From what I've just read...

View previous topic :: View next topic
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 08/08/2020 04:40
  • Post subject: From what I've just read...
Rumor has it that Peter Jackson has expressed interest in remaking The Neverending Story. Since it's a good fantasy story that was full of 80's puppet cheese and bad acting (although the Nothing effects are cooler than the Independence Day, I wouldn't mind a remake if it was in the hands of someone responsible for four incredible films: the LOTR trilogy and Braindead. But apparently, the rights to adapt it again are said to be very hard to secure. Yes, a remake could go in many wrong directions, but I'd rather have Jackson on board for such an undertaking than most directors.

Thoughts??? Questions??? Complaints???
BozoTyrannus

Guyana

• Posted: 08/24/2020 15:31
  • Post subject:
Never seen The Neverending Story. Never been impressed by Peter Jackson. Never been a fan of remakes.

I mean, if it's a good movie then great, I'll happily see it. But it'll hardly be on my radar.
And make Sean Pean
  • Visit poster's website
desh79

Germany

• Posted: 08/24/2020 16:06
  • Post subject:
Jackson tends to be a bit hit-and-miss as far as his output is concerned (LOTR and Braindead are fantastic, The Lovely Bones and King Kong... not so), but my gut reaction is that the movie is so quintessentially 80s - the effects, the music, etc - that a remake would basically be an entirely different movie altogether.

That said, the original source material was a book by Michael Ende so it might make sense to see the Jackson version as a new cinematic adaptation of the novel, rather than a straight-on remake of the Wolfgang Petersen film.

Other than that, my dream remake would be directed by Baran Bo Odar (Dark). Not sure why, I just think his visual style would lend itself very well to the subject matter (which is, in spite of the film being a fluffy fantasy movie on the surface, actually really grim in places, especially for a movie that was primarily aimed at kids).
  • Visit poster's website