Nationality of artists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/14/2020 13:47
  • Post subject:
Hi Hayden, good spot with the flags. I'll get those updated. Isle of Man sounds a similar situation to the Channel Islands (which are not part of UK) so I'll look at getting it added.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/04/2022 16:59
  • Post subject:
Just posting back here as looking again at implementing the dual-nationality functionality described earlier in this thread. This is fairly straight forward for 'individuals', but more complicated when it comes to determining the nationality of a band or collaboration. The aim of introducing dual/multi nationalities is to ensure the site provides the maximum utility to end users through higher precision data, but also has to be easy to understand & administer (to prevent edit wars etc).

The nationality of a collaboration on BEA is currently derived from the nationality of the constituent members, but what is tending to happen now is that more artists are being denoted as 'Mixed' than people might otherwise expect to see and this then has an impact on chart country compositions etc e.g. Metallica, formed in America but including a Danish drummer. A lot of people who would expect to see Metallica listed as American because it was founded in America but under BEA rules it's currently listed as Mixed because it was founded by an American (James Hetfield) and a Dane (Lars Ulrich). After the proposed enhancement this particular artist would be listed as American/Danish (rather than Mixed - slightly more accurate - but this still sounds 'wrong' because a lot of people would still consider it an 'American' band - and with the extra precision, the country composition would perhaps end up even more messy than it is now as there would be a lot more nationality pairs (which 'Mixed' currently hides).

Some bands are formed outside of the country that the constituent members are from and the current guidelines exist to reflect the ethnicity of the members rather than where the band was formed (some other sites out there use the country of formation instead of nationality of the members). In a lot of cases, the 'primary' nationality of a band is unclear (if there are several nationalities within a band and the artists have similar roles). Is it even 'fair' to select one nationality as 'primary' in those circumstances? Also consider a band with three/four/five/six members of different nationalities, at what point do we stop caring what nationality the artist/collaboration is? Is 'Mixed' the best option after all for collaborations of more than one nationality, or do we need to change the guidelines so that 'Mixed' is used more sparingly than it is right now (and if so, what change might achieve this effect)?
  • Visit poster's website
Unlocked: 03/08/2022 11:35 by albummaster
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/13/2022 17:04
  • Post subject:
Ayy, unlocked Very Happy

I think it should just be something as simple as

Artist Name: ______
Nationality: ______ & optional: _______
Membership: ______

With no primary/secondary. If one country has slightly more weight than the other (ie Metallica being USA/Denmark), it makes sense to have the biggest representation first, but some artists are very close to 50/50, so I don't think we need to complicate it further. An artist like Genesis Owusu would be Ghana/Australia, and I don't think it matters which order it's in. If anything, alphabetical.

Quote:
Also consider a band with three/four/five/six members of different nationalities, at what point do we stop caring what nationality the artist/collaboration is? Is 'Mixed' the best option after all for collaborations of more than one nationality, or do we need to change the guidelines so that 'Mixed' is used more sparingly than it is right now (and if so, what change might achieve this effect)?

I think any group/individual with 3+ nationalities could remain 'mixed', but we should definitely have the option for 2. Putting MF DOOM, Linton Kwesi Johnson, Santana, Yazz Ahmed, Mitski, Nicolas Jaar and David Byrne all under the same blanket is kinda just erasing their nationality, which becomes even weirder when it comes down to collaborations (Bob Dylan & The Band, Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile, etc). For artists like Erika De Casier, Kali Uchis or Janko Nilović, the Mixed flag tells you nothing of where they're from.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/14/2022 11:02
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Ayy, unlocked Very Happy

I think the thread may have been locked after I posted (I hadn't realised until a few days after).

Thanks Hayden, very insightful. I think the sequence/order of nationalities would be difficult to determine a lot of times. In the case of Metallica, 'Denmark/US' might sound wrong(?) (alphabetical) so there would need to be an element of subjectivity which could lead to edit wars in the case of artists where nationality is more difficult to determine. Perhaps forcing an alphabetical sequence across all artists to avoid back and forth edits would be something to consider (but people would need to be aware that the sequence doesn't indicate the weight/importance of each nationality).

Where there are 3+ nationalities (more than two) in a group, it still leaves things fairly fuzzy. We could just list two nationalities, but which two? e.g. arbitrary example of a supergroup which might have five or six nationalities. Do we just list this as mixed to stop us having to pick two nationalities, or do we pick two and end up with something like 'UK/US/Mixed' (instead of listing every nationality). I agree 100% with your point about 'Mixed' not saying much about where an artist is from, and from my own point of view that's the main point of trying to add something that improves the database. Possibly overthinking this but trying to avoid issues further down the line.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 03/14/2022 22:19
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Ayy, unlocked Very Happy

I think it should just be something as simple as

Artist Name: ______
Nationality: ______ & optional: _______
Membership: ______

With no primary/secondary. If one country has slightly more weight than the other (ie Metallica being USA/Denmark), it makes sense to have the biggest representation first, but some artists are very close to 50/50, so I don't think we need to complicate it further. An artist like Genesis Owusu would be Ghana/Australia, and I don't think it matters which order it's in. If anything, alphabetical.

Quote:
Also consider a band with three/four/five/six members of different nationalities, at what point do we stop caring what nationality the artist/collaboration is? Is 'Mixed' the best option after all for collaborations of more than one nationality, or do we need to change the guidelines so that 'Mixed' is used more sparingly than it is right now (and if so, what change might achieve this effect)?

I think any group/individual with 3+ nationalities could remain 'mixed', but we should definitely have the option for 2. Putting MF DOOM, Linton Kwesi Johnson, Santana, Yazz Ahmed, Mitski, Nicolas Jaar and David Byrne all under the same blanket is kinda just erasing their nationality, which becomes even weirder when it comes down to collaborations (Bob Dylan & The Band, Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile, etc). For artists like Erika De Casier, Kali Uchis or Janko Nilović, the Mixed flag tells you nothing of where they're from.

A few things on this subject from me:

1: I believe that Mixed Nationality should be last resort. It's being used way too frequently here. You can get picky about anyone who was born in one country and lives in another, or a band that happens to have a drummer born elsewhere. It's creating arguments that are simply never going to die...and it's making the existence of nationalities here increasingly less useful.

2: I think that Mixed Nationality should not even be an option for an individual. It's going to get down to "John Lennon lived in New York for years, as a permanent resident, so he should be "mixed"". That day is coming. You've seen some of the arguments...it's almost here.

3: I think it's interesting to note that Discogs does not, in any way, have nationalities as a priority. Hundreds, maybe even thousands of artists on Discogs have no mention at all of where they are from. Many do...but many do not. Many of the ones that do have them on profiles from Wikipedia that they have the option to include (????). Which makes me ask this: how important...REALLY...is it for us to include and REQUIRE this information? Yes, I know that it's a nice little stat to have on your chart...but I ask...is it something we even really need? (For example...I absolutely never look at the countries the albums on my charts are from. Never. But if I did want the info, I would go out and get it for myself, using MY opinions in cases where there are multiple countries.)

For example: White Lion's lead singer is from Denmark. The band was formed in the US. All of the other members are from the US. They worked their live act in the US, they shopped record labels in the US, they signed with an American label, and the bulk of their success was in the US. Why on earth should White Lion be considered anything other than a band from the United States?

Nationalities on BEA are nice...but I don't believe they are necessary. At all. It's a luxury that's taking up a lot of time and causing unnecessary debates. As for AM...I know that you are working your tail off on this site, and I know that you are spending a lot more time than you probably want to be refereeing nationality arguments. I know that you have a long list of things you want to do here to improve the site, and this doesn't seem to be helping. So, maybe the answer might be to simply not have this be such an important part of things.

And on the data mod side, we've reached a point where pretty much all new albums are being added to the site well in advance of their release dates, with the apparent goal being to add every new album as soon as possible...just for the sake of adding them. (I can't tell you how many albums released on March 11 that were added ahead of that date dropped into the Not Moderated queue overnight). I cleaned out the queue on Saturday morning...Sunday morning there were over sixty albums with no info. I don't think we need additional fields for nationality...fewer fields would be better.

My 14 cents...
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 03/14/2022 23:53
  • Post subject:
I'll throw my few cents in here since I probably pay more attention to artists' nationality than most members, and I have been a little confused by the uptick in "Mixed Nationality" I've seen over the past year or so (e.g. Arcade Fire from Canada > mixed, My Bloody Valentine from Irish > mixed).

To start out, I agree completely with Romanelli's comments. Especially the first one that Mixed Nationality should be a last resort.

Most importantly, take my comments with a grain of salt, because as Romanelli mentioned: "Nationalities on BEA are nice...but I don't believe they are necessary. At all. It's a luxury..." HUGELY agree with this; despite my focus on categorizing nationalities, it's for sure a luxury. Anyway, continuing with my thoughts:

1. BEA currently has very clear instructions on how to categorize nationality for classical albums/artists. Thanks very much to AM and whoever else was involved with implementing these rules! I completely agree with the way this is done. Leonard Bernstein conducting the Berlin Philharmonic is considered German despite the American conductor. I think a rule (or set of rules) for setting the nationality of bands and solo artists is a good idea. My only reservation here is whether it would make data moderation harder.

2. If rules for bands/solo artists are to be implemented, I suggest that the nationality of a band should be where the band was founded. So Metallica are from USA, Arcade Fire are from Canada, My Bloody Valentine are from Ireland, Fleetwood Mac are from UK, etc. Obviously this is not always clear, a prime example being the Bee Gees: three brothers who were all born on the Isle of Mann, the eldest began the band in England and then the other brothers joined in Australia. Currently they're categorized as UK nationality, and I think that makes the most sense, but maybe "Mixed Nationality" can be retained for unclear cases.

3. For solo artists, I think it makes the most sense to list the nationality as where they were born. This doesn't always make the most sense for everyone, but it seems like the fairest way to do it. Any other option I can think of (current citizenship, the place of their musical "origin", place where they grew up, what the artist considers to be their own nationality) are much more subjective or subject to change.

4. I think it's probably better if BEA avoids listing multiple nationalities on any artist. Both because it significantly complicates data moderation, and because "nationality" can be subjective. For bands, it's more about the complication e.g. AM's example where there's a band with 5-6 members of different nationalities. For solo artists, Romanelli's John Lennon example is probably the most egregious (and I agree that we're heading in that direction), but consider Tina Turner who renounced her US citizenship in 2013 but hasn't released a (non-compilation) record since way before then; for all intents and purposes I'd consider her to be from the US.

To summarize, I think the rules for classical albums are clear and successful, and similar rules could be adapted for bands and solo artists. That said, obviously classical albums represent a much smaller percentage of AM's database than non-classical albums, so a change in rules may complicate data moderation.

To add an additional wrench to the mix, I have an additional thought which we may or may not want to consider: what about "Various Artists"? In this case it may make sense to have the option to set the nationality per album rather than per artist. Something like The Indestructible Beat Of Soweto by Various Artists would be marked as South Africa, and Nuggets From Nuggets: Choice Artyfacts ...us Artists would be marked as USA. On the other hand, there's some V/A compilations like the soundtracks to Trainspotting or Saturday Night Fever which are truly by various nationalities. Just something to think about but obviously not the focus of this conversation, so I'm sorry for the tangent.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/15/2022 10:40
  • Post subject:
Thanks Romanelli, 110% appreciate your deep insight and the massive contribution you make on data moderation.

I agree that Mixed should be used more sparingly for individuals, but artists like Rufus Wainwright (and many others) make eliminating the option very difficult unless the site went with the binary option of place of birth (maybe that's a route to consider again for individuals to put this whole issue to bed).

As way of context, nationality was meant to provide a high level compositional analysis of each chart, act as a navigation aid across the site e.g. if you are interested in music from a particular country (not just US/UK/Canada/Australia etc, where this is less useful due to the volume of music from those countries that exists on BEA). Nationality also helps shine a light on 'diversity' in a broader sense and I've previously mentioned it would be useful to extend some of the artist metadata to possibly include things like gender to make the site a bit more inclusive in terms of diversity, and nationality can be seen as just one element of this.

Personally, I feel having new releases on the site is more of a positive than a negative as they keep BEA 'fresher' than it might otherwise be. If the moderation queue is backing up (and that's the main reason for not wanting the albums listed), I'd hate to feel like you have to take this on yourself - I'm sure other people will step in to help do this if the queue is left for long enough.

EyeKanFly, thanks for your detailed thoughts. It was really interesting. Country of formation is analogous to country of birth for individuals so that would be consistent (the Tina Turner example clearly demonstrates some of the current difficulties - the site is tying itself in knots at the moment and using too much energy on this one aspect). As you also say, it's not always clear cut to determine country of formation (particularly in the case of collaborative works where two or more separate artists come together). In regards to VA nationality, there is another suggestion in the works to create a separate VA for each country (and have these as child variations of a parent VA so these can all be combined together). This is another change on the radar that hasn't been implemented yet, but isn't too hard to do.

I guess the main decision is whether BEA should revert to using country of birth and formation instead of nationality for artists and what the impact might be on changing this. What should the updated help text look like? How many artists might this affect, and which ones would be affected? Is it worth changing? Personally, I think the site would be easier to administer if it was changed, but would the site be more/less useful after this change?
  • Visit poster's website
ForegroundNoise
for worn-out boys

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/07/2022 10:34
  • Post subject:
Quote:
I think it's probably better if BEA avoids listing multiple nationalities on any artist. Both because it significantly complicates data moderation, and because "nationality" can be subjective. For bands, it's more about the complication e.g. AM's example where there's a band with 5-6 members of different nationalities. For solo artists, Romanelli's John Lennon example is probably the most egregious (and I agree that we're heading in that direction), but consider Tina Turner who renounced her US citizenship in 2013 but hasn't released a (non-compilation) record since way before then; for all intents and purposes I'd consider her to be from the US.

Just to respond to this and to add a suggestion I've not seen here yet:

1. I agree that Mixed Nationality should be treated as a last resort, though I personally disagree with the idea that we should "avoid listing multiple nationalities on any artist". For individuals real-life nationality and identity is often complicated and diverse, and I think our database should reflect this (I also disagree with Romanelli that listing identity is a "luxury"; on the contrary I think it's extremely important to be mindful of the demographics of our musical tastes, especially given how Anglo-American centric us westerners can end up being in our listening habits).

2. For collectives, I personally think we should institute the same guidelines as awards bodies such as the Mercury Prize, where an artist is deemed eligible if more than 50% of its members are British/Irish. This would mean bands such as White Lion listed above would be classed as American, Arcade Fire classed as Canadian etc., even if some individual members might have a different nationality. In cases where the nationality is an even split, the dual nationality function can be used (once it's integrated onto the site), with Mixed Nationality reserved for rare cases where there are multiple nationalities present and no majority can be determined.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/08/2022 08:22
  • Post subject:
Thanks for a great post ForegroundNoise (and for comments on admin pages). I think the idea of using the majority of members might be quite a good compromise (especially in smaller setups) and might yield a better result in the cases where 'Mixed' might otherwise be used (Arcade Fire a case in point). Completely my fault for drafting a set of guidelines that yield unexpected results, but I think it would be more useful if there were less artists listed as 'Mixed' especially in terms of providing aggregate country charts and compositional analysis within charts. I kind of rebutted (to myself) the need for adding dual nationality in a previous post as it doesn't really solve the problem (there will still be cases where this is not enough). Which leaves the problem unsolved without reverting to simplifying/changing the rules so they don't tie us in so many knots (maybe using country of formation and/or majority of members of a single nationality as extra tests in the case where Mixed might otherwise be used).
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/08/2022 14:46
  • Post subject:
Just tossing it out there—

We have the (somewhat new) 'Individual/Collaboration' option (which, I still don't quite understand the point of unfortunately). How about if the artist falls under the 'Collaboration' category, a second nationality becomes available? This new collaboration—

Limen by KMRU & Aho Ssan

—by KMRU (Kenya) and Aho Ssan (France) is classified 'mixed' strictly because it's a collaboration, even though both artists are given their nationality on our site when solo.

What if the collaboration option linked each solo artist (i.e. KMRU & Aho Ssan) instead of mixing them into a single entity (KMRU & Aho Ssan), which would then classify the act as Fr/Ke?

If that makes sense.
  • Visit poster's website