Best Films of The 90s [List]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Bach

Italy

• Posted: 10/19/2020 21:20
  • Post subject:
I don't like the final list but at least it’s slightly better than the old one.
There are many films I dislike (such as the #1) or I don’t care for, and nothing from Cronenberg, Greenaway, Jarman, Woody Allen, Tsai Ming-liang …
  • Visit poster's website
NewsFromHome

• Posted: 10/19/2020 21:31
  • Post subject:
Bach wrote:
Tsai Ming-liang …

Good man. Which reminds me are we going to do the asian film tournament next?
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/20/2020 01:06
  • Post subject:
Bach wrote:
I don't like the final list but at least it’s slightly better than the old one.
There are many films I dislike (such as the #1) or I don’t care for, and nothing from Cronenberg, Greenaway, Jarman, Woody Allen, Tsai Ming-liang …

Naked Lunch was almost always on the list.... Think Not sure I noticed when it left. May have only been a day or two before the deadline.

I've never seen any of Greenway's 90s films. Might give one a watch some time soon.

Woody Allen never had a film in the top 100 at any point.

Quote:
Which reminds me are we going to do the asian film tournament next?

Whatever it is, it 100% won't be a V2. If it's Asian films, it's Asian films, if it's 2020, it's 2020, if it's whatever etc..., but I think it's best not to do the 80s again right now.

Asia could be a huge undertaking, but it could also be a phenomenal list. I don't usually come across lists that are all of Asia, typically just one country.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2020 02:11
  • Post subject:
Some thoughts and observations:

1. Animated kidpics took a big dump from the first list (which I'm not saddened by). Lion King, Aladdin, Toy Story 2, Beauty and the Beast, The Iron Giant, and Nightmare Before Christmas all significantly dropped or left the list entirely. It's possible participants haven't watched these films in many years, since childhood, thus they've faded from nostalgia to distant memory. Although, as Hayden implied, Disney remaking them could have also hurt their performances this time around. It's cool to see Toy Story is hanging in there. And to avoid a semantics squabble, this does not apply to Princess Mononoke, haha. We all know it's not for kids. And I'm pretty sure it's the only animated film to improve its position, nice. It deserved to.

2. Another noticeably large drop was Jurassic Park. Similarly to Disney remakes possibly hurting their animated classics, did the Jurassic World movies ruin the original for some folks?

3. Much more representation at the international level. Couldn't help but notice many leavers from the old list were English-language while many new entrants were not. At the same time, several Version 1 Non-English films saw their rankings improve. Ditto on the leap for Chungking Express, however Fallen Angels doesn't come close to that. Sorry Hayden.

4. Tom Hanks moved around a lot. The internet hate for Gump in recent years has really intensified from what I've seen and our list reflects that. I really liked the film but I haven't seen it years, curious what I'll think next time I see it. However, I'm glad to see Saving Private Ryan sunk along with it, overrated movie. And then The Green Mile improved and now sits ahead of both aforementioned films, didn't see that coming.

5. The Player made it this time! Let's get Short Cuts on there in 5 years.

6. Overall, this new list is great, more mature. We're five years older and wiser from the last list.

7. However, comedy took a hit from the five-year gap. Silly comedies can seem easy to replace with sophisticated art films, but never lose your sense of humor. I gave what I consider generous rankings to Office Space, Clerks, Dumb and Dumber, Rushmore, Dazed and Confused, Beavis and Butthead Do America, BASEketball, etc. Didn't prevent them from significantly dropping nor missing the list in general. Somewhere Tha1ChiefRocka is disappointed.

Last edited by CA Dreamin on 10/20/2020 02:43; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2020 02:20
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
Somewhere Tha1ChiefRocka is disappointed.

Always am Crying or Very sad
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/20/2020 02:47
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:

1. Animated kidpics took a big dump from the first list (which I'm not saddened by). Lion King, Aladdin, Toy Story 2, Beauty and the Beast, The Iron Giant, and Nightmare Before Christmas all significantly dropped or left the list entirely. It's possible participants haven't watched these films in many years, since childhood, thus they've faded from nostalgia to distant memory. Although, as Hayden implied, Disney remaking them could have also hurt their performances this time around. It's cool to see Toy Story is hanging in there. And to avoid a semantics squabble, this does not apply to Princess Mononoke, haha. We all know it's not for kids. And I'm pretty sure it's the only animated film to improve its position, nice. It deserved to.

2. Another noticeably large drop was Jurassic Park. Similarly to Disney remakes possibly hurting their animated classics, did the Jurassic World movies ruin the original for some folks?

It is a somewhat more serious list, if that's not too pretentious a way to put it. Couple comedies in the top 10 does it some good though. I was a little scared Schindler's List would be our #1 and make us look crazy bleak.

I think the Disney films dropped for the reason we mentioned. This entire revamp era might be digging into the reputation of the original films. Brings them down a notch or something. I knocked Beauty and The Beast down a few spots on my list myself— it usually floats about the top 20 but I figured it needed a slight reassessment.

Ghibli did well, and by all means 66% of Pixar's 90s output is on the board (which isn't too shabby), but interestingly the big Japanese animated film that didn't make the cut was Ghost In The Shell, which also suffered a poor remake recently. Revamps hurting the original title might be a real thing.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2020 06:15
  • Post subject:
My number 1 barely made it into the top 50 but my number 2 is still top ten. Pulp Fiction at No. 1 seemed like a given but I love it so no problem there.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 10/20/2020 09:47
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
... but interestingly the big Japanese animated film that didn't make the cut was Ghost In The Shell, which also suffered a poor remake recently. Revamps hurting the original title might be a real thing.

Sad

Bug's Life missing out pains me dearly too. But I don't think the list is too serious, there's a solid amount of comedies, comical dramas, animated films etc. Nice to see True Romance making the cut, although I know it's a divisive movie. What perhaps surprised me the most apart from The Lion King is the -53 drop for Good Will Hunting.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/20/2020 13:45
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
is the -53 drop for Good Will Hunting.

OH, right. That 'major omission' I mentioned in the poll thread was Good Will Hunting. It wasn't in the top 100 until a day before the deadline Confused Kept floating around the 120-130 range.

Got a huge last-minute boost from a few lists though.

I haven't a clue what happened with the loss of love for that film. Glad it eventually landed.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 10/20/2020 15:01
  • Post subject:
I just for me, its hard compiling a top 100 of the 90s because of how much I really like from that decade. If you allowed us to chart 200 the list might look different.
  • Visit poster's website