Two suggestions for the user lists.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 06/27/2020 18:25
  • Post subject: Two suggestions for the user lists.
I'm back with two requests concerning the lists (I know).

1.) Last night I realized that I have one album rated but not marked as listened (I currently have 1700 albums rated, but 1699 rated albums in my listened log). It's impossible to find this album, without combing through my ratings on a page by page basis looking for it, which is frustrating. It's also easy to miss that way, which just makes it even more frustrating. Can there be an easier way to do this? Maybe adding the collector's summary to these lists would work? Or another sort option? I've had this problem before and dealt with it, but this album is frustrating me and these lists are only getting longer.

2.) Can we get a "Queue" list to save albums we'd like to listen to but haven't (similar to the wish list, in that albums can be prioritized)? I've been using my wish list to mark albums I want to hear, and my favorites to mark albums I want to buy. There's just no other way to do this. I know space might be an issue with this, so maybe it could replace the favorites list (which, overall, seems like a redundant list that can't be used with any real intent or purpose, but others might disagree).

Any support for these suggestions?
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 06/27/2020 18:59
  • Post subject: Re: Two suggestions for the user lists.
Jameth wrote:
2.) Can we get a "Queue" list to save albums we'd like to listen to but haven't (similar to the wish list, in that albums can be prioritized)? I've been using my wish list to mark albums I want to hear, and my favorites to mark albums I want to buy. There's just no other way to do this. I know space might be an issue with this, so maybe it could replace the favorites list (which, overall, seems like a redundant list that can't be used with any real intent or purpose, but others might disagree).

I don't use the wishlist on this site right now, but a queue sounds very interesting. In addition to manually adding albums to the queue and manually reordering them, there could be buttons to add an album at random from your wishlist and to add an album at random from the database.
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 06/27/2020 19:31
baystateoftheart wrote:
I don't use the wishlist on this site right now, but a queue sounds very interesting. In addition to manually adding albums to the queue and manually reordering them, there could be buttons to add an album at random from your wishlist and to add an album at random from the database.

Haha, yeah, incorporating the random album button would be fun. \:D/

We might have different ideas of what the wish list is or should be used for, so what's the idea behind the other one?
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 06/27/2020 19:37
Jameth wrote:
Haha, yeah, incorporating the random album button would be fun. Dancing

We might have different ideas of what the wish list is or should be used for, so what's the idea behind the other one?

I think we have the same idea of what the wishlist is right now: a list of albums I want to hear.

The priority setting approximates a queue I suppose (and could also be used to differentiate want to buy vs. want to hear), but I think a queue would still be nice. It needn't be big - maybe 100 albums tops.
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 06/27/2020 20:16
  • Post subject:
Yep, I've always viewed the wish list as a tool intended to track albums you want to buy. But, I've been using it to track albums I want to hear, since there isn't a queue. I'm hoping for a queue list that's identical to the current wish list in functionality. Basically, if a queue were added, I'd move everything from my wish list to the queue, and everything in my favorites to my wish list, and my favorites would be empty (I think it's a pointless list, since your personal charts and ratings list should indicate your favorites, anyway. Maybe someone can offer a good defense for the favorites list). I'd also need room for more than 100, since I've got nearly 1000 albums in my wish list. No upper limit, like the rest of the lists.

That may just sound like a name swap, but the favorites list doesn't have the same functionality and it can't be made private.
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 06/28/2020 02:55
  • Post subject:
Jameth in regards to your first issue: in your user profile - edit profile settings, there is an "add albums as listened when they are rated" option. Do you have this set as "Yes"? And if not would setting it to yes automatically add the album you're missing as listened? You wouldn't know which one it was though Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 06/28/2020 04:25
  • Post subject:
Purplepash wrote:
Jameth in regards to your first issue: in your user profile - edit profile settings, there is an "add albums as listened when they are rated" option. Do you have this set as "Yes"? And if not would setting it to yes automatically add the album you're missing as listened? You wouldn't know which one it was though Very Happy

Brilliant! Thanks!

I had it set to no. I set it to yes, but nothing was added to my listened...I tested by rating an album and it was added straight away. I don’t know what gives.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/28/2020 09:12
Jameth wrote:
I'm back with two requests concerning the lists (I know).

1.) Last night I realized that I have one album rated but not marked as listened (I currently have 1700 albums rated, but 1699 rated albums in my listened log). It's impossible to find this album, without combing through my ratings on a page by page basis looking for it, which is frustrating. It's also easy to miss that way, which just makes it even more frustrating. Can there be an easier way to do this? Maybe adding the collector's summary to these lists would work? Or another sort option? I've had this problem before and dealt with it, but this album is frustrating me and these lists are only getting longer.

Any support for these suggestions?

Hi, sorry for the frustration. For the first point, there is an 'Add all rated as listened' option on your profile page (underneath the option Purplepash mentioned) which should pick up that elusive album. As an aside, The favourites list is used internally to determine some content to display e.g. new albums by favourite artists, concerts etc and is also a way to more quickly identify albums/charts that you like the most, as most people's ratings lists are normally much longer than their list of favs).

I also like idea of the 'queue' so that's also something that could be added (most probably a copy of wish list functionality to give you public/private and priority options). These lists definitely need a bit of work to improve them and it's another area of the site that needs some decent time spent on it (baystateoftheart's idea of moving items up and down the list is a good one and would provide a finer level of granularity, but would need a bit more work).
  • Visit poster's website
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 06/28/2020 17:20
  • Post subject:
^^^Thanks for the reply!

I've toggled "Add albums as listened when they are rated" to yes in my settings, and I've clicked the "Add all rated as listened" hyperlink underneath (which I didn't notice last night when I first checked my settings). Unfortunately, this didn't work. When I click submit from my settings, I get a page full of warning messages saying things like "the /e modifier is no longer supported" and "cannot modify header information". Doesn't matter if I change any settings before I click submit, I get the same error messages, both from my phone and my laptop.
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 06/28/2020 21:05
  • Post subject:
I figured out the problem. There's a bug that's causing the wrong number of ratings to display at the bottom of my ratings list. It shows "Total ratings: 1,700", but I only have 1,699 ratings. I went to the last page of my unfiltered ratings and there's only nine albums on that page. *shrug*