Pixar movie win BAF for a change. When Nomadland won, and Wolfwalkers lost to Soul, I didn't feel the slightest grudge or disappointment. Because that's the Oscars for you. Disappointing fans for 93 years. At what point do people accept it, and stop caring so much?

Anyway, I worked yesterday and got home when there was only actor, actress, and picture remaining. My household was watching so I figured what the heck, I'll watch the last 20 minutes. Interesting choice to have BP before the acting categories, but it quickly became apparent they were going for a dramatic finish for a Boseman Best Actor award. This was why McDormand's Actress speech was so brief. For one, she had just been on stage and gave a monologue about Nomadland for that film's BP win, what more did she have to say? And yeah, she wanted to set the stage for the late Chadwick Boseman.

To be honest, I think when the show doesn't go according to plan, that's when it's interesting and worth remembering. Remember La La Land and Moonlight? That was freaking hilarious. This year's ending wasn't funny; it was just anti-climactic. But you know, sometimes life imitates art. Some movies have a twist at the end. Others don't have a dramatic ending.
jnfbn

Turkey

• Posted: 04/26/2021 19:44
  • Post subject:
awarding hopkins for one of the best acting performances of this century (and all times) is the best thing the academy has done in recent years... Boseman's performance was great, Ahmed was phonomenal too but Hopkins did some things that twitched my mind while watching. The Father winning the screenplay is another great thing. Tbh it should've won picture /or Sound of Metal.

PYW winning screenplay seems like a joke but as haydn said, expected fully. I somewhat liked that film and some dialogues but its not a good screenplay.

Mank winning cinematography is a joke. B&W doesn't automatically mean good cinematography people...

Glad this film/awards season is off. Film twitter wore me out.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/26/2021 20:04
  • Post subject:
jnfbn wrote:
awarding hopkins for one of the best acting performances of this century (and all times) is the best thing the academy has done in recent years... Boseman's performance was great, Ahmed was phonomenal too but Hopkins did some things that twitched my mind while watching. The Father winning the screenplay is another great thing. Tbh it should've won picture /or Sound of Metal.

PYW winning screenplay seems like a joke but as haydn said, expected fully. I somewhat liked that film and some dialogues but its not a good screenplay.

Mank winning cinematography is a joke. B&W doesn't automatically mean good cinematography people...

Glad this film/awards season is off. Film twitter wore me out.

Hopkins winning will hopefully age well after the initial shock. It was the best performance.

And Mank looked weird. Think it was the new camera. Cheap flecks of dust/scratches was a little film-schooly. I'm not sure it really looked that great either. One of (if not the) best aspect of Nomadland was it's cinematography. Should have won with ease.

Quote:
To be honest, I think when the show doesn't go according to plan, that's when it's interesting and worth remembering. Remember La La Land and Moonlight? That was freaking hilarious. This year's ending wasn't funny; it was just anti-climactic. But you know, sometimes life imitates art. Some movies have a twist at the end. Others don't have a dramatic ending.

It was a very strange sour note to end on. Somewhere between embarrassing/sad, unlike La La Land/Moonlight which was a bit more embarrassing/happy/weird. What a dour note to leave the show on. Phoenix knew it. I think he opened the envelope backstage.

The BP not being the last award will hopefully never happen again. Rolling Eyes
  • Visit poster's website