Basketball Megathread (Current Topic: 2023-24 Season)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 05/28/2021 05:53
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
EyeKanFly wrote:
Also that popcorn thing was ridiculous, but I did love Scott Brooks' comment about "Philadelphia is better than this". Like... I say this as someone who dearly loves Philadelphia: No, Scott. Philadelphia is not better than that.
I didn't know about the popcorn incident until reading this thread. Philadelphia is better than that. It's very frustrating to me when crap like this happens, when one terrible fan continues the narrative/stereotype. Ban that guy for life.

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2019/...lysis.html
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2021 06:50
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2019/11/yes-philadelphia-eagles-fans-did-throw-snowballs-at-santa-claus-heres-why-that-guy-had-it-coming-anti-analysis.html

What's your point?
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2021 11:43
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
What's your point?

further anecdotal evidence of Philly sports fans having less than stellar behavior. While Philly does have this reputation, everyone has to remember that every city/region has their share of fans that are so hardcore that they have no regard for decency. You can look at most cities and find history of poor behavior that well outclasses Eagles fans pelting Santa Claus with snowballs, I mean... to my knowledge no Philly sports game has ever had a true riot, unlike Chicago (Disco Demolition), or Cleveland (10 cent beer night). And hell, the Yankees have a rude behavior named after their fans, the Bronx cheer (making the farting noise with your mouth while giving 2 thumbs down). The old Eagles/Phillies stadium also had a jail and courtroom built in to deal with rowdy fans and some point to this being a sign of Philly sports fans being worse than others, but this wasn't the first stadium to do this.

Philly sports fans have just been memed the same way "Florida man" has. Is Florida actually crazier than other states? Maybe, but it might just be that we latch onto the crazy Florida stories more than other states. Same thing applies to Philly sports fans.

And that 76ers fan has already had his season ticket (for next year) revoked, unknown yet if it'll be a lifetime ban (which can be practically hard to enforce). Quite frankly I find the whole scenario a little humorous, and I think Russ overreacted, but the incident was still uncalled for. I mean... if the fan just booed and heckled like a normal rowdy fan, he still would've been a season ticket holder.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2021 18:45
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
CA Dreamin wrote:
What's your point?
further anecdotal evidence of Philly sports fans having less than stellar behavior. While Philly does have this reputation, everyone has to remember that every city/region has their share of fans that are so hardcore that they have no regard for decency. You can look at most cities and find history of poor behavior that well outclasses Eagles fans pelting Santa Claus with snowballs, I mean... to my knowledge no Philly sports game has ever had a true riot, unlike Chicago (Disco Demolition), or Cleveland (10 cent beer night). And hell, the Yankees have a rude behavior named after their fans, the Bronx cheer (making the farting noise with your mouth while giving 2 thumbs down). The old Eagles/Phillies stadium also had a jail and courtroom built in to deal with rowdy fans and some point to this being a sign of Philly sports fans being worse than others, but this wasn't the first stadium to do this.

Philly sports fans have just been memed the same way "Florida man" has. Is Florida actually crazier than other states? Maybe, but it might just be that we latch onto the crazy Florida stories more than other states. Same thing applies to Philly sports fans.

And that 76ers fan has already had his season ticket (for next year) revoked, unknown yet if it'll be a lifetime ban (which can be practically hard to enforce). Quite frankly I find the whole scenario a little humorous, and I think Russ overreacted, but the incident was still uncalled for. I mean... if the fan just booed and heckled like a normal rowdy fan, he still would've been a season ticket holder.
I was asking Gowi what her point was for sharing that article, because the author describes the Santa incident from a Philly fan's perspective and kinda makes excuses for it. So was the intent to defend Philly fans, or further scold them? Either way, it's irrelevant to bring up the Santa incident to criticize Philly fans today because it took place 52 years ago. Any fan who threw snowballs at Santa on that bitter cold day in 1968 is either dead or extremely old by now, so get over it. I don't hear anybody still criticizing Vikings fans for the whiskey bottle that knocked out an official in 1975. Hell, I rarely hear anybody still scolding Pistons fans for the Malice in the Palace in 2004 (which was much more recent and far worse than the Santa incident, by the way).

Anyway, I totally agree with EyeKanFly. Poor fan behavior exists in every city/fan-base. It's always a small fraction of the fan-base, not the fan-base in general. A few Philly fans have done some pretty awful things over the years. However, for whatever reason, sports media sensationalizes Philly fans more than those of other cities. Just in the past couple days, there was far more media coverage of the Russell Westbrook popcorn incident than the Knicks fan who spit on Trae Young and the Jazz fans who made racist and sexist remarks to Ja Morant's family. But it's like EyeKanFly said, we latch onto Philly fan stories the way we latch onto Florida Man stories. That's a really good comparison. Two things; 1) Sports media should be more balanced in their coverage of rude fans. And 2) Philly fans need to stop this nonsense. It's only continuing the narrative, reputation, and stereotype. As a Philly fan, it's embarrassing and frustrating to me.

I'm rambling at this point, so I'll cut myself off. Let's go Sixers.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 05/28/2021 20:34
  • Post subject:
Sorry all, but Lakers are rounding into form and LeBron is regaining health looking more and more spry and confident. Barring injury, the West is a wrap!

And maybe the following will prove to be an overreaction, but...

Milwaukie is looking like they have an even better shot than I thought at beating the Nets. They have the defenders to at least slow them and are really playing together (Holiday on Kyrie or Harden, Giannis on KD and roaming to cause havoc... and if Middleton can approach the scoring of one of Kyrie or Harden, plus Giannis + Lopez key factors around the basket to which the Nets could not have much of an answer to, then hmmmm... Think ). Starting to wonder if I should've stuck with my pick at season start (Lakers vs Milwaukie). The Nets are the choice on paper but Milwaukie is looking more and more like the sort of complete team (elite off and def) and toughness through adversity that tends to get through to the Finals. We should know for sure what the Nets are made of vs the Bucks. And, vice versa for the Bucks to see if they can take them down.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 05/29/2021 05:58
  • Post subject:
I'm not a Clippers fan particularly but it was good for how compelling these playoffs can be, to see them play with much more urgency and ball movement tonight. If they turn the corner, which it appears they can (they "should" beat Dallas), things could get very interesting out West, because both Utah and the Clippers have the personnel to pose some real problems for the Lakers as they are excellent 3 point shooting teams and the Clippers have excellent wing defenders (even though it currently appears to not be as true as once thought) to bother Lebron, and Utah could bother AD and the driving ability of Lebron with their defense (especially Gobert). I still think the Lakers get through either one, but the path is not as smooth if the Clippers solve Dallas and in the process start playing with real urgency and championship level intensity -- consistently -- as in tonight but from here on out. Just one game but it might be the start of something (I'll believe it when I see it for the rest of the series).

And... damn Tatum! He went Kobe on that Super Team. Amazing effort, lots of heart by Tatum, Smart and an over-matched Boston squad.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 05/29/2021 15:05
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:

And... damn Tatum! He went Kobe on that Super Team. Amazing effort, lots of heart by Tatum, Smart and an over-matched Boston squad.

Hell yeah! Great game to watch!
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 05/30/2021 21:47
  • Post subject:
I'm really enjoying both the NBA and NHL playoffs... Maybe it's because I have no skin in the game (Raps out, Flyers/Flames out), but I think the play has been fantastic, and there's plenty of parity.
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 06/01/2021 13:56
  • Post subject:
Case in point:
https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status...0277868549
DC fans can be trash people too Rolling Eyes

On another note, Wizards are still in this! I un-redact my statement claiming the series would closer than people think! (and most people probably assumed a 76ers sweep so...I'm already right?) Laughing
kokkinos

• Posted: 06/01/2021 16:53
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:

On another note, Wizards are still in this! I un-redact my statement claiming the series would closer than people think! (and most people probably assumed a 76ers sweep so...I'm already right?) Laughing

I wanna say you were lucky because of Embiid's injury, but it seems that's always an accident waiting to happen, it is to be expected sooner or later. Sad but true.
  • Visit poster's website