Best Films of The 90s (V2) [Poll][Dead]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 08/31/2020 20:31
  • Post subject:
BozoTyrannus wrote:
But you have variety, which is the positive thing.

Those aren't necessarily bad films, I just know too many people who only like things from that wheelhouse and compare everything else to them and refuse to give attention to something if they're not like it

I have the same beef with Tarantino fans, but I still included some Tarantino on my list, because it's impossible to deny those films are great

Don't get me wrong, I'm not actually ashamed of loving those films nor sorry for including them in my list. I was just taking an opportunity to articulate some of the observations I've made about the similarities between a number of the films I picked, films which are often, for whatever reason, not particularly well-regarded critically (even allowing for the fact that, by and large, high-profile film critics have maintained a more populist streak than their musical counterparts, though that in itself is a multi-faceted concept and a conversation for another time), whilst at the same time acknowledging my (rather more embarrassing) ignorance of non-mainstream/non-English language films. (Apologies for that Rubik's Cube of a sentence.)
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/31/2020 20:35
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
(Apologies for that Rubik's Cube of a sentence.)

Many of the best sentences are Rubik's Cubes.

And if we're talking flavour, the 90s really only ended around 2003. I get what you mean with the vibe the films had (and were allowed to do). Mainstream had slightly more liberties back then, slightly less shame in releasing something that could potentially be bad, etc... pre-Rotten Tomatoes environment. The death of some of those concepts is a shame. Something like Space Jam would never be made nowadays.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 08/31/2020 22:52
  • Post subject:
The “dirty aesthetics” thing isn’t limited to movies imo. A lot of popular music, from grunge to hip hop to industrial, was very “dirty” sounding and took a lot of risks. Even fashion/design were weird in the mid 90s, probably due to Nirvana.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 08/31/2020 23:01
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Something like Space Jam would never be made nowadays.

Good. Kill the thing which turned Looney Tunes into a sellout for 20 years. Space Jam is the biggest sellout of the 90's. Let's do a sports move... in space... and make it a live-action animated hybrid! The only thing missing is a talking dog. I read that the writers of Space Jam had absolutely no faith in the movie as a story, so they didn't even attempt to write a good one. And thanks to the success of this sellout, that's why we have lower quality Looney Tunes projects like Baby Looney Tunes (meh), Looney Tunes: Back in Action (decent for a kid's spy movie), and... I'm skipping the shit one and going right to The Looney Tunes Show, which wasn't very looney. The songs sucked, and there wasn't enough of the Road Runner. And then we had Wabbit. Again, meh. Now we have Looney Tunes Cartoons which is alright, but it still recycles old material.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 09/01/2020 01:49
  • Post subject:
I had a Space Jam birthday party when I was 3; complete with a carboard cutout of Michael Jordan and a big basketball cake. All the Monstars and Bugs Bunny were there, too.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 09/01/2020 02:55
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I had a Space Jam birthday party when I was 3; complete with a carboard cutout of Michael Jordan and a big basketball cake. All the Monstars and Bugs Bunny were there, too.

Was it at Six Flags? That sounds like a Six Flags party.
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 09/01/2020 03:29
  • Post subject:
I'm halfway through Sleepless in Seattle. There's nothing going on with Bill Pullman or Rosie O'Donnell. I usually really enjoy her acting, but the two are not given enough screen time. Other than the radio plot point at the beginning setting up the plot, nothing else feels original. But none of it feels bad, either. There are plenty of enjoyable moments, and the kid's antics are fun to watch.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 09/01/2020 03:30
  • Post subject:
Nope, just my home with the family.

Only amusement park in the KC area is Worlds of Fun. Mr. Green
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 09/01/2020 04:09
  • Post subject:
KC. You know, if I made a theme park in Kansas, there would have to be a Wizard of Oz ride. Is there one at Worlds of Fun?
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/01/2020 04:41
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

27. Vive L'Amour (1994)
29. The Corridor (1995)
33. Cyclo (1995)
43. Khrustalyov, My Car! (1998)
65. The Rose Seller (1998)

Just a quick shoutout to some of the films on my list—

Quote:
Cyclo (1995)

You know what's not helping this film? The goddamn poster—

Look at that. Do I want to watch that? No. No I do not. This does not look like a good film.
Maybe this should have been the poster—

or this—

Luckily, there's a different poster featuring this shot now—

—which helps.

My knowledge of Vietnamese cinema is scarce if none (maybe 3 films, and this is one of them... and the other two are also by this director), but if there's anywhere to start, this is it. Tony Leung Chiu-wai is the lead, and there's plenty of Wong Kar-wai influence. It's basically Wong Kar-wai without... well, Wong Kar-wai. Way too underwatched.

Quote:
Vive L'Amour

This film has an odd amount in common with Cyclo. French/South-Asian mix, won the Golden Lion back-to-back, and people have kinda forgotten about it. Possibly my favourite Tsai Ming-Liang film. Hilarious, devastating, sexy, shoots you with anxiety every few seconds despite being super slow— it just makes you feel things. Also, he's at it with those damn watermelons again.

Quote:
The Corridor (1995)

Landing somewhere between Bela Tarr and Andrei Tarkovsky, void of dialogue, and truly near void of plot, I've always felt it's these sort of films that only cinema can be the medium for. Mysterious, unsaid, beautiful, haunting... how something so simple can be so engrossing is fascinating. This isn't a film for everyone, but if it's a film for you, it's going to be a homerun. Not terribly long either. If you can find it, you should definitely give it a shot.

Quote:
Khrustalyov, My Car! (1998)

This is a new one for me. Only got around to it during lockdown. Despite the time gap, this was the last film of Aleksey German made before wrapping Hard To Be A God fifteen years later, and from what I understand, also the last film he actually saw wrapped. He's definitely here, it's a Aleksey German film— vulgar, gross, chaotic, beautifully shot, bonkers— always with a fresh idea around the corner, spitting in your face. Wish he made more. Based on a Brodsky story, it lands somewhere between Kafka and Kharms, and always keeps you wondering if you should laugh or be scared.

Quote:
The Rose Seller (1998)

If I told you I had two films on my list, one called The Match Factory Girl, the other called The Rose Seller, you might not guess which one is based off of Andersen's The Little Match Girl, but... well, yeah, it's this one. My god the stories behind this film are devastating. Over half the actors have been murdered, some were even dead before its release, and the other half are in prison (including the lead actress... for murder). One's paralyzed from a bullet through the head. In fact, the lead actress was scouted when she was in juvie. Robbed a pizzeria. Also, her boyfriend (who had reportedly killed more people than years he was alive) was murdered sometime between the release of this film and the time she killed someone using two sicarios... her sister was mudered too, a fifteen year-old prostitute. There's now a Colombian telenovela based on the lead actress. Wait— does this have anything to do with the film at all? It does. I should also mention this is a film about children.

Also, I just watched Terminus Paradis (Pintilie, 1998) and I think I have to make room for it on my list Brick wall
  • Visit poster's website